Weather

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I keep hearing snippets about the big fault in CA/west is on the move. Got your earthquake kit ready?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I keep hearing snippets about the big fault in CA/west is on the move. Got your earthquake kit ready?
People who don't live out here think people care about earthquakes. No one cares about earthquakes.

Fires and drought are the only disasters that matter.

It'd be like asking if people in Florida are worried about a tsunami that wipes out the coast. Yeah, it could probably happen, but it's ignoring the much larger chance of a hurricane.

Borzak

People who don't live out here think people care about earthquakes. No one cares about earthquakes.

Fires and drought are the only disasters that matter.

It'd be like asking if people in Florida are worried about a tsunami that wipes out the coast. Yeah, it could probably happen, but it's ignoring the much larger chance of a hurricane.
No I definetly would be more worried about a fire, followed by a mudslide. Both of those can be managed for but they don't.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The one other thing about earthquakes out West is that there is no modern memory outside of the few quakes in California, and it seems the truly devastating quakes haven't really happened in the past few hundred years. I think once a lot of people die, and cities fall down (Portland/Seattle/LA) they will be rebuilt with substantial anti-earthquake technology like in Japan. But until then, because you can't google it and the historical record of these mega quakes was only witnessed by Native American which leaves us without a written record of their devastation. At least that's my take on the west coast mindset of the "megaquake" danger.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Really? I lived in SoCal for over 20 years and I lived above the fucking epicenter of the Northridge earthquake in '94. My house was decimated along with many others. People that were affected by them obviously care.

Borzak

Our parent company is in the bay area. We had to help them on a job. The amount of shit and mass bulk weight of a job due to seismic shit was unreal. Our side of the company said never again, lose our number lol. The amount of labor on a job was incredible. A two story building would be 2 to 3 times as expensive and labor wise, as far as the structural steel part was concerened.

I would say someone was taking it seriously. I toured a shop in Houston that was doing a multi story hospital in CA. They were running their welders on 3 shifts 24/7 due to the amount of fucking welding required on the simplest of shit.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
That sucks. It's gorgeous here. About 65, and it's supposed to be about 80 and clear tomorrow. We've been dropping into the 50s at night and haven't run our air conditioner in ages.

Not trying to rub it in, just really enjoying it.

Borzak

West Texas had a hell of a day. Temp dropped from 106F to 50F in 15 minutes and the wind picked up. Wind blew over semis. Sounds like fun.

Borzak

That earthquake you felt, wasn't an earthquake.

USGS says 'earthquake' off Daytona Beach Shores actually experimental explosion' | WFTV

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla.
- A 3.7 magnitude earthquake detected about 168 nautical miles northeast of Daytona Beach Shores has been reclassified and is now thought to have been caused by a man-made explosion.

New information from the U.S. Navy was what prompted the U.S. Geological Survey to change its designation of the quake.

The incident is now called an "experimental explosion," according to the USGS.

Reported at 4 p.m. Saturday, the "earthquake" was detected about 3 miles below the surface of the ocean and was not strong enough to be felt on land.

At about the time the quake was detected, the Navy confirmed Tuesday that it was conducting a full-ship shock trial on the USS Jackson.

The Navy notified the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Marine Fisheries Service that another shock trial would be conducted between July 16 and July 20.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
rrr_img_137092.jpg

Oh, well at least it feels 5 degrees cooler. The record for today is/was actually 100.