Weight Loss Thread

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I've been fasting lately but fuck 21 days. Three days is the most I have done and that sucked. I mostly do the 24 hour intermittent thing. My wife hates it when I tell her I'm having "soup" for dinner - IE: bowl of water with a chicken bouillon cube.

It may be unhealthy, who knows, but it certainly works for losing weight. I spent a month in Germany this summer and drank a shit-ton of beer and ate brats, kraut and brezeln like no tomorrow, put on 12 pounds in a month. Lost it all since I got back and got my weight down below 190 for the first time in almost 30 years. Going in for annual physical next month, we'll see how all the #'s look.

Thanks for the sane reply.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Fasting for more than a day or two is generally a bad idea. That's a great way to start making your body start fucking itself up. Especially glucose levels.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
My cousin had a kind of super rare brain tumor called (histiocytosis). She went from 45kg super fit girl to a 100kg shapeless blob in.. 6 months (she is 23 years old). She did no realized it before this summer because she was under heavy meds and stuff, but now.. Stretch marks everywhere, and now that she it almost treated, she is suffering from depression because she realized there is no turning back. She keeps eating cause it's her last pleasure she can have. It's painful to see her like this.
Is there a way we could bring her to stop this downward spiral ? My mom took her in for 10 days, they walked a lot and she already lost 2kg, but once she went back to her place, it's was candy bar city all over again..

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
It sounds like she needs serious mental help to get her through what she's dealing with. There's nothing you can do to change her. Get her to see a professional.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It sounds like she needs serious mental help to get her through what she's dealing with. There's nothing you can do to change her. Get her to see a professional.

For now she's not willing to see anyone.. but maybe she will have no choice.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Is the tumor treatable?If so, just get to exercising and getting food intake under control. That's it. Hardest fucking thing in the world to do, but once you want it enough you can do it. At 23 she probably hasn't done too much damage to her hips and knees yet, so if she gets the other stuff under control sooner rather than later she will be able to get back to where she was.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
I started in early November, doing keto and not eating after 6pm. Yes i've cheated maybe one or 2 days per month. Started at 224 and now at 204 so its been slow but steady. Its been pretty easy because i've eaten those nutritional shakes for most lunches and dinners (think Ample, Ketochow, etc). I go about 15lbs to go to get to where I want. Anyways, for those of you that got burned out on keto and got tired of cooking and meal prepping, look into those complete meal shakes.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hateyou Hateyou hook a dude up with info on your fasting routine? Links to a program you're following or whatever would be fine.

So on the extreme end I have done juice fasting about once a year or so for the past ten years. There are lots of articles about it, and people arguing about whether it is good or not. I have done as short as five days, and as long as 21 days. I juice fresh fruits and veggies twice a day, and bottled juices like Naked while at work. I also drink black coffee in the morning while doing it, some people say that’s not a pure juice fast but it works for me so idgaf. The first two days are the hardest, after you get over that the hunger pains go away and it’s fuckin easy. After a week or so you start getting food cravings but it’s mental, not hunger pains. Don’t watch commercials, every time you see a big juicy burger you mentally go “wtf am I doing”.

Beyond that I have done Keto and that is really easy as well, I’d like to do it for a couple months every year. The only hard part about it is getting my wife on board (she does the grocery shopping) and my kid obviously can’t do it so it’s a little pita to make 2-3 separate meals a night.

I have been researching Omad and plan to try it maybe this spring. A couple guys at work that have tried a lot of things says this is the best they’ve done so far. They say it’s easy and has had great results. They feel like when juice fasting all the time. If that’s true that may be the way I live from now on, juice fasting feels great after day two.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So on the extreme end I have done juice fasting about once a year or so for the past ten years. There are lots of articles about it, and people arguing about whether it is good or not. I have done as short as five days, and as long as 21 days. I juice fresh fruits and veggies twice a day, and bottled juices like Naked while at work. I also drink black coffee in the morning while doing it, some people say that’s not a pure juice fast but it works for me so idgaf. The first two days are the hardest, after you get over that the hunger pains go away and it’s fuckin easy. After a week or so you start getting food cravings but it’s mental, not hunger pains. Don’t watch commercials, every time you see a big juicy burger you mentally go “wtf am I doing”.

