Weight Loss Thread

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Get near death ill will take the weight off. When it first happened 6 years ago I went from 195 to 175 pretty quickly. I gained most of it back pretty quickly as well. I'm down to just over 160 now pretty quickly again.
True dat. Now that I am actually using my CGM my urge to eat has plummeted. I get pretty graphs showing me exactly what causes spikes and how long it takes to return to normal. Also getting to the pool 2-3 times a week has helped too.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
CROSS THREAD REPLY TO A MORE RELEVANT THREAD

I hope this is okay Amod Amod

Any suggested books or such for this? I need to lose like 120 pounds
Shawn Baker is probably the most well none and biggest promoter of the diet.

Here is his JRE Episode from a a few years ago. He has a book for sale on Amazon, but I didn't buy it, I may in the future. It is a really simple diet, if it bleeds you can eat it basically.

If you search youtube you will find a bunch of people talking about their time on the diet for anywhere from 7 days to years and years.

We mostly eat Steak(usually Ribeyes), Pork Belly, Bacon, Chicken Wings (thank you Air Fryer), Salmon and Liver once a week. You can have dairy, but for me with the exception of butter and eggs I try to limit dairy (cheese and milk/cream) and treat it like a condiment. I am now drinking my coffee black and not even using Stevia.

For Seasoning I use Kosher Salt, Coarse Pepper and Garlic. I have used Zero Carb Hot Sauces on my Chicken Wings.

Here is one of many charts you will find on line, it isn't rocket science, in fact it is the easiest diet I have ever tried. The left column in this chart, it's just that simple.

1582678013337.png

Lastly, when in doubt about a particular food or seasoning I typically google in Shawn Baker+nameoffood and 9/10 timesI get a hit of him on video talking about it or a tweet of his.

Good luck dude, I love this diet and I am seeing great results. I hope you have similar results.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i coincidentally started the same time as Oblio Oblio bro, i wouldn't say i feel AMAZING, kinda the same really, the horrible super shits have finally died down, i don't know how long it was for oblio but it was just a few days ago for me.

i've said it elsewhere, but my sous vide is pratically 24/7 now, chuck roast requires a good 2 days and with other experimentations (i recently tried char siu with sous vide) my 6qt is actually getting cramped.

i've kinda settled on 6 eggs a 8oz steak and a few cups of yogurt daily.

instead of a steak, sometimes it'll just be a whole roasted chicken (not all of it, i can't eat all of it)

in terms of budget... it's actually weird cuz it's cheaper than my usual keto diet.

Do i crave anything? i've been on a keto for a while anyway, i'm a ny'er and i'm asian so i fucking miss pizza and rice basically, just got a new pizza oven too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I also do burgers with no bun. Costco has these mega frozen packs of 1/4lb angus 80/20 burgers they sell for like $20. So I usually make the kids their doubles and make myself a double with bacon and cheese and just eat it without bun with fork and knife. Ive really grown to love these burger nights.

Ive learned to adjust other shit they eat to my diet, like for exaple taco night they have their tacos and shit and I get a plate of taco meat, melt some cheese on it, then cover it with salad mix, some ranch and taco bell fire sauce and its a good meal, same for the shredded chicken tacos I make. I also got to like the "welness" brand of wraps, they sell some that are only 4 net carbs each. You can easily make a thin crust pizza, buritto, or jsut a wrap with cold cuts and cheese.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
CROSS THREAD REPLY TO A MORE RELEVANT THREAD

I hope this is okay Amod Amod

Shawn Baker is probably the most well none and biggest promoter of the diet.

Here is his JRE Episode from a a few years ago. He has a book for sale on Amazon, but I didn't buy it, I may in the future. It is a really simple diet, if it bleeds you can eat it basically.

If you search youtube you will find a bunch of people talking about their time on the diet for anywhere from 7 days to years and years.

We mostly eat Steak(usually Ribeyes), Pork Belly, Bacon, Chicken Wings (thank you Air Fryer), Salmon and Liver once a week. You can have dairy, but for me with the exception of butter and eggs I try to limit dairy (cheese and milk/cream) and treat it like a condiment. I am now drinking my coffee black and not even using Stevia.

