What are you playing?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
nah. Via gamepass. Special edition+anniversary edition, and all dlc.

I've never actauly played oblivion, morrowind, or daggerfall believe it or not. I'm not really sure how I missed them all. I know alot of people insist morrowind is better still.
for daggerfall, yeah, ,theres a few youtube videos for installing it, and running it correctly in modern day, and which patches to use.

What about Arena?

I liked Arena a LOT. It doesn't even look that bad in the modern era, somehow. Had friends try to get me into Oblivion over the years but it wasn't until Skyrim that I got really into the series (watching friends play it). That's when I went back to the beginning. ES Arena was a fantastic time and I liked being able to go all over the world (well, a non-detailed version of it but still). Made me want to play ES games set in every province because all of them were so interesting.

Then Daggerfall was even better in some ways, but brought way down by the glitches and how lost I was a lot of the time. I tabled the series after finishing that one, even though I was stoked for Morrowind. Then seven+ years went by and nada.

I think what slowed down my interest in ES was A) Daggerfall giving me some grief, B) Elder Scrolls VI being completely MIA as the years went by, C) Realizing they probably aren't actually going to give us games for every province, or finish the series as it were, because they're letting ESO do all that.

I wanted an Elsweyr game in particular, maybe combined with Valenwood since the two combined are about the size of Oblivion or Skyrim. Two distinct areas you can go through in either order. Also a Summerset game, and a Black Marsh/southern Morrowind game (since Morrowind only gave us barely half of its titular province).

I guess Hammerfell also needs a game, since Daggerfell only covered part of it and was mostly High Rock. I'll say that Hammerfell is the province I was least interested in seeing a game for (it's basically just Europe, nowhere near as otherworldly as the four southern provinces), but it looks like ES6 is going to be set there. Then maybe another one in ten years if we're lucky.

It's worth noting that the previous games came out on roughly a four year release schedule (1993, 1997, 2002, 2006, 2011) so to have an 11+ year gap between 5 and 6 is kind of "wtf"

/essay off. In short, it was a series that I got into and had high hopes for, only for it to turn out I was catching it on the tail end of a once-bright comet. At least the world maps included in the PC box set are awesome.

Szlia

How does this work? Is it a program that runs alongside the game, or is it Twitch with a regular capture box or what?

Are you playing on OG hardware or SNES Classic or emulator?

Also how does the game know when you've passed one of the milestones on the list? Do you have to remember to hit a button to "advance" it every time you finish an area?

I want to try something like this at some point with Super Metroid, or something else that I'm good at from the era. Maybe LTTP.
I am just using a program called LiveSplit. You can edit the layout, set hotkeys, it also archives the best time for all the segments, the number of attempts, the best time overall and the split times for your best attempt. It also connects to speedrun.com so if you run a game and category that is known, you can compare with the world record (not much point for me at the moment !).

Here I am just running the game in an emulator (Bsnes) playing with a PS4 controller and hitting my keyboard for the splits and not recording/streaming anything.

If I get a more respectable time I might stream some attempts and use my SuperNT (roughly a SNES clone with HDMI output) with the japanese cart I own (99% of the SNES games I own are actually SFC carts and it just so happen it's the preferred version for speedrunning because the princess at the end of the first loop speaks like 30 seconds faster in Japanese). I might also look into autospliting. I am not exactly sure how it works - as if it's an extension to LiveSplit or another program that interfaces with it - but a livesplitter analyses the video stream and, from it, determines when the splits happen. Obviously you need some technical person somewhere who devised and coded what the program should look for in the video for each specific game and category, so it's only available for well known games and/or popular speedruns.

Some speedrunners also use a foot pedal to hit the splits, but I don't think it's the norm. For most games and most setups, it's not a problem to hit a key on your keyboard. Also, the splits are mostly for the runner (and the viewers if it's streamed), so it's ok if it's not super precise. And if in the end you have a run that is worthy to send to speedrun.com for the leaderboard, you use the recording to time it precisely (down to the frame even for some games).

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Interdasting. I'm gonna try running a Super Metroid with that at some point in the near future. I'll do a trial run-through to jog my memory and then an actual speed run to get my area times recorded for future plays. It could be a lot more interesting than my usual "see if my final time is better than my best" because I'll be able to see where I need work.

My Elgato capture box seems to have failed on me so I can't record anything I play anymore (unless it's on PS5 with the system's native recording). So I'm probably gonna start emulating stuff more and recording the PC screen for possible posting at some point.

Just finished Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Super fantastic game, was very close to going for the full platinum trophy just to keep it going. However it looks like the platinum is a bit of a hassle, mostly ten hours of farming mats for tradeskill food recipes and farming enemies for their uncommon shard drops. Tempted to do it but I think I'll just move on. What I did do:

-Best ending
-96% map completion
-58% trophies
-Defeated all optional bosses (except one that unlocks at 99% map completion)

I'm blown away by it to say the least. Not sure what I'm playing next. Thinking the Ori games since I'm on a bit of a Metroidvania kick suddenly.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Started Ori and the Blind Forest. Man, the beginning of this game made me sad as hell. I kinda figured the game was gonna be something like this. It made me feel things.