Beyond that I have done Keto and that is really easy as well, I’d like to do it for a couple months every year. The only hard part about it is getting my wife on board (she does the grocery shopping) and my kid obviously can’t do it so it’s a little pita to make 2-3 separate meals a night.

I have been researching Omad and plan to try it maybe this spring. A couple guys at work that have tried a lot of things says this is the best they’ve done so far. They say it’s easy and has had great results. They feel like when juice fasting all the time. If that’s true that may be the way I live from now on, juice fasting feels great after day two.

There's no way I could do the juice fasting stuff or several day long fasting, but I'll look into the OMAD thing while I also look into the 8/16 fasting I'm seeing a lot about.

Mostly I'll need to figure out how to balance my meds around things

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
There's no way I could do the juice fasting stuff or several day long fasting, but I'll look into the OMAD thing while I also look into the 8/16 fasting I'm seeing a lot about.

Mostly I'll need to figure out how to balance my meds around things

Most days I do 20 hour fasts with a 4 hour feeding window. I break my fast at 3pm with a homemade breve latte, then eat a dinner of as much as I want between 5:30pm and 7pm. The meal is mostly low-carb but sometimes not depending on what my wife wants to eat. I think OMAD is for people who like to eat a whole lot at meals, but the principle behind it is basically a very restricted feeding window.

Of all things you can possibly do to lose weight, I specifically tell people to do a restricted feeding window. It is so hard to fit a ton of calories into only 4 or 6 hours that even if you eat terrible shit then you can still see benefit. It takes some practice, though, so be ready to be hungry and make sure to drink a shitload of water during your off hours. Not only is it really good for you but it will keep you full. Also, make sure to slot your feeding window into the times that you really prefer to eat. I skip breakfast because I'm not really hungry in the mornings (but I still drink a cup of black cold brew coffee with a bit of liquid stevia when I wake up). It is also very easy for me to keep myself busy until the evening when my family gets home and starts eating.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It is so hard to fit a ton of calories into only 4 or 6 hours.

I don't really tell people how to lose weight. There are a ton of ways to be successful and really depends on goals and personal preferences. However, the above quote is nonsense. Especially if you are already an overweight binge eater.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I agree with that. I can down an absurd level of calories within a very short period. It takes a ton of food for me to even feel full let alone stuffed.

It has become worse since I started some new meds, and the weight loss progress I was reporting here a little over a year ago has long since been gained back with extra on top of it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I do the intermittent fasting thing. Pretty much only eat once a day, when I get home from work. Not a huge meal but that coupled with keto or more like low carb, because keto was my way down to a good weight, now its more about maintaining. Its been working for me for 3 yrs now. And yeah, I have my cheat days too, fuck im human. But I was at like 275 now down to 215-220 which I consider a comfortable weight.

LiquidDeath

I don't really tell people how to lose weight. There are a ton of ways to be successful and really depends on goals and personal preferences. However, the above quote is nonsense. Especially if you are already an overweight binge eater.

True. I think that even most binge eaters would still have trouble maintaining a huge weight if they somehow managed to maintain a small feeding window, but certainly there will be people that can make a liar out of me.

