Weight Loss Thread

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Dom, you got a link to where you go over your colon stuff? I'm just looking for more information about my colon stuff which is Ulcerative Colitis. I'm having a hell of a time with diet and weightloss right now.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I've been taking multivitamins on top of Dr prescribed vit d and I noticed drastic improvements in many areas, so I'll keep taking them, I'm just not sure how fasting might affect the timing or intake of them since the body has to process so much all in a short time, and I know that the body can only process a certain amount of some nutrients/vitamins etc... At once and just disposes of the rest.

Also, my entire GI process only takes 6 hours due to the colon stuff, so I likely absorb even less than the average person.

In that case, I'd ask your doc what he thinks. Pills can break your fast, but given your conditions it is probably worth taking the small hit to fasting to keep feeling good in other areas.

You can also research online and see if anyone with similar vitamin needs has found good way to mitigate the issues.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If nothing else, I think fasting would help deal with the complications involved with having a reduced colon. Not needing to shit 6 times a day would be great.

What do you guys do for vitamins etc...?

I never really notice anything from multi-vitamins, but i take a garden of life code men once a day or less. I buy them because I look at it as more like staving off dementia one more day, rather than providing any positive benefits now. Imagine hitting 80 and losing all control of your bowels and learning if only you had taken enough manganese and chromium in your 50's you would be fine... I tend to think of vitamins like that, not sure whether I'm enriching a lot of snake oil salesmen or not.

Also, I found this out very recently and I think it's so cool. When I was a kid and stayed up late, my Dad would make 1 sometimes 2 trips to the bathroom every night, my mom too, we have weak bladders or something. I started doing this too about 50% of the time in my mid 20's, but I found out how to sleep all the way through without depriving myself of water: Gatorade. For some reason electrolytes before bed let me sleep all night without moving. So the best 'vitamin' for me right now comes in sugar free gatorade powder packets.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Only thing really missing from a keto type diet is potassium and magnesium and this is why one of the side affects of a keto diet is cramps, sometimes painful. Its the only supplements I took. Or you could go the bone broth way to getting them but I just never had the time to boil some bones for 10-16 hrs. lol. Everything I read about a one a day type vitamin is how effective it is sketchy at best. I guess it cant hurt unless youre overdosing.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
For some reason electrolytes before bed let me sleep all night without moving. So the best 'vitamin' for me right now comes in sugar free gatorade powder packets.

You know this is becoming more and more of a problem for me. I get restless legs and discomfort in my feet and lower legs and find myself waking up in the middle of the night and tossing and turning. I have magnesium drops I just started taking before bed to see if that helps, but I sure would like nice solid all night long sleep. You say sugar free gatorade did the trick for you? hmm

I am on keto.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Aren't leg cramps/pains often associated with a lack of potassium? I think the gatorade powders have all the major electrolytes, potassium included. So it makes sense it would help.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Aren't leg cramps/pains often associated with a lack of potassium?

Yes, and it's very difficult to get potassium in sufficient levels to reach the daily recommended without tailoring your diet around it. You can't reach it via supplements etc... as potassium poisoning is very easy to do.

Some people try bananas but the average banana is only like 1/10th the daily recommended.

Khane

Well, the "daily recommended" levels are based on what is essentially junk science. Just look at the food pyramid. I think the problem would be not getting any potassium at all.

The gatorade powders do indeed have potassium though. So that should help him in theory.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Well, the "daily recommended" levels are based on what is essentially junk science. Just look at the food pyramid. I think the problem would be not getting any potassium at all.

The gatorade powders do indeed have potassium though. So that should help him in theory.

Yeah, I agree with that. But the general advice to deal with cramps etc... is to get more potassium, but the only actual guide to how much to take is the daily recommended stuff.

I used to wake up several times in the night screaming from the most painful calf cramps you can imagine. In my case I think it was a dehydration issue.

LiquidDeath

The other problem people have is that drinking a shitload of water actually depletes your body of electrolytes, so if you aren't taking in salt and magnesium and potassium in larger amounts then you were before you started drinking lots of water then you're gonna feel like shit. You don't even need to make bone broth to get them, though, you can just heat up some beef stock or beef broth from a can or carton and drink it straight. I put more salt in it for taste, but it is super easy and a lot cheaper and healthier than gatorade.

