Weather

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so is florida gonna get fucked or did Trump cast Blanket of Protection on Mar a largo?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Just saw on the news. Louisiana sending 35 ambulances and ems crews to Florida. It will probably stall and turn now.

• 1Like

Borzak

Pretty strong mead there from <sniff> Sam Peckinpah!

They updated the story now. 7 ambulancs and 35 total rescue type vehicles whatever those are. I thought 35 sounded high, lot of areas in LA don't have more than 1-2 ambulances I'm sure. Drop in the bucket for populated areas.

Pretty sure the Cajun Navy is getting ready to deploy.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Just saw an update. Category 4 hitting lower FL and skirting up the coast to GA, SC, and NC. That would be bad I think, just far enough offshore to keep moisture flowing and staying strong and skirting the coast a long way. Of course that's all no duh. But the track they showed it being cat 4 all the way up the coast.

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
b750b32.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It's a brutal Cat 5. 180 mph winds. Bahamas gonna' get wrecked. Looking pretty "good" for south FL right now. All models in agreement as of 11am update:

1567354070834.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Would have been sweet if my first hurricane wasn't this fucking monster.

• 1Like

Oldbased

> Than U
My cat did a cat 5 dive onto my fiber line/modem so my internet is down till Tuesday. National FoH Weather Service signing off. Also 220 mph gusts and 23 foot surge in Bahamas. Rip them

Last edited:
  • 1Rustled

iannis

Musty Nester
They're all monster storms.

At a personal level there isn't a lot of difference between a 3 and a 5 (unless you live within 20 miles of the coast). It's more about how extensive the damage is.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Modern post-Andrew building codes have made a world of difference. The damage to house built in the last 20 years is so much less severe than those older homes. Not shit you can do about flood damage but scenes of flattened house caused by old roof structures not being able to handle the sustained winds arent as common as they used to be. Once I had my storm glass and storm doors installed (with a hurricane rated roof), all I really cared about was flooding and random tornadoes being spawned. Storm rated windows are the tits if you live in hurricane alley.

• 3Like

Siliconemelons

Modern post-Andrew building codes have made a world of difference. The damage to house built in the last 20 years is so much less severe than those older homes. Not shit you can do about flood damage but scenes of flattened house caused by old roof structures not being able to handle the sustained winds arent as common as they used to be. Once I had my storm glass and storm doors installed (with a hurricane rated roof), all I really cared about was flooding and random tornadoes being spawned. Storm rated windows are the tits if you live in hurricane alley.

Normal old homes are good also... Andrew hit homestead that was literally a bunch of shit built "new" stick frame homes before stick frames didn't completely suck for wind resistance.

I don't think we will (hopefully) ever see miles and miles of roofs just all gone like what Andrew did.

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Normal old homes are good also... Andrew hit homestead that was literally a bunch of shit built "new" stick frame homes before stick frames didn't completely suck for wind resistance.

I don't think we will (hopefully) ever see miles and miles of roofs just all gone like what Andrew did.
We shouldnt. Countrywalk was built with wood facia on the second floor and the quality was shit. Concrete block on the 1st floor wasn't poured either if I recall correctly. It was basically 3rd world quality.

When it comes to saving money building a house, poured concrete isnt the place to save money.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users