Honestly, I think the biggest driving factor for a lot of people that are habitually overweight is genetics. One of my best friends for the past 25 years is 5 foot 8 and over 330lbs. He steadily put on weight through HS and college. About 7 years ago he went on keto and dropped down a bit under 200 but then stopped and has put it all back on. We lived together in college and I saw his eating habits....and they were nearly identical to my own at that time. In fact, I probably ate a larger volume of food then he did at actual meals but he probably snacked more. I was a consistent 6 foot 170lbs the whole time and he just kept gaining weight. All of this to say that one unfortunate fact that people hate to point out is that some people that are prone to obesity just have to work harder and be more diligent than those of us who aren't. It sucks and I wish there was something I could do to help my friend and people like him, especially because any advice I give is coming from someone who doesn't have a difficult time managing his weight so it has to be hard for them to take seriously. They don't know that I actually do a lot of research and have done years of (sometimes radical) self experimentation to come to my conclusions, but I can still see it as ringing hollow.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Anyone have experience with a water fast? had a friend do a 21 day fast and he says he does them once a year and drops 20+ lbs (obviously some water weight, but mostly fat). Seems like the kind of extreme shit that I like, I hate "moderation:

I do a 36 hour fast about once a month or so, have been for about 15 years. Basically my last calories are at midnight (12:01am) and then I don't eat until 8AM the following day. I've also done 72 hours a few times too, but not strictly water though, a little coffee, but no sugar except for a small amount of honey in tea if I get low blood sugar which sometimes happens in the first 24 hours.

It's an incredible feeling after a long fast. The hunger sucks, but I always feel great otherwise, minus some energy. Some people get spikes of energy during fasts, but I tend to get the opposite where working out is very difficult so I tend not to. For me the hunger isn't the worst part, fasting ruins my concentration, like I find it really hard to work on anything that isn't on fire. Some people are the opposite though.

I would recommend it to anyone, start by skipping lunch with no snacks until dinner/supper once a week and work your way up from there.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i'm not trying to lose weight but I do a 24 hour fast a few times a month (I don't eat anything but water/tea/coffee from one dinner to the next), and I break my fast with a particularly healthy meal. It really feels go and I feel like it just resets everything in my guts. It's especially nice say after a day or two of unhealthy eating and mayhaps a few too many libations. Never done more than 24 hours though.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If nothing else, I think fasting would help deal with the complications involved with having a reduced colon. Not needing to shit 6 times a day would be great.

What do you guys do for vitamins etc...?

LiquidDeath

If nothing else, I think fasting would help deal with the complications involved with having a reduced colon. Not needing to shit 6 times a day would be great.

What do you guys do for vitamins etc...?

Nothing. Mainly because the most recent and compelling presentations I've seen by people doing actual science and medicine are very skeptical of recommended daily allowances given the way they were originally calculated and that there has been very little additional scrutiny paid to the values and what they actually mean to your health.

For instance the RDA for vitamin C was originally determined to be triple the amount necessary to ensure you didn't develop scurvy. Do you know anyone that has scurvy? Have you seen a rash of people developing scurvy recently given the prevalence of keto and carnivore diets? No one has, and infact it looks like you only need vitamin C to stave off scurvy while eating a high carb diet. If you eat low carb diets you only need a fraction of the vitamin C and it can be obtained relatively easily through other means.

In any case, is there something particular you are worried about or are you just worried about being deficient in general?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Nothing. Mainly because the most recent and compelling presentations I've seen by people doing actual science and medicine are very skeptical of recommended daily allowances given the way they were originally calculated and that there has been very little additional scrutiny paid to the values and what they actually mean to your health.

For instance the RDA for vitamin C was originally determined to be triple the amount necessary to ensure you didn't develop scurvy. Do you know anyone that has scurvy? Have you seen a rash of people developing scurvy recently given the prevalence of keto and carnivore diets? No one has, and infact it looks like you only need vitamin C to stave off scurvy while eating a high carb diet. If you eat low carb diets you only need a fraction of the vitamin C and it can be obtained relatively easily through other means.

In any case, is there something particular you are worried about or are you just worried about being deficient in general?

I've been taking multivitamins on top of Dr prescribed vit d and I noticed drastic improvements in many areas, so I'll keep taking them, I'm just not sure how fasting might affect the timing or intake of them since the body has to process so much all in a short time, and I know that the body can only process a certain amount of some nutrients/vitamins etc... At once and just disposes of the rest.

Also, my entire GI process only takes 6 hours due to the colon stuff, so I likely absorb even less than the average person.