Westworld

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'd be okay if William is the MiB. It'd make sense to me, and would be a neat twist for those not expecting it.

Good show they have going. And they have 5 seasons planned? That's pretty crazy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
So I binged all 8 episodes last night.
Some series does that very well, I didn't feel this one does.
Too much of the story is repeated again and again and again each week to watch for 8 hours straight.
It is a good series though and I'll continue watching it, just not one of those you can watch straight nonstop.
Compared to say Firefly, Jericho or even the first few seasons of lost, it was for the better part, exhausting.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not everyone watching HBO is an internet super genius at working out plot points, so there is a reason to semi-obvious but slowly build up to William = MiB for the plebs. We're not phoning in Shyamalan for a crazy cliffhanger ending to the season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'll laugh if the MiB is the first awakened host. His backstory is that he's been coming to the park for 30 years.

Impossible. The two tourists that run into the MIB at the camp site, the one guy says "thank you for saving my sister's life." which automatically disqualifies MIB as a host. MIB has a life outside of the park. He owns a major company (probably the one that owns the park, or helped to save the park from bankruptcy) and is a philanthropist. I don't see any way that he's a host at this point, without major plot holes.

Also, I think the MIB=William is awesome writing. I just think that it sucks that the Internet is around now, and there are spoilers and theory crafting all over the place. 20 years ago or so, 90% of the people wouldn't have figured it out until it was revealed in the season finale, and everyone would have been talking about it. Now, if somehow they're making it seem like William is the MIB, and it turns out that he isn't, and there's some awesome out of left field reveal, that would be stupendous.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Impossible. The two tourists that run into the MIB at the camp site, the one guy says "thank you for saving my sister's life." which automatically disqualifies MIB as a host. MIB has a life outside of the park. He owns a major company (probably the one that owns the park, or helped to save the park from bankruptcy) and is a philanthropist. I don't see any way that he's a host at this point, without major plot holes.

Also, I think the MIB=William is awesome writing. I just think that it sucks that the Internet is around now, and there are spoilers and theory crafting all over the place. 20 years ago or so, 90% of the people wouldn't have figured it out until it was revealed in the season finale, and everyone would have been talking about it. Now, if somehow they're making it seem like William is the MIB, and it turns out that he isn't, and there's some awesome out of left field reveal, that would be stupendous.

One can argue that due to the interwebs and constant theorycrafting/autist analysis of every scene these days. You "need" to misdirect the audience in order to have a reveal that most did not expect.

Problem I have with that is that there is a fine line between misdirects that are outright deceptive, shitty writing and ones that are cleverly done and you can look back and see how it was in plain sight all along. If you were looking for it and understood it. So far, I don't see that because once we get into the realm of not being able to discern reality from past events you really have no way to know which one is real or not (like the presumed staff member/host tapping Dolores on the shoulder moments after QA ordered it to be done).

But I will like if the Maeve storyline is redeemed by it all being part of Ford's plan all along. Still don't like the William is MiB one. I just don't see it as being clever.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think the people who post here are honestly a lot smarter than 95% of the population on this planet. Out of all my friends who watch the show, I'm the only one who even thinks that William is the Man in Black. I haven't even told my friends who watch the show that it's a theory, because even with all of the hints that have been dropped in every episode, none of them have even guessed that William=MIB is a possibility, and I don't want to ruin it for them in case it turns out to be true. And my friends are all pretty intelligent and very successful (some are even doctors), but they're mostly all left side brainers, not many right sided.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Here's an example of some serious shit I have a problem with for this to be true.

Teresa and Command Center notice Dolores is off her loop. Cut to William and the Host/Whoever tapping her on the shoulder (in the past) asking her if she should be heading home or whatever. In order for this not to contradict the William is MiB theory you need these assumptions to be true.

1. Teresa and Command Center were referring to present Dolores and whatever she is currently doing (that we either have no idea about or is part of the timeline shenanigans going on).
2. The cut to William in the past was a complete misdirect meant only to deceive you.