For Seasoning I use Kosher Salt, Coarse Pepper and Garlic. I have used Zero Carb Hot Sauces on my Chicken Wings.

Here is one of many charts you will find on line, it isn't rocket science, in fact it is the easiest diet I have ever tried. The left column in this chart, it's just that simple.

View attachment 251156

Lastly, when in doubt about a particular food or seasoning I typically google in Shawn Baker+nameoffood and 9/10 timesI get a hit of him on video talking about it or a tweet of his.

Good luck dude, I love this diet and I am seeing great results. I hope you have similar results.
Love Keto. First diet i was able to actually stick with and I'm still down the 50lbs I lost last year. At most I'll gain a couple lbs when I cheat for awhile but once i'm up ~6lbs or so its back to the strict diet and it comes right back off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Have their been studies done on long term effects of keto on the body? I can't imagine eating all that red meat, dairy, fat, etc is good for your heart, cholesterol and blood pressure on a long enough time line.

Wife is friend's with another mom in the neighborhood who's husband played WR at UCLA, still extremely in shape and followed keto pretty hardcore. She came home and found him unconscious from a heart attack. This is anecdotal, but made me wonder about broader research that has been done.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Have their been studies done on long term effects of keto on the body? I can't imagine eating all that red meat, dairy, fat, etc is good for your heart, cholesterol and blood pressure on a long enough time line.

Wife is friend's with another mom in the neighborhood who's husband played WR at UCLA, still extremely in shape and followed keto pretty hardcore. She came home and found him unconscious from a heart attack. This is anecdotal, but made me wonder about broader research that has been done.

Did he die? Was there an autopsy?

There have been no long term studies on any diet. Remember the Food Pyramid we learned about as kids? Totally baseless.

Fat doesn't clog your arteries, nor does it make you fat. When FDR had his heart attack everyone scrambled for answers. The answers that came where based on hunches and not data. The ones that said sugar and carbs were the issue were mocked and shunned, turns out they were probably right.

Fat is our bodies preferred energy source. Eating massive amounts of carbs is relatively new for humans. Our evolution was heavily affected by our ability to procure meat via scavenging then eventually hunting and cooking meat. Meat is a Super Food and is a big reason why our brains evolved well past monkeys.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Following up on what Oblio said above, I always try to keep this in mind while picking foods: we know for 100% fact that over-eating on carbs will kill you by giving you a host of metabolic diseases in addition to diabetes and eventually heart failure due to obesity.

There is no evidence that over-eating on fat or protein causes similar issues. There may be deleterious side effects that we haven't found yet, but history suggests this probably isn't the case. Also, there is basically no good science when it comes to food choice (besides the science behind sugar being literal poison) because the data is extremely hard to parse given all the confounding variables.

• 1Solidarity

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There isn't any evidence that "over-eating on carbs" will kill you either. There are plenty of perfectly healthy vegetarians and vegans. Entire cultures of vegetarians in many parts of the world are perfectly healthy.

There is evidence over-eating on processed foods that are high in carbs, especially and almost specifically various forms of sugar, will kill you. And there seems to be indications that eating foods that are both high in fat AND sugar is especially bad because it either blocks brain function that alerts us to feeling full, or just bypasses it directly and makes us not care because of the way it tastes. Causing massive binging behavior.

• 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Anecdotal side note...

A year ago I went Vegan for 30 days. I was always hungry, felt bloated and tired. I also gained weight

I think I am on day 25 of Carnivore. I feel great, my head is clear, I have almost zero cravings, I have lost weight, I am down two belt notches and my joints feel 10 years younger.

If this diet kills me then oh fucking well because I would rather live a shorter time feeling like this than live longer and not feel half as good.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

There isn't any evidence that "over-eating on carbs" will kill you either. There are plenty of perfectly healthy vegetarians and vegans. Entire cultures of vegetarians in many parts of the world are perfectly healthy.

