Weather

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
A defense company telling employees to "use their vacation days" would be a problem.
But why, though?

I have no idea. There were times when work was called off due to weather. We didn't get paid for no work, but also not being at work wasn't counted against you. No one ever complained.

This is probably closer to my life experience.

I've shown up to job sites and been told we couldn't work. Material wasn't there, GC called work off due to weather (and fears of being sued for cold weather injuries), or maybe other subs weren't done with their shit yet and we couldn't start. Maybe the company could shift you to another job, but a lot of the time...it was just "See y'all whenever"

I get that a lot of people were probably scared of not having income during a disaster (that's fair) but how is that the fault of the company, though?

So, this is where I saw the link for the article I posted above. Read the comments here...this is the kind of stuff I've been seeing. So many people have been talking like this since the weather hit, that it just keeps bugging me. Like...I just can't wrap my head around it. I mean, FFS, I am a Liberal myself...and I still don't fucking get it.

Is wanting handouts from the Gov't not enough anymore? Now employers should just start giving out handouts? Employers need to be responsible for their employee's welfare?

1614734986604.png

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
But why, though?
More accountability when it's a defense company tied into the federal systems, contracts, billables, and direct disaster relief.

Any other business, especially considering it's Texas, can and will tell everyone else to piss off without consequences.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
But why, though?

This is probably closer to my life experience.

I've shown up to job sites and been told we couldn't work. Material wasn't there, GC called work off due to weather (and fears of being sued for cold weather injuries), or maybe other subs weren't done with their shit yet and we couldn't start. Maybe the company could shift you to another job, but a lot of the time...it was just "See y'all whenever"

I get that a lot of people were probably scared of not having income during a disaster (that's fair) but how is that the fault of the company, though?

So, this is where I saw the link for the article I posted above. Read the comments here...this is the kind of stuff I've been seeing. So many people have been talking like this since the weather hit, that it just keeps bugging me. Like...I just can't wrap my head around it. I mean, FFS, I am a Liberal myself...and I still don't fucking get it.

Is wanting handouts from the Gov't not enough anymore? Now employers should just start giving out handouts? Employers need to be responsible for their employee's welfare?

View attachment 338973

Makes me very thankful for who I work for. So far company has covered any days like that where people cannot work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In my tiny industry salary gets paid 40 hours a week regardless. You work there you get your nomal 40 hour pay 52 weeks a year even if you miss days. I lost 3 weeks when I first got sick and still got paid, no medical leave or anything just paid. There's no accumulated time off or whatever, you just take off when you need to. Then vacation of course.

The shop normally gets 40 hours pay when they can't make it in for ice and such. The rest of the time if they are short they get paid what they actually work.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
My prayers to Lord Satan have been answered and CO is about to get a huge dump of snow this weekend. They are predicting 20-30 inches in my area, and up to 90 inches up in the mountains.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wish we would get some moisture here. We're staring down the barrel of a drought right now. Starting to wonder if I should sell cows now to get ahead of it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Fires are always a concern on dry years but the bigger problems are not having enough grass for the cattle and not being able to put up hay for next winter. Then you wind up having to buy hay at high prices in the fall or spend lots of money trucking it in from far away if the drought is widespread. I just spoke for a semi load of hay to get us to spring and it's coming from a couple hundred miles away. The fact that there's no hay for sale in the area right now means that if there's not a good crop this summer it's going to be real spendy next fall.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
So, don't play shitty games trying to cut corners with your electricity is what I'm seeing? That Griddy company looks like the corporate equivalent of the guy driving uber/lyft without getting commercial insurance. 99% of the time it works fine, but you will eventually roll that 1 and get majorly assfucked.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Forecast for tornados and bad weather in the south tomorrow. Must be really expecting something bad. Air Force moved all the B52's out of Barksdale in Shreveport to Minot North Dakota today.

Texas panhandle having blizzard conditions with large accumulation of snow. East Texas is having tonados and severe thunderstorms. Fun fun.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I thought this was pretty interesting if you want a semi-technical explanation of what actually happened to Texas' power grid during the winter storm.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users