Looking at this game's 2D-HD kind of high contrast glowy look made me realize that, for the first time ever, I'm not opposed to a Super Metroid remaster. I wouldn't want a Samus Returns style overhaul of the game, but if it's pretty much a 1:1 port with a wider screen and 2D-HD / lighting effects, I think it could be a great remake. Nintendo wants to remake Metroid Fusion so they may as well give Super Metroid a makeover first.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Brotato update released yesterday, added 2 new classes, some items, elite enemies, and some rebalancing changes. I've beat D5 with every class except speedy which is the +melee with speed but -100 armor. If I built around max speed I had plenty of DPS, the problem is you go so fast you run into the enemies before you can swing at them. Trying to build around defenses you just can't keep up with spawns and get overwhelmed. Then I combined him with a weapon I thought was shitty, the shuriken. It's got crappy damage/crit scaling, but the amount of damage you get from staking speed more than makes up for it. This lets you focus on econ/crit. Get the Trophy (crit kills = money) and piggy bank and you'll have as much money as farmer/entrepreneur. I ended up making the strongest build I ever made and melted both bosses in 20 seconds.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Brotato update released yesterday, added 2 new classes, some items, elite enemies, and some rebalancing changes. I've beat D5 with every class except speedy which is the +melee with speed but -100 armor. If I built around max speed I had plenty of DPS, the problem is you go so fast you run into the enemies before you can swing at them. Trying to build around defenses you just can't keep up with spawns and get overwhelmed. Then I combined him with a weapon I thought was shitty, the shuriken. It's got crappy damage/crit scaling, but the amount of damage you get from staking speed more than makes up for it. This lets you focus on econ/crit. Get the Trophy (crit kills = money) and piggy bank and you'll have as much money as farmer/entrepreneur. I ended up making the strongest build I ever made and melted both bosses in 20 seconds.
how the fuck did you win with soldier on D5? it's such a terrible class. also its funny that you thought shuriken were shitty, they were so strong that they got nerfed and the nerf was just partially scaled back this patch.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
how the fuck did you win with soldier on D5? it's such a terrible class. also its funny that you thought shuriken were shitty, they were so strong that they got nerfed and the nerf was just partially scaled back this patch.

Soldier is cake walk until you get to the last stage, but struggles with the bosses since they'll sit on you and melt you if you try to park and kill. Most people probably think its okay to stack negative speed on him but for the bosses you actually do the opposite, get about +10-20% speed, and then stutter step to shoot your weapons, so pick a slow hard hitting weapon. I think I won my soldier d5 with 2 nuke launchers, 2 obliterators, and some smg/miniguns.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I *slightly* outdid that previous Genesia run that the Silph Blade screenshot came from.

silphwut.png

joz123

Potato del Grande
Playing DQ11 Definitive on PS5. Forgot how long the game is but still fun.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished Bloodstained and very close to the platinum (the ludicrous "collect all items" is the only remaining trophy and I have around 90% of items).

Next I'm gonna finish Last of Us 2 (left off about 60% through it), then either Ori 1+2 or Bayonetta 3. Also doing about one session a week of WoW Shadowlands/Dragonflight for the next two months.

Also interested in Blasphemous and Timespinner since Bloodstained has put me back on a Metroidvania kick. Blasphemous in particular looks incredible, like a game I've wanted for 25 years and didn't realize I wanted.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I hope my great grandkids enjoy High Rock as much as I enjoyed Skyrim.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I hope my great grandkids enjoy High Rock as much as I enjoyed Skyrim.

I think High Rock is done, Daggerfall did it. However Daggerfall also did part of Hammerfell and that's getting a full version in ES6...

High Rock is a pretty small area though so I don't really see it getting a modern release unless they're gonna throw it into ES6 as the DLC or something like that. Hammerfell is HUGE so ES6 is already going to be substantially larger than Skyrim in surface area.

Ideally I'd love to see:

ES6: Hammerfell, maybe High Rock DLC?
ES7: Valenwood and Elsweyr (both are on the smaller side, about the size of Hammerfell combined)
ES8: Summerset Isles
ES9: Black Marsh, Southern Morrowind as DLC
ES10: Akavir (scaled* down to one big province, cause I don't want 8 more games)

* - (No pun intended, as it contains lizzid peeple)

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So I finally ran out of things to try at 140 hours playing super auto pets. So on this one:
Really getting into the brawl mode, 3 rounds against bots to build up your army then 1 round of pvp, 10 wins to win, 3 loses to start over. It is one of those games I picked up around launch and it didn't click but definitely in a good place right now.
Max upgrades ASAP then go for shooters or mages with 3 tanks to absorb the initial fight. Lean into +mana+hp+armor on the mutagens. Cultists can work as well but they all or nothing and require some luck to get rolling, fighters are next best as they can become ranged attackers. I have found you either go well rounded early or all in on one faction to get those 10 wins. If you stack shooters and get the mutagen where they summon bots you usually.

Only thing shooters will loose against is better shooters or throwers that throw players with splash damage on, round is over almost instantly. Just put the throwers next to your highest damage dealers, they do their damage on landing and then start attacking. It destroys back lines.
If you aren't getting any good synergies just start stacking HP and armor while picking the highest tier fights of any faction, this is why maxing out upgrades early is important. One legendary will win against 3-4 commons.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started Ori and the Blind Forest. Man, the beginning of this game made me sad as hell. I kinda figured the game was gonna be something like this. It made me feel things.

Looking at this game's 2D-HD kind of high contrast glowy look made me realize that, for the first time ever, I'm not opposed to a Super Metroid remaster. I wouldn't want a Samus Returns style overhaul of the game, but if it's pretty much a 1:1 port with a wider screen and 2D-HD / lighting effects, I think it could be a great remake. Nintendo wants to remake Metroid Fusion so they may as well give Super Metroid a makeover first.
I just finished both Ori games. I enjoyed the first one for its simplicity. The 2nd one added a lot of powers and shit and I didn’t care for them because I just wanted to beat it and not be a completionist. But good games! What are some other good Switch platformers?

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Horribly late to the party, but finally getting around to playing Devil May Cry 5. Good ass game, although that hardly needs saying.

• 1Worf