What do you do?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
No joke, there is an office stash. This place is trying very, very hard to live up to some ideal of what a private funded startup type shop should be.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
so you make money by bringing talent in? That seems like a tough road but one that could have a nice sudden payoff if you happened across a real winner
I thought she was making cuck movies for cash. Huh.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Where do you work? Self-owned boutique consulting firm

What do you do? Owner/partner/project manager/sales/development/implementation/janitor

What field/industry? Process industries (paper, lumber, petrochemicals, steel)

Wages? $50k - $350k depending on if it's a good year or not. Median $100k-$150k.

Bonuses/SEP? Hah.

Benefits? Work from home. Totally flexible hours (that often flex over my sleep). Random vacation/downtime of 1 week to 1 month between projects.

How long have you been there? 10 years

kudos

<Banned>
Where do you work? Government / Contractor

What do you do? Cyber Security

What field/industry? Intelligence

Benefits? Networking. I meet some cool people and have lots of movement if I want to change companies. Resume is constantly updated with new shit.

How long have you been there?
2 years

Vinen

God is dead
Where do you work? Large Software company based in Sillicon Valley
What do you do? (Title/keywords) Hybrid Cloud Architect / Final-tier support
What field/industry? Data Center Virtualization
Wages? Enough. high-low six figures
Bonuses/SEP? Enough. I include it in Wages.
Benefits? All the typical + 4 months paternity leave
How long have you been there? 4 years

Last edited:

kudos

<Banned>
$250k-$300k is the upper range of low six figures. I'm assuming low six figures is $100k-$300k.

Fucking Silicon Valley and their bullshit salaries.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
$250k-$300k is the upper range of low six figures. I'm assuming low six figures is $100k-$300k.

Fucking Silicon Valley and their bullshit salaries.

Yeah but Silicon Valley is kind of a shithole. No one wants to work down there and not have The City at their fingertips. And it's more expensive to live there than San Francisco! I really don't get it. Fuck the 101. Fuck Shoreline. Fuck that place.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah but Silicon Valley is kind of a shithole. No one wants to work down there and not have The City at their fingertips. And it's more expensive to live there than San Francisco! I really don't get it. Fuck the 101. Fuck Shoreline. Fuck that place.

No kidding. I dont mind visiting but I would not live there and not be in SF. 101 is a mess and the 280 is 50/50 depending on if their was an accident.

Glad to leech a SV salary and not be in SV though.

kudos

<Banned>
The amusing thing with Silicon Valley is that 90% of those jobs I'd assume could be done from anywhere in the world. Why the fuck would you

1. Require your workers come into work
and
2. Want to live in an area with such retarded cost of living?

Vinen

God is dead
The amusing thing with Silicon Valley is that 90% of those jobs I'd assume could be done from anywhere in the world. Why the fuck would you

1. Require your workers come into work
and
2. Want to live in an area with such retarded cost of living?

Most people are not effective remote workers. Belive it or not having people in person is a massive plus on average.

SV just happens to be where talent converges. Its the same reason Boston has a tech scene (albeit smaller).

Good CS Schools. (SV had the vulture capitalists)

kudos

<Banned>
Most people are not effective remote workers. Belive it or not having people in person is a massive plus on average.
I know a lot of management likes to have workers at desks because they can task them with bullshit that isn't really their job. It's basically free labor a lot of the time.

Vinen

God is dead
I know a lot of management likes to have workers at desks because they can task them with bullshit that isn't really their job. It's basically free labor a lot of the time.

It is? News to me.
This is the kind of thought that leads to people not getting raises or promotions.

I'd have gone nowhere if I thought like this. The term "not-my-job" is a fire-able offense in my book.

Sometimes you will be forced to leave your comfort area. IE: A Developer being forced into a customer support situation due to an escalation.

kudos

<Banned>
It is? News to me.
This is the kind of thought that leads to people not getting raises or promotions.

I'd have gone nowhere if I thought like this.

Sometimes you will be forced to leave your comfort area. IE: A Developer being forced into a customer support situation due to an escalation.
I've gotten 2 raises in the past year. One was a promotion. Do you know how? I did better work at my JOB than was required or expected. It wasn't answering phones, making the coffee, or imaging computers.

Vinen

God is dead
I've gotten 2 raises in the past year. One was a promotion. Do you know how? I did better work at my JOB than was required or expected. It wasn't answering phones, making the coffee, or imaging computers.

I'm more referring to tasks slightly to the left or right.

I agree with the last part. That's different. That's a complete failure of their manager. I see what you are saying now.

It's shit like Developers who think they shouldn't be responsible for writing automation to test their code that grinds my gears.

Last edited:

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Where do you work? IHOP

What do you do? (Title/keywords) Waitress

What field/industry? Food service

Wages? 18k/year (give or take)

Bonuses/SEP? Nope

Benefits? None

How long have you been there? 12 years in November
middle class establishment nets you anywhere between $30-50k.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse

Where do you work? - Kaiser Permanente

What do you do? (Title/keywords) - Registered Nurse

What field/industry? - Healthcare

Wages? - High six figures

Bonuses/SEP? - No

Benefits? - No (benefits through husband)

How long have you been there? - A while