• 1Like

Khane

I eat a fair amount of spinach and avocados, even when doing keto, which are both good sources of potassium. Avocados are a better source of potassium than bananas with way less carbs (especially sugar).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The other problem people have is that drinking a shitload of water actually depletes your body of electrolytes, so if you aren't taking in salt and magnesium and potassium in larger amounts then you were before you started drinking lots of water then you're gonna feel like shit. You don't even need to make bone broth to get them, though, you can just heat up some beef stock or beef broth from a can or carton and drink it straight. I put more salt in it for taste, but it is super easy and a lot cheaper and healthier than gatorade.

Do you drink this daily? How much? My last blood panel last year, my potassium was on the lower side of normal but I bet it fluctuates.

LiquidDeath

Do you drink this daily? How much? My last blood panel last year, my potassium was on the lower side of normal but I bet it fluctuates.

Not daily. It is my go to when I start keto to ensure I don't get woozy, and it is what I do any time I get a headache that I know it's caffeine related.

Honestly, I would do it every day if I remembered to keep stocked on broth. My wife is not a fan of it, though, so it isn't a priority to ensure we're well stocked. In fact, this all makes me think I'm going to start drinking 8 oz a day again, even when I'm not doing keto. I drink so much water that it is bound to help out regardless.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I was on Keto for a couple of years, lost about 60lbs and got back down to a normal bmi. Too much beer and sitting in front of a computer over the years being a lazy fuck. End of last summer, I started having issues with cramps and twitching in my calves. I tried some Potassium/Magnesium supplements but I wasn't as consistent as I should have been and I wasn't sure if it was working. It actually started to give me some serious anxiety so I got off Keto and tissues with my calves went away.

I've put a few pounds back on so I decided about a month ago to get back on it and to take a a multi and Magnesium/Potassium supplement. I've been a lot more consistent with it and it definitely seems to help but every now and then I experience the symptoms in my calves. I'm wondering if I should up the dosage. The bottle says "Take 2 capsules 1-2 times daily." I have been taking 1 per day since I've heard overdoing it on Potassium and really fuck you up. I do drink a shitload of water and pee all the time so maybe I should up it?

Khane

Well 1 per day is half of the low end of the recommended dosage so... 4 sounds like it would probably still be fine just based on the fact that we live in a litigious country and I doubt they'd recommend a dosage that was even close to a toxic level.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well I'm making myself get back into my good habits. Started losing weight about 5 years ago, started at 330+ got down to 165 at my lowest within the past two years and been just maintaining really, got back up to 174, but down a couple of pounds this week just doing what I did - no eating out and exercising every day. I'd like to get to about 160 but also tone up. Its annoying because I'm between a medium/large in my clothes, all my medium clothes was really starting to get a little too tight so thats what made me pump the brakes.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Anyone else have lower tolerance for sugar after losing weight? Lost 25 lbs / 6 months with the good ‘ol new-job-eat-less-bc -new-job-is-demandin? No specific diet. Just stress, less down time.

Like, fuck, do I need to exercise for real to get insulin resistance down / be able to eat candy like before? I like to read a lot. Not jog. Or lift weights. Fuck.

• 1Solidarity

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Beach vacation planned for summer. Time to get on the wagon and lose 20 lbs. Clean eating with a 750 cal/day deficit works like clockwork for me, but fuck if my life isn't worse off without beer and bread. Sigh.

Anyone else have lower tolerance for sugar after losing weight?

No. I had "Hmm, you need to do something" insulin levels for a while when I was north of 220 lbs, but cleaned up immediately on getting sub-200. Likewise for lipid profile. I still have to watch sugar because I build fat instantly if I eat a lot of simple carbs.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Get near death ill will take the weight off. When it first happened 6 years ago I went from 195 to 175 pretty quickly. I gained most of it back pretty quickly as well. I'm down to just over 160 now pretty quickly again.