There is nothing clever about that interaction. You have no way for the audience to even understand that that is going on.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Here's an example of some serious shit I have a problem with for this to be true.

Teresa and Command Center notice Dolores is off her loop. Cut to William and the Host/Whoever tapping her on the shoulder (in the past) asking her if she should be heading home or whatever. In order for this not to contradict the William is MiB theory you need these assumptions to be true.

1. Teresa and Command Center were referring to present Dolores and whatever she is currently doing (that we either have no idea about or is part of the timeline shenanigans going on).
2. The cut to William in the past was a complete misdirect meant only to deceive you.

There is nothing clever about that interaction. You have no way for the audience to even understand that that is going on.

It's a JJ Abrams show man. It's going to have some serious plotholes.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unfortunately I think that's the only explanation. It was intentionally misleading.

I believe we've been shown 3 Dolores timelines.

1. In the town where she goes on a murderous rampage (killing Arnold?). This may also be the Bernard (Arnold?) interrogation scenes.

2. With William.

3. With MiB. This may actually end up being two separate timelines. One with MiB "awakening" her, and the second with her wandering around retracing her steps (and/or trying to find the maze).

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
1. In the town where she goes on a murderous rampage (killing Arnold?). This may also be the Bernard (Arnold?) interrogation scenes.
That wasn't done by her, we only get a few dust blocking frames but it's someone with a rifle and likely a male profile. All we know is that she puts a pistol to her head afterwards.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So then. This may be a dumb question but if the Dolores narrative we're seeing is William in the past.

And the only time we've seen Dolores in the present if when the MiB came and shortly thereafter. Then WTF is she doing now in the present? WTF is up with the cut meant to mislead you into thinking she ran away from that event to where she "initially" meets William?

Then those events also have to be intentional, deceptive cuts whose only purpose was to deceive you.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think they are. She's wandering. The scene where she's alone on the train, the town...these are her retracing her steps.

• 3Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, as others have stated, the present Dolores is her by herself, retracing her steps and remembering all the stuff that has happened before. That's why when she snaps out of it, she's always by herself and everyone else disappears. The scene on the caboose, the one by the river, the town, etc... Every time she's with Bernard, William, Flood, or the MIB, it must be the past. Now, I think the last time she was with the MIB, that may have been what has reawakened her and caused her to go off her loop and wander the park by herself. I think it's possible that the MIB is the one who places the gun in the straw that she uses to shoot the one host and get away.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>

I believe that MiB is a real person but to say it's impossible I can't go along with. We know 3 things that can make anything possible in the story. One is anyone can be a robot, two memories are real to robots, and three Ford will do anything for a story to come alive. With those three things I think anything can happen. I just think it would be cool if that was the swerve but I give it like a .01% chance of it happening.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just don't understand how Ford could control the robots with his mind unless he was one himself. If he ends up being human, I'd love to hear the explanation on that one.

• 1Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, as others have stated, the present Dolores is her by herself, retracing her steps and remembering all the stuff that has happened before. That's why when she snaps out of it, she's always by herself and everyone else disappears. The scene on the caboose, the one by the river, the town, etc... Every time she's with Bernard, William, Flood, or the MIB, it must be the past. Now, I think the last time she was with the MIB, that may have been what has reawakened her and caused her to go off her loop and wander the park by herself. I think it's possible that the MIB is the one who places the gun in the straw that she uses to shoot the one host and get away.
She stole the gun from the host

• 1Like

Warflagon

Peasant
I just don't understand how Ford could control the robots with his mind unless he was one himself. If he ends up being human, I'd love to hear the explanation on that one.

If robots can be made as real as human, I have to assume that bionics are more than available........

Additionally, the only time we have seen ford suspend all bots near him is when he is dining with teresa. He obviously set her up to sit at a particular table and particular chair. Seems easy that he could have a hot key ready to suspend everyone nearby at a key word or finger point. Just to fuck with her......

So, that's two explanations that come immediately to mind....

Last edited:
  • 1Like