Weather

SeanDoe1z1

That was a crazy day for weather. 05/31/2013 I was at the Moore Warren movie theater while all of that was going down. It was 11 days after an EF5 tore through Moore and destroyed the Moore medical center next door just North of the Warren. The Warren is built like a big reinforced concrete box so, the building is like a giant safe room.

Anyway, 5/31/2013 was the evening that channel 4 meteorologist Mike Morgan, on the air, told the audience to get in the car and head south. Which was a worse idea as the evening went on.

Lived in Moore also for a time. Honestly I can't really fault people that try to GTFO. In terms of natural diasters, tornados are up there as "yelp well gee probably dead today, had a good run!"

The lack of warning can be brutal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
We are about to be on week 5 of raining almost every day here. A friend of mine works at an apartment complex they just built and they didn't to the SWP properly and all of their first floor apartments are sitting in about 3 inches of water. Going to be interesting to see how some of these low lying areas handle another week of rain.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lived in Moore also for a time. Honestly I can't really fault people that try to GTFO. In terms of natural diasters, tornados are up there as "yelp well gee probably dead today, had a good run!"

The lack of warning can be brutal.
Yeah, my last few years living in the midwest I feel like there were tornadoes almost every week during tornado season. It gets old fast because you basically get no warning and have to drop everything to find somewhere that won't be instant death if it ends up within half a mile of you. Don't think I'd ever want to live somewhere with regular tornadoes again.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Some comments from my friend regarding the claims that more hurricanes=climate change.

Right now we are dealing with a big bump in storms, but the same thing has happened before (2004-2005 hurricane season) and for all we know after this year we could go back into a quiet period. We really are not yet able to point at each storm individually just like we cannot point to every individual criminal and say that "x societal" issue forced them to break the law. We also live in the satellite era (1967-present) of hurricane forecasting. Before satellites, many storms, especially the smaller or weaker ones, would happen un-noticed unless a ship had the misfortune of being caught in one and reported back news of the storm. This caused a significant bump in the number of reported storms over the past 50 years. Even more recently we started to include subtropical storms in our records as named storms which further boosted both the number of actual storms and ACE (accumulated cyclone energy) values that each season has reported. If you look at the statistical information below you will see there is a bit of an increase but not a substantial one and most of that bump has happened in the satellite and subtropical storm inclusion eras.

cnf154m5awhe.jpg

4prl3pialzqq.jpg

83j2ojwfr8qi.jpg

4uibbfycmizd.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I guess a lot of people are shitting their pants over Hurricane Michael. I am worried it might fuck up my Friday flight back to Tampa.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I would say that's likely. In Orlando we should be fine but Tampa is a lot closer.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
I would say that's likely. In Orlando we should be fine but Tampa is a lot closer.

Well worse case I get stuck in Nashville over the weekend I guess. I'll drink some beer and pretend country music doesn't suck.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It's been raining nonstop for 4 days my sump pump is working overtime

• 2Like

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hurricane Michael just got upgrade to a Cat 4. RIP the panhandle of Florida.

5yQSVeE.png

033350_3day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I hate the alarmism of "NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE".

I think you mean in the last 150 or so years.

Nonetheless, everyone should get out, on general principle. But OMG NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE is really stupid coming from the NWS.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I hate the alarmism of "NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE".

I think you mean in the last 150 or so years.

Nonetheless, everyone should get out, on general principle. But OMG NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE is really stupid coming from the NWS.
or never been this accurately measured before using modern technology, but yes, get the fuck out and dont try to be badass because that thing is literally coming right at you. one of my old EQ friends lives in panama city and i asked her several times today if she's making sure to get somewhere safe. she assures me its no big deal and she's fine. i'll be happy when that thing blows out and i hear from her that she is ok.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
or never been this accurately measured before using modern technology, but yes, get the fuck out and dont try to be badass because that thing is literally coming right at you. one of my old EQ friends lives in panama city and i asked her several times today if she's making sure to get somewhere safe. she assures me its no big deal and she's fine. i'll be happy when that thing blows out and i hear from her that she is ok.
sounds like she needs
latest

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
sounds like she needs
latest
ironically, during velius, i often had to retrieve her corpse from SIren's Grove because she got fucked up by a walrus or she friggin drowned. i gave her my FB earring after the third time so would cut down on the retrievals. you'd be amazed how even the highest geared players on a server lacked the most basic noob staples. like i had one friend die in PoAIr during PoP because he never got himself a FB earring either. then there was the countless others who would die running through The Grey to Ssra during Luclin who thought their breathing AA would save them.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ironically, during velius, i often had to retrieve her corpse from SIren's Grove because she got fucked up by a walrus or she friggin drowned. i gave her my FB earring after the third time so would cut down on the retrievals. you'd be amazed how even the highest geared players on a server lacked the most basic noob staples. like i had one friend die in PoAIr during PoP because he never got himself a FB earring either. then there was the countless others who would die running through The Grey to Ssra during Luclin who thought their breathing AA would save them.
oh, that was like the annoying useless zone before WW, i think, wasn't it just hug the left wall and run?

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
oh, that was like the annoying useless zone before WW, i think, wasn't it just hug the left wall and run?
yeah, but that was after you swam through the one area. there was a glitch everyone exploted if you zoned in and camped it brought your character to the the WW zone automatically. then then they changed it so you had to do that swim then hug left run. then i think they changed it again to include see invis mobs, that got a bunch of us, (including me). so many of our guildies died that my GL would get pissed and just clear out the trash first so we would only have to do the swim and run and not worry about the mobs. people still died. it was a big pain in the ass. we could destroy every big bad that came our way, but the most basic shit would fuck us up. i'm not even going to get into people falling into lava or how people never built their swimming skills at all and so they would have trouble getting somewhere and then getting out of the water/lava.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yeah, but that was after you swam through the one area. there was a glitch everyone exploted if you zoned in and camped it brought your character to the the WW zone automatically. then then they changed it so you had to do that swim then hug left run. then i think they changed it again to include see invis mobs, that got a bunch of us, (including me). so many of our guildies died that my GL would get pissed and just clear out the trash first so we would only have to do the swim and run and not worry about the mobs. people still died. it was a big pain in the ass. we could destroy every big bad that came our way, but the most basic shit would fuck us up. i'm not even going to get into people falling into lava or how people never built their swimming skills at all and so they would have trouble getting somewhere and then getting out of the water/lava.
oh yea, that fucking swim.

can kill dragons, but suddenly put in a 3D axis and you suddenly become pulp. yea a lot of the older ppl couldn't deal w/ it

• 1Like