Weather

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every video there's some idiot guy walking through waist deep shitwater, fucking disgusting

I work as a wastewater operator. You could shit and piss out your window if you had those kinds of floods. There is nothing that the wastewater system is doing to deal with that and all that water has sewage in it. You want water proof gear if you are wading in that water. I doubt toilets even work as the entire system would be backed up.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it was some of the hardest rain ive ever seen. i thought it was getting windy outside at one point. no, it wasnt. i looked outside and the rain was coming down so hard it was making a large pounding noise that sounded like the wind whooshing around. never heard that shit before. hope i never hear it again.
haha yea, i never heard horizontal rain until i moved out to ks

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Louisiana is up to 3 deaths now. The number of those deaths seem crazy.
how the fuck la took the brunt of the storm and only had 3 deaths while ny had a bit of extra rain and had 8deaths?

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Louisiana is up to 3 deaths now. The number of those deaths seem crazy.
Lots of NYers cant swim. Lots of NYers do stupid shit like drive in 8 feet of water (and cant swim). NY basements are basically concrete death traps in a flood. And this bears repeating.. NYers do lots of stupid shit.

• 3Like

Oldbased

> Than U
it was some of the hardest rain ive ever seen. i thought it was getting windy outside at one point. no, it wasnt. i looked outside and the rain was coming down so hard it was making a large pounding noise that sounded like the wind whooshing around. never heard that shit before. hope i never hear it again.
Down south we call them thunderstorms and it happens about 30 times a year. Rain so hard it hits the ground and splashes up on windows 5 feet off the ground and visibility so low you can't see 75 feet ahead.
When Ida came through KY it still had some wind so it was wind driven rain and I had 3 doc appointments on that day the 31st but the actual rain event was meh. 3-5 inches which happens multiple times a year here.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Oldbased

> Than U
how the fuck la took the brunt of the storm and only had 3 deaths while ny had a bit of extra rain and had 8deaths?
Same reason on the flip side they can have 80 inches of snow and not cancel school but if LA had a dusting it would shut down forever.
Infrastructure and design and preparedness.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Down south we call them thunderstorms and it happens about 30 times a year. Rain so hard it hits the ground and splashes up on windows 5 feet off the ground and visibility so low you can't see 75 feet ahead.
When Ida came through KY it still had some wind so it was wind driven rain and I had 3 doc appointments on that day the 31st but the actual rain event was meh. 3-5 inches which happens multiple times a year here.
Yankees have no idea what weather is like down South. I sleep like a baby in heavy T-storms. Lots of nice rhythmic beating on the roof and windows.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Same reason on the flip side they can have 80 inches of snow and not cancel school but if LA had a dusting it would shut down forever.
Infrastructure and design and preparedness.
Nope. They shut down schools constantly on snow days because there are never enough plows to clear the roads in time for school buses to run on snow days.

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Similar to flash flooding I imagine. Unless a levee breaks in Louisiana not much flash flooding. In non hurricanes that flooding normally takes days to back up and get to you. When when it rained 36" on Baton Rouge over 2 days in 2016 it was all backflooding not flash flooding. Downriver is only so far away for everywhere in Louisiana. Also monst/a lot of people know where they live what it takes to flood. Growing up we had the highest point in the subdivision. Other parts got water or it would cross the road. We didn't. In 2016 everything in the subdivion flooded very high, according to the neighbor that still lives there that house stayed dry.

Saw it happen in the hill country of TX as well. Flash flood and people try to swim across, drive across etc..No water someplace and 5 minutes later flooded and someone dies.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Nope. They shut down schools constantly on snow days because there are never enough plows to clear the roads in time for school buses to run on snow days.

That's changed a lot over the years. Was looking at pics just the other day and had pics of us throwing snowballs in the parking lot in school after getting there. 9" of snow and school wasn't cancelled. I realise up north that's nothing. But now you're right 0.00010 of snow it's cancelled. They also cancel school now when it's "too hot" or "too cold".

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
february was a bad month, but typically we get about 8-12 inches per storm and it gets handled well. they close school because little pussy kids dont show up and whats the point? when i was a kid, i remember worse snow and school closed maybe twice a year? i looked forward to going because that meant snowball fights and tossing snowballs at buses and scaring the fuck out of people on their way home.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
february was a bad month, but typically we get about 8-12 inches per storm and it gets handled well. they close school because little pussy kids dont show up and whats the point? when i was a kid, i remember worse snow and school closed maybe twice a year? i looked forward to going because that meant snowball fights and tossing snowballs at buses and scaring the fuck out of people on their way home.
We generally get dick for snow out on the Island. It sort of disappointed me when I moved here because I expected "snow" in winter. Parents up here wont let little Timmy walk to school less than a mile in the snow 4 or 5 times a year it snows. Its fucking sad

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
We generally get dick for snow out on the Island. It sort of disappointed me when I moved here because I expected "snow" in winter. Parents up here wont let little Timmy walk to school less than a mile in the snow 4 or 5 times a year it snows. Its fucking sad
i hate little Timmy, i bet his mom drove him to school every day and made him a hot lunch from home. we had a few Timmys back in the day too. one little bitch named David, lived around the corner from me and he couldnt come out unless his mom gave him permission. we would go to his house and yell for him, his mom, a big fat bitch would charge out and scream at us for yelling her son's name and that he wasnt allowed to play with us and that we were terrible people and get out of there before she called the cops. all we wanted was to ask if he wanted to play kickball in the playground. well fuck that kid. 40 years later and the Timmys are in charge of the world.

• 2Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
*laughs in Florida*

I drove to work this afternoon in rain so hard windshield wipers on the ultra fast setting couldn't keep up with visibility about 3 car lengths. That's just a normal afternoon shower.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
*laughs in Florida*

I drove to work this afternoon in rain so hard windshield wipers on the ultra fast setting couldn't keep up with visibility about 3 car lengths. That's just a normal afternoon shower.
81tkO8TLANL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
Yeah rain becomes a curtain at a point and you can't see 10 feet in front of you even without a windshield.

• 3Like