Weight Loss Thread

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
It's probably just water you nerds. Shut up. Cutting carbs and exercising will drop a lot of fluff weight.

P.S. Brown rice is shit, eat white rice.
Brown rice also has considerably more arsenic in it than white rice

"White rice grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas, which account for 76 percent of domestic rice, generally had higher levels of total arsenic and inorganic arsenic in our tests than rice samples from elsewhere.
Within any single brand of rice we tested, the average total and inorganic arsenic levels were always higher for brown rice than for white.
People who ate rice had arsenic levels that were 44 percent greater than those who had not, according to our analysis of federal health data. And certain ethnic groups were more highly affected, including Mexicans, other Hispanics, and a broad category that includes Asians."

Eat white rice
Buy rice that is grown in Cali, I buy Lundberg farms rice and its good
Dont be a minority

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
But I am a minority...

Lmao affected Mexicans, other Hispanics, and Asians. Wow, you needed a study to show DREAMERS and Asians eat rice? You gonna tell me black people eat fried chicken too?!

That's not directed at you Bruuce, just you in general.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
But I am a minority...

Lmao affected Mexicans, other Hispanics, and Asians. Wow, you needed a study to show DREAMERS and Asians eat rice? You gonna tell me black people eat fried chicken too?!

That's not directed at you Bruuce, just you in general.

Caliane

Trying to make a push to get weight down.

Just bought a scale last week or so. usually just go by how fat/gross I feel.
I stress eat. usually hungry all the time.

yearly cycle is, exercise in spring, heavy in summer/fall. keep it up as long as I can in winter. until it gets too cold. usually falling out of it mid jan/feb.
Sinus/allergies has major impact on running as well. really hurts the distance.

could barely do half mile/mile in april.
Doing 10k/day last few weeks. sometimes 15-22m bike rides.
Started aggressive diet a few days ago. 3-4. normal breakfast: egg sandwich(egg, cheese, ham, cinnamon english muffin) and coffee(milk and sugar), diet breakfast: ham and egg, coffee milk and sugar.
lunch. pb&j, to just peanut butter. dinner is usually still dinner. but trying to get smaller portions. A bit less snacking. avoiding the watermelon, etc. cutting out cheese snack. didnt quite appreciate how much calories in a slice of cheddar.

6' tall. I would guess was 210-220lbs in march, judging by feel.
190lbs weigh in on the scale on the 15th.
185lbs this morning.

Still have horrible spare tire.
started timing my runs. A bit surprised how slow they are, in comparison to back in highschool. Used to run cross country. but was never good. always was skinny fat. and was not very dedicated to actually improving well. would do 21-18m 5k's. couldn't do a 10k if I tried.
current average 26m 5k, 54m 10k. Feels weird. running 10k/day, and can't do a sub 20min 5k.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Trying to make a push to get weight down.
It wasn't clear to me whether you were soliciting advice or just sharing your experience. In the case of the former, the best way to manage your weight is to manage how many calories you're eating. I don't know that everyone here would agree with me, but I think how many calories you get from each macro nutrient is also important (but not more important than raw calories in vs. calories out). Thebestway to manage what you eat is to log literally everything. With apps like myfitnesspal (I personally use My Macros Plus) the documentation burden is extremely minimal. A food scale is also very helpful/mandatory for many food items.

There's nothing wrong with running, especially if you enjoy it, but counting on any activity to manage your weight (for non-athletes, at least) never really works out. Running for 30 minutes is like 1 or 2 cookies worth of caloric expenditure. Cardio has the obvious benefit of cardiac health, but as far as weight loss is concerned, you'd be better off just eating less.

Best of luck getting down to your desired weight.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speak American!
Caliane does! He just enters everything using a Nintendo Power Pad on a 2002 Blackberry, as he has done since the FoHguild.org days.
rrr_img_137013.jpg
rrr_img_137014.jpg

Caliane

I blame autism or something. Everything is in list/outline format. in case it was the 5k and 10k, thats 3.2miles, and 6.4k miles.

In general, it was a "this is what I am doing, and where I'm at." Input and feedback is always welcome.

I feel like the exercise vs eat less really depends on the person.
sure, 1 mile is only like 1 slice of bread+topping. Which in theory should be alot easier to just not eat that slice of bread. But, fighting hunger and desire.. good luck.
With fitness and exercise, getting in shape, lets you go longer and harder as well. And, anyone that exercises knows, exercise=endorphins and is almost druglike in its addiction once you get going.

Earlier in the season, the 1-2mile runs were doing very little for weight loss, true. (120-200cal, 10% of a 2000cal diet) but now, the 5-7mile runs are significant. (600-1000+cal, 20%-30% of a 3000cal diet).

