Weather

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
80% more precise, only because of the degree spacing, but it's antiquated as attested by water freezing at the arbitrary number of 32 instead of a sensible 0.

And what does Obama have to do with any of this? Or Canadians? Celcius is a European convention.
rrr_img_10152.jpg

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Also, visiting my kids right now in Northern MN. When I woke up this morning it was -27F with a Windchill of -55F

I do not miss it here at all.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Celcius is a European convention.
Nah. It's a "pretty much everyone but the USA" convention, unless you're talking about ovens for some reason. I've yet to figure out why my oven, sold in Canada, isn't in Celsius... annoying.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Does ice qualify as dry if it doesn't melt?
Yup. Also qualifies if it sublimates.

Alkorin_sl said:
Nah. It's a "pretty much everyone but the USA" convention, unless you're talking about ovens for some reason. I've yet to figure out why my oven, sold in Canada, isn't in Celsius... annoying.
Heh, for cooking, mechanical/heating stuff, and hot tubs I go by F. For weather I go by C. Us Canadians are all goofy that way. Ask a typical Canadian how tall they are or how much they weigh, and at least out West, 95% will answer in feet, inches and pounds.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Heh, for cooking, mechanical/heating stuff, and hot tubs I go by F. For weather I go by C. Us Canadians are all goofy that way. Ask a typical Canadian how tall they are or how much they weigh, and at least out West, 95% will answer in feet, inches and pounds.
Yeah, I answer in ft/in/lb as well. My wife's from Belgium, and she gives me a dirty look every single time I don't use metric. It's worth it every time.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah the -40 or so is a real treat today. They've already closed all the local schools for tomorrow because it's going to be just as cold.

Glad I work from home on weeks like this.

rrr_img_10191.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
People who quote the temperature including windchill should be kicked in the balls. That shit is garbage.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Have you been to Chicago in the winter? It's not garbage at all. Just like heat and humidity. 80 degrees (F) can feel extremely unpleasant with high humidity.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I went to boot camp right outside of Chicago. Fuck Chicago in its ass. I will never, EVER go back there in the winter. That was horrible.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Random snow in DC. Wonderful. I thought it wasn't supposed to arrive until tomorrow evening, but apparently they're still calling for that? HOLY SHIT A HALF INCH OF SNOW EVERYONE ON 95 DRIVE 10MPH AND STILL MANAGE TO GET INTO ACCIDENTS AND FUCK UP EVERYONE'S DAY!!!

Plus, I spent 2 years living in -40 BEFORE windchill. Ya'll pussies.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People who quote the temperature including windchill should be kicked in the balls. That shit is garbage.
Yeah, using windchill as a modifier to temperature is ridiculous. Just tell me what the temperature is and what the wind speed is. a windchilld -35C and a -35C with no wind are entirely different things with extremely different ways of mitigating. Shit even when you start to move around 0C you have considerations involving whether or not your windshield wiper fluid will stream liquid ice onto your windshield or will actually help you.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Random snow in DC. Wonderful. I thought it wasn't supposed to arrive until tomorrow evening, but apparently they're still calling for that? HOLY SHIT A HALF INCH OF SNOW EVERYONE ON 95 DRIVE 10MPH AND STILL MANAGE TO GET INTO ACCIDENTS AND FUCK UP EVERYONE'S DAY!!!

Plus, I spent 2 years living in -40 BEFORE windchill. Ya'll pussies.
I passed 3 wrecks this morning on 95. What the fuck is wrong with people?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I passed 3 wrecks this morning on 95. What the fuck is wrong with people?
Those are the same people who back up traffic on perfectly normal days because they slow down to 35mph every time the beltway has a slight turn.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
We- meaning the USA- should be on metric, -there are only 3 countries in the world i believe NOT on the Metric System- USA, Burma and Liberia (atleast according to wikipedia)

we cannot blame Obama for this...we have to blame,Reaganbecause he defunded the 1975 metric conversion act in 1981 or 1982 in a cost cutting move.

congress has passed a new conversion act for federal work projects,

bitch to convert at times if we get a job abutting a new highway layout. since i am so used to engineering convention for feet/tenths/hundredths
and the occasional rod & link measurements we get doing research for jobs. metric is just another "ok fire up the conversion program" aspect of the job.

weather wise...damn cold outside atm. was 3F when i took my son to his bus[email protected]/* <![CDATA[ */!function(t,e,r,n,c,a,p){try{t=document.currentScript||function(){for(t=document.getElementsByTagName('script'),e=t.length;e--;)if(t[e].getAttribute('data-cfhash'))return t[e]}();if(t&&(c=t.previousSibling)){p=t.parentNode;if(a=c.getAttribute('data-cfemail')){for(e='',r='0x'+a.substr(0,2)|0,n=2;a.length-n;n+=2)e+='%'+('0'+('0x'+a.substr(n,2)^r).toString(16)).slice(-2);p.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(decodeURIComponent(e)),c)}p.removeChild(t)}}catch(u){}}()/* ]]> */:40 and was 5F @9am..

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
HOLY SHIT A HALF INCH OF SNOW EVERYONE ON 95 DRIVE 10MPH AND STILL MANAGE TO GET INTO ACCIDENTS AND FUCK UP EVERYONE'S DAY!!!
This is the thing I hate most about winter. Not the cold, not the having to get up earlier and defrost the car, not the huge heating bills. But idiots driving at stupid mph when the roads clearly aren't icy. I hate people.

Those are the same people who back up traffic on perfectly normal days because they slow down to 35mph every time the beltway has a slight turn.
QFT. Up around Bethesda on the beltway is maddening for this reason.

I didnt see any accidents yesterday on the way in but there were two types of drivers: (1) People who decided to do no higher than 20mph pissing everyone off; (2) people who decided to drive extra retarded because OMG OMG OMG I HAZ 4 WHEEL DRIVE.

I'm teleworking today I think. Snow is supposed to start at noon and I'm not trying to deal with that shit. Governments on unscheduled whatever the fuck so husbands also going to telework.