What do you do?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I can't remember if I'm supposed to try to fix your problems or just say "that sucks".

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not looking for a new job for a long while, but a question popped into my head, and I'm curious of the response.

How does someone put into their resume that they did way more than the job title would imply, without coming off as a show off? As it applies to me, I'm a network tech. I load up Cisco IOS configs onto devices. So many times that shit is wrong, and it's our job to make it right, not the fucking designer who gets paid triple what I do. Makes total sense, right? Well, much of the troubleshooting and fixing I feel is CCNP level shit, but I don't have a CCNP. It's great experience, but would a simple bullet point about trouble shooting, with examples ready, if asked be sufficient?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You just talk about your experience and what you've done without making any mention of your superficial title.

Vinen

God is dead
As I no longer have my beloved with whom to share my work frustrations, I am putting this here:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!

thank you.
I see you post and I am reminded that my problems are meaningless
frown.png

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I can fix it so "that sucks"is perfect as is the agggh chorus, Charlie Brown reference and empathy.....again, I know why G liked it "here" so much.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I can fix it so "that sucks"is perfect as is the agggh chorus, Charlie Brown reference and empathy.....again, I know why G liked it "here" so much.
Care to elaborate? We can give you a whole string of semi-serious slapsticky advice, some of which is designed to help, some of which is designed to make you smile, some of which might come from tanoomba. You should ignore at least one of these.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Not looking for a new job for a long while, but a question popped into my head, and I'm curious of the response.

How does someone put into their resume that they did way more than the job title would imply, without coming off as a show off? As it applies to me, I'm a network tech. I load up Cisco IOS configs onto devices. So many times that shit is wrong, and it's our job to make it right, not the fucking designer who gets paid triple what I do. Makes total sense, right? Well, much of the troubleshooting and fixing I feel is CCNP level shit, but I don't have a CCNP. It's great experience, but would a simple bullet point about trouble shooting, with examples ready, if asked be sufficient?
This is more common than you think. Simply cite accomplishments or projects that demonstrate that both your skills and work went beyond what your title would imply.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
How does someone put into their resume that they did way more than the job title would imply, without coming off as a show off?
Money. Dollar signs. Explain what you did and how much money you saved the company because you were there to "make it work right". Quantify it. Don't ever, in my opinion at least, be afraid to show off on a resume as long as you can back it up.

If you have a resume from a Janitor who says he cleans toilets with perfection, and another resume from a Janitor who says he saved a company 50k a year by recommending better products resulting in less waste and less purchases needed but didn't say a word about how well he cleaned toilets, which one would you hire? The choice is obvious.

(maybe not the best analogy, but you get my point)

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Most of my "What rustles your jimmies" have been about work and after I derailed the thread having people on me for how I need to leave my job, and ironically I braking my hand (well a resident broke my hand) the next day at work, I've been applying even more than before.
Out of the blue I got approached for a sweet opportunity: Reporter!
Having them come to me should be a good sign. I look forward to their response.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

As someone who has gotten lots of resumes in the past and done hiring, just list what duties you performed and such. Lot oif variation in titles from company to company. Also I have a hunch that a fair number of companies give out titles instead of a raise so they accumulate titles without actually doing anything different than they did with the last title. The company I worked out at for 5 years before my last nobody had a title outside of the owner. Everyone got a business card with nothing more than the company and your name. On our website it listed what department you were in "kind of". Either management, engineering, or sales. That was it, and that went for the boss who was lsited under engineering and his son who was just listed under sales.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As someone who has gotten lots of resumes in the past and done hiring, just list what duties you performed and such. Lot oif variation in titles from company to company. Also I have a hunch that a fair number of companies give out titles instead of a raise so they accumulate titles without actually doing anything different than they did with the last title. The company I worked out at for 5 years before my last nobody had a title outside of the owner. Everyone got a business card with nothing more than the company and your name. On our website it listed what department you were in "kind of". Either management, engineering, or sales. That was it, and that went for the boss who was lsited under engineering and his son who was just listed under sales.
Oh yeah, titles are a crap shoot. Never know what they mean. For me... network tech, network admin, network engineer... who the hell knows which sounds better these days. Leaning towards slapping the engineer title on my LinkedIn just for shits and giggles!

Might be some changes on my end coming sooner than I thought as contracts finally got worked out. I'm just a grunt network tech so I know very little, but we've been told changes could be coming!

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I do get a little salty when people slap the engineer title on. I'm a douche though
"
You need to stay salty about it or before long you'll have the situation we have in the UK where everyone is an engineer. One recent example was a job up for dishwashers in a restaurant..."hygeine engineer".

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In our industry if they use the term engineer they better have a stamp and the ability to use it. Otherwise they just say you work in the engineering department which is pretty common, which is actually what you do.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
In our industry if they use the term engineer they better have a stamp and the ability to use it. Otherwise they just say you work in the engineering department which is pretty common, which is actually what you do.
IT isn't really like that, much to Noodlebro's chagrin. Crone has his CCNA, he's a network engineer. Pretty much if you build systems, you're an engineer. In security they refer to people who analyze log data and shit as engineers.