I was pretty fatigued yesterday. I'm not sure if I cut food too much, or if it was just the heatwave. I did dl myfitnesspal to log food. but ugh.. so tedious.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
It helped me to think of logging as putting together a recipe. If you're new to baking/cooking you don't just throw shit together and expect good results; you diligently measure everything. Later, when you've been baking for a long time, you can eyeball it and have a pretty good idea of what the measurements are for items you use frequently.

I don't even think about measuring being extra effort anymore. This morning I put my bowl on the food scale, tared it, put 227 g of yogurt in the bowl, tare, 7g of honey, tare, 30g chia seeds, tare. Added a scoop of whey protein powder. Done. The measuring added only a few seconds of extra effort because I did all my prep on the scale. When I logged it in my phone it took less than a minute because My Macros Plus has a frequent food list (organized by meal). Since I eat the same yogurt meal (described above) a few times per week, the items were at the top of the list and I only needed to input how much I ate of each.

If I know I'll be going out to eat that day (team/work lunch, dinner with the wife, etc), I try to avoid carbs/fat for the other meals (since getting too much protein is pretty much never going to be the problem).

Anyway, I just wanted to say that measuring isn't bad at all after a few days of doing it and it becomes part of your routine.

---------------

In other news, I'm down to 219 lbs and ~26% body fat for the first time since 2012 when I went all in on the paleo diet. My lean body mass has stayed consistent at ~161 lbs, though I would expect it to have gone up since my arms, pecs, and quads have gained significant tone and size. Does an increase in muscle size not necessarily mean an increase in weight? Since I'm just spitballing on my measurements, I'm not too worried about it, but I did find it curious.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Muscle does weigh more than fat so if you're gaining muscle mass definitely expect the weight to be different

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
In other news, I'm down to 219 lbs and ~26% body fat for the first time since 2012 when I went all in on the paleo diet. My lean body mass has stayed consistent at ~161 lbs, though I would expect it to have gone up since my arms, pecs, and quads have gained significant tone and size. Does an increase in muscle size not necessarily mean an increase in weight? Since I'm just spitballing on my measurements, I'm not too worried about it, but I did find it curious.
Unless you're on steroid, you wouldn't be gaining more than 1-2 pounds of muscle mass a month. And that's following a very strict workout and diet regimen.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Ah, I didn't realize it was that slow for gains. That explains it then since 1-2 lbs is well within the margin of error of my loose measurements.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Brown rice also has considerably more arsenic in it than white rice

"White rice grown in Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Texas, which account for 76 percent of domestic rice, generally had higher levels of total arsenic and inorganic arsenic in our tests than rice samples from elsewhere.
Within any single brand of rice we tested, the average total and inorganic arsenic levels were always higher for brown rice than for white.
People who ate rice had arsenic levels that were 44 percent greater than those who had not, according to our analysis of federal health data. And certain ethnic groups were more highly affected, including Mexicans, other Hispanics, and a broad category that includes Asians."

Eat white rice
Buy rice that is grown in Cali, I buy Lundberg farms rice and its good
Dont be a minority
My rice preference is short grain rice, commonly referred to as sushi rice, it hold flavors nice, it doesn't mush easily and it actually can take a day or 2 in the fridge. (most white rice if you put it in the fridge for left overs, you get a hard chunch of granite)

Botan is good, you can also find it at Walmart surprisingly
Amazon.com : Botan Calrose Rice, 15-Pound : Dried White Rice : Grocery Gourmet Food
It is grown in Cali if that makes a difference

I've found Nishiki to be just as good
Amazon.com : Nishiki Premium Rice, Medium Grain, 15-Pound Bag : Dried Brown Rice : Grocery Gourmet Food

At a $1 a pound, from Amazon, it's pretty much a steal, you can find the same bags at an asian grocer for 80c a lb

My next fav of race variety would be Basmati, the indian fluffy rice, that Lundberg company does make Basmati, so check them out, i think bought a bag or two from them.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Week one down, lost 15.6 lb, expect future weeks to be much less (water weight, etc). Feels good man! Thankfully I only have to do this thing for about a month to lose everything I want, then change my eating habits so I don't gain it back.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Certainly not losing that much myself. Only lost 1.5 pounds this week but I'm ok with it. Had one day with tacos that I wasn't really planning and overdid it. Otherwise diet is working great.

Fasting blood sugar sitting at 82 this morning.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Nice, Noodle.

Aladain - As you said, much of that dramatic weight loss is from lowering your inflammation and not retaining as much water. Even with a dramatic caloric deficit, I wouldn't expect more than 3-4 lbs per week. Your body has a ceiling for how much stored fat it can convert to usable energy per day. If you're losing more weight than that, it's not just body fat that you're losing.

BigDirty

Security Director of Crisis and Weather Management
<Bronze Donator>
Long road , But il get to where i want to be eventually

Myfitnesspal

cals in < cals out

Lift stuff

Thats it