What do you do?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Heh, me too. Haven't even discussed a salary at this point. I'm just trusting it'll be competitive.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Well, I've had a lowball offer, and a couple more interviews.

My boss here keeps telling me, in an almost begging way, to stick it out with him for just a little while longer and that he has a plan.

I'm kinda like /shrug. If his plan comes to fruition first, we're solid bruh. But if I find something before that? I gotta look out for me, man.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I always love that. "Do you have have time for a call?". I'm at fucking work, you want me to talk to you about another job whilst on location for my current one? Fuck off, call me tonight.

I just walk around campus or go to my car

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I just walk around campus or go to my car

I usually go to my car. I wouldn't walk around campus(if my employer was big enough to have one), too open for someone to overhear. Either way, both are too noisy and not ideal for taking notes or concentrating.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I usually go to my car. I wouldn't walk around campus(if my employer was big enough to have one), too open for someone to overhear. Either way, both are too noisy and not ideal for taking notes or concentrating.

Perks of working at home. I just mute my microphone.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nice! Hope the offer makes moving to CA worth it.

When I moved to San Francisco from Cincinnati the offer was quite generous. They offered me $10k more than I asked for. If they're willing to fly you in and have you relocated, they're going to be serious about you and make it worth your while.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I disagree, flying people out and paying for relocation is a pretty standard perk. In the overall budget of hiring someone, those costs are nothing. And as I said before, the people inherently justifying those costs rarely have to deal with the financial aspect of that decision.

Tenks

I've only been at my new job about a month now but already I've seen them not give a flying fuck if someone flew in to give them the thumbs down. It doesn't even enter the conversation. Relo, however, is based on the position. Not every position in the company is eligible for relocation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Every phone call at my new job begins with the other person saying "is anyone around that could listen in?"

Shit is fucking serious time

Tenks

I'm actually finding it a bit unfun to have so much information I can't share with my wife. We never were very big on talking about work but now the basic extent of our conversation is "How did your day go?" / "Oh good. I did programming."

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I love it. I tell my wife plots crom bond movies to piss her off when she asks me how work is. Sadly its all really boring.

And lol Noodleface Noodleface . Shit you ain't on JWICS or a secret + VTC.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Well. Its looking like one of my interviews may pan out. Im supposed to meet them Sat for a chat as the interviewer called it.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I've had a lowball offer, and a couple more interviews.

My boss here keeps telling me, in an almost begging way, to stick it out with him for just a little while longer and that he has a plan.

I'm kinda like /shrug. If his plan comes to fruition first, we're solid bruh. But if I find something before that? I gotta look out for me, man.

Your boss is negotiating with upper management to get everyone a raise. I bet my balls on it.

So it was good news! Just not an offer yet.

I did very well and got a unanimous recommendation to hire from all of my interviewers. They have one more candidate scheduled