What do you do?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
my employer be like said:
Hey guys, didn't meet targets this year. But upper management isn't going to take bonuses so you guys can have some(more? idk, wasn't at that meeting).

Hey guys, we didn't get raises or bonuses out in time for this pay period, but it will be retroactive.

Hey guys, we missed the pay period again. Don't worry, still retroactive.

I know YTY raises and bonuses typically don't amount to much. But the sloppiness of execution has me worried. Maybe someone with some finance/management background can reassure me. Is there paperwork hell with deciding who gets paid what? Because, at this point, I'm expecting new new date to come and we end up being sold to someone instead.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Had my interview today for a job in the Valley. Last time I finished up thinking I had blown it. This time went much better. The interviewer was stronger, for one thing. Established a good rapport very quickly, and I let him talk as much as possible. If I don't get a second round, I at least feel like I put my best foot forward and left a positive impression.

And now for a beer. Nerves are kinda shot. It's weird, because I don't even need this job. The offer might not come back worth moving. I just want to know that if I want one, I can land a Valley job.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
bros, I have had a talk with my boss and I am going to take the plunge.

Finish my degree, get back into tech related field after a year, and meanwhile, focus learning other software related field meanwhile. Work 19/7.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
WOOT. Got a plane ticket waiting to head out and do an in person interview. :D

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I still am, but I'm an approval junkie. I want to know this isn't beyond my ability. I also think it might open doors beyond what I can find in ed-tech.

If we're ever going to move out west, it needs to be before kids are a part of the equation. It's the only way that makes it affordable.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know YTY raises and bonuses typically don't amount to much. But the sloppiness of execution has me worried. Maybe someone with some finance/management background can reassure me. Is there paperwork hell with deciding who gets paid what? Because, at this point, I'm expecting new new date to come and we end up being sold to someone instead.
What you quoted is what I saw in my company..

"Guys, profits are down quite a bit.. we're not handing out bonuses just yet because this is the time of year we usually lose people" ???? Apparently they were holding the bonuses over people to keep them employed. Sounded weird how they worded it.

Just more recently "Don't worry, bonuses are still being considered" - this one made me laugh.. went from a sure thing to 'considered'

To me, that's a 'writing on the wall' type of situation.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah. Layoffs are coming. If they're playing fast and loose with bonuses, then something is happening financially behind the scenes that the execs aren't talking about yet.

Don't mean to be a doomsayer, but it's a huge warning sign that you should brace for impact. Check your stock price if you're publicly traded and see what people are saying.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also our CEO kept saying how he wasn't taking a bonus!!! wow!!

HIS SALARY IS $7.6M A YEAR

Wow. Such humble.

• 1Solidarity

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Also our CEO kept saying how he wasn't taking a bonus!!! wow!!

HIS SALARY IS $7.6M A YEAR

Wow. Such humble.

I mean his bonus might have been 50M. So that is a sacrifice, lol

And yes of course bonuses are never a sure thing and anytime a company says they are a sure thing, tell them to roll it into your salary and when they won't do that you know it's not a sure thing. But they want to sell you on the job as if your salary is salary + bonus. It isn't. Bonuses always come out late, are never as good as you thought, but "next year we'll make it up" or some such.

The lawyer bonuses are pretty nice but they vary year to year and they are like a monthly draw check for the partners, so they don't give a fuck. It's just meant to game the associate lateral hire market.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Plenty of companies use deferred bonuses for retention. Golden handcuffs and all that. Some are even set up through life insurance policies and only pay out every 3 or 5 years if the employee sticks around. However if they're changing how that's structured without being up front about it, then that's not cool.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Actually I take back what I said.. I guess he's one of those dudes that has a $1 salary and the rest is bonus.

He still owns $220M stock in the company.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah. Layoffs are coming. If they're playing fast and loose with bonuses, then something is happening financially behind the scenes that the execs aren't talking about yet.

Don't mean to be a doomsayer, but it's a huge warning sign that you should brace for impact. Check your stock price if you're publicly traded and see what people are saying.
Not saying you're wrong, it's definitely what I'm expecting, just doesn't make any sense. We're still interviewing people...

My middle-of-the-road guess is that there's a pool of money and it's too small to give everyone that "deserves" it enough. Deserves, as in enough to not piss them off and motivate them into leaving. I had a good review the previous year and I got an outstanding review this year. If the raise and bonus are less than the previous year, I'm definitely considering looking for a new job, I don't care about the financial BS.

Still, though, wouldn't be surprised some people are told to gtfo. Can't check stock prices, not publicly traded. Which is why I'm also considering the buyout story.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Companies rarely stop hiring during downturns. By the time a restructure takes place, the execs have probably spent 6 months or a year with a consultant reviewing what and where to cut. They can't just stop business during that time, and part of that means continuing to hire.

I took my current job a year ago. Within a month, I was hearing rumblings of a reorganization because we had missed significant third quarter earnings goals. By January layoffs were happening. I was shocked when, as a new hire, I didn't get swept up in them.

Fwiw, we didn't pay bonuses last year at all. No one in the company got one, and it royally pissed off the sales force who have as much as third of their annual income tied up in bonuses. I wasn't eligible last year because of my hire date, but this year I'm supposed to get 10%. We'll see if it actually happens.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Companies rarely stop hiring during downturns. By the time a restructure takes place, the execs have probably spent 6 months or a year with a consultant reviewing what and where to cut. They can't just stop business during that time, and part of that means continuing to hire.

I took my current job a year ago. Within a month, I was hearing rumblings of a reorganization because we had missed significant third quarter earnings goals. By January layoffs were happening. I was shocked when, as a new hire, I didn't get swept up in them.

Fwiw, we didn't pay bonuses last year at all. No one in the company got one, and it royally pissed off the sales force who have as much as third of their annual income tied up in bonuses. I wasn't eligible last year because of my hire date, but this year I'm supposed to get 10%. We'll see if it actually happens.

From my experience new hires are fairly safe when layoff sweeps happen. The idea is that you do the same job for less money than someone more tenured than you.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I've posted about the re-organization that's happening at my company for the group that handles their Enterprise network. Currently the network techs, including myself, are contracted 3 levels down. Company A contracts company B for all of their IT work, then company B contracts with staffing agencies to get network techs.

Well, Company A and B re-negotiated, and part of that was consolidating to 1 staffing agency.

Was supposed to know on the 1st the fate, and whether I still had a job, or whether I had 30 days to find something different. The new staffing agency officially takes over the end of this month. Well, no one has heard anything, but a co-worker emailed someone to try and find a status, and heard they are raping the entire department that I work in, and cutting down to 2 techs each shift. We have 24/7 coverage, so that's 12 techs down to 6. They think they can handle the whole thing with 2 techs per shift instead of 4.... it's all gonna come crashing down. Also heard a little about who was being kept and wasn't, and I haven't heard anything about me, but the few that they are keeping look good on paper, but are absolutely terrible.

Unemployment line here I come probably. I don't look so great on paper, as I haven't finished my BS yet, and just have a CCNA cert. Guess just wait and see. One of the best techs we have hard un-officially he wasn't selected to be "retained". Sigh...