Weather

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
well looks like next month are gonna have very many *flood damage* *as is* cars up for auction,

was those cars at the hotel parking lot? are the lobby doors actually holding back the water?
no doubt some can. hotel doors can get pretty thick.
iu

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
well looks like next month are gonna have very many *flood damage* *as is* cars up for auction,

was those cars at the hotel parking lot? are the lobby doors actually holding back the water?
When I bought my Malibu last year the guy claimed he was selling it for his son and it had been parked in a barn for several years.
It started and ran fine but shortly after buying it I started noticing a pattern of engine /dash light issues. One day it would show misfire, next day cam issue, next day egr/vac, next day ABS beep beep beep.
I replaced a crap ton of sensors and parts as I had planned on it anyways, but when I was putting in my Sony stereo and running wires for the subs I noticed the vents had lots of sand down in them and the carpet when pulled back often had a layer of dirt residue under it.
The more I thought about it the more I think it had been flooded, partially restored, let sit to fishup the title and then sold to me.
Course I only paid $900 for it and put $500 in it and haven't had a dash light or issue in 7 months now. It runs like new and claims to have 100k miles on it. Not bad for going on 20 years old.
I still have the TTop TransAm but it is so much easier to get in and out of the Malibu and even though it is a small car, it is all back seat and trunk, but ya. Every damn hurricane our lots up in KY suddenly get tons of used out of state cars. Not flooded, we promise!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
no doubt some can. hotel doors can get pretty thick.
iu
Few years back stayed at a resort in Daytona on the beach. We get up to the room and it had a paper on how to use the balcony door.
It was a Larson Hurricane door system that kept bragging about being able to withstand hurricane winds and how waterproof it was.
We were staying on the 18th floor.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Power out here at midnight. Track headed right here. Wireless weather station show gust of 72. Hearing trees fall.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Heard that was an error caused by low readings on the flood gauge

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So it was my understanding that the real danger with hurricanes is flooding/surge and not wind. And when it is wind, it's because of projectiles.

Since most of these buildings had been through Katrina (and likely replaced), why does it seem like the wind is such a major problem? I feel like a roof shouldn't be flying off as frequently as we're seeing.

Is this just a Louisiana problem? Or are winds more of a factor than I was led to believe?

Borzak

Our tree across road. Neighbor's tree across power lines. 200 miles from gulf.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So it was my understanding that the real danger with hurricanes is flooding/surge and not wind. And when it is wind, it's because of projectiles.

Since most of these buildings had been through Katrina (and likely replaced), why does it seem like the wind is such a major problem? I feel like a roof shouldn't be flying off as frequently as we're seeing.

Is this just a Louisiana problem? Or are winds more of a factor than I was led to believe?
Wind is definitely a problem. Storms tend to be referred to as either wind events or rain events. Sometimes both. Wind obviously can throw shit around, and knock down power lines and trees. A well built house can survive with "minor" damage like roof tiles and shingles. The problem is either poorly built houses or if major wind can find a way into the house. Once the wind gets in, it looks for a way out. They way out is usually the roof. Wind goes in and then blows out the roof to exit. Sometimes it will blow out a wall. Roofs can also go if the wind can get up underneath a corner or section and then it just peels it backwards. Its why new building codes mandating poured concrete walls and double tabbed roofs made storms much less of a problem. Not 100% but a lot less likely to be destroyed.

Older, wood structures can be fucked up by strong gusts. Brick can go also if wind finds a way in and needs to find a way out.

• 1Like

Borzak

No water. 3 tres landed on control room and generator off water tower right down road.

Borzak

Cell signal coming and going. Most I talked to that were in baton rouge never lost power. Storm went just east of them. By the time left LA it was right up I55

• 1Like

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Well this hurricane really kicked our asses in Louisiana. Crazy thing Ida arrived the same day as Katrina. My mother house got flooded with water again. Fuck this we’re going to sell her home and have her move in the area I’m at where it doesn’t flood.

I’m hearing water high as 15 feet in some areas and I’m seeing people on Facebook trapped in their attics posting for a rescue as the water rises. Levees in other parts of the state broke and flooded many homes. I’m not sure if anything happened to my house but I was told most of the home in my subdivision had roof damage like missing shingles.

• 4Like
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 5 users