There is evidence over-eating on processed foods that are high in carbs, especially and almost specifically various forms of sugar, will kill you. And there seems to be indications that eating foods that are both high in fat AND sugar is especially bad because it either blocks brain function that alerts us to feeling full, or just bypasses it directly and makes us not care because of the way it tastes. Causing massive binging behavior.

Good call, I was trying to find a general way to treat things that are broken down directly to sugar in your body, but even with my kids we make the difference between healthy and unhealthy foods clear to them by telling them they can eat as much as they want of healthy foods. Those foods inevitably include nearly all fruits and vegetables. Of course, I'd say that it is nearly impossible to over-eat on legitimate fruits and vegetables (at least the ones that aren't almost pure starch).

Seriously though, we knew back in the 50's how to avoid obesity. Follow this slide and you'll be fine:

anti-obesity diet.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

I listen to a lot of low carb and keto lectures (shout out to Low Carb Down Under on YouTube), enough to be fairly certain that genetics play a much larger role in specific diet tolerance than most any dietician or doctor will have you believe. Eskimos with their blubber and Asian cultures with their rice intake will always confound any study trying to set a diet for all of humankind beyond general guidelines.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

extreme athletes are usually the ones that croak not b/c they're on a new "diet" but cuz of something to do with the heart. This is especially true in those annoying biker ppl that have to peddle around for 20miles in order to achieve that "runners high", it's a heart attack not cuz of red meat, cuz of being overworked.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Back at it. Was going steady but took a few months off. First it was illnessz then tiredness, next thing I know it's March.

Probably best to just post progress here but I'll spare you the pics.

Starting weight 233 lb

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Just dropped under 220lb for the first time since I was a teen. I did my diet from 325 to 230 or so then just been non-dieting since, but trying to be healthier overall. It has its ups and down but it obviously a net down and my whole world has changed.

A keto diet, but also very calorie restricted (during the 325 -> 230 phase) but these days i dont count any calories or anything, just avoid carbs when i can and make smart choices (eg: no crutons on salads, etc)

Never felt better. Thank god I have no loose fat or stretch marks. I had to be close to that at 325. When I started my diet I had JUST hit the type 2 diabetes threshold at 6.5 A1c but ever since my diet it's been under 5. Last reading was 4.8.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Down 10 lbs so far (205-195), 25 more to go. Nothing helps a diet like empty grocery stores and being unable to eat out.

• 1Worf

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
My body respones well to keto, or really bad to carbs! For you bread lovers Aldis has a keto bread with 0 net carbs just dont put it in the toaster.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So from January to November 2019 I stopped training entirely. Was in the middle of a muscle gain phase and went from 76kg / 167lbs in January 2019 to 85kg / 187lbs in August. Wasn't meal prepping and was totally miserable at work.

Just through eating less junk food I got down to 169lbs by November. I quit my job which was making me depressed and met someone who was a big motivating factor to get back to the gym. Plus my plan was to take a few months off work until I started looking again.

Started lifting again in December, actually gained weight during December despite eating at a deficit. By mid December I was training twice a day and aimed to eat at maintenance because I was still gaining weight whilst getting leaner - after an 11 month break I was basically a beginner again and muscle memory/noob gains was helping me build muscle/lose fat.

I also started taking 20mg of Ostarine, which is a SARM. This was a 45 day cycle. Was still training twice a day and eating 2500 calories, which at that activity level should have been a small deficit.

By the end of December I'd gained 5lbs, some of which would have been muscle and some water.

At the end of January I had a weekend away that I wanted to be visibly leaner, so gradually reduced calories and lost 5kg.

Since then weight loss has been a lot slower, my diet hasn't been as strict and it's getting harder to keep increasing the deficit. Since I've been training I've never dropped below 71kg, I would like to get to 70g to see how shredded that will.

I'm still off work so will resume training twice a day with significantly higher calories.

And none of this was done via Keto lol.

I have always kept protein at 190g or higher, increased when training twice a day to 220-240g.
Fat at 50g.
Carbs anywhere from 200g to 40g. As my weight has got lower then carbs have been reduced - this is to create a bigger deficit.

foh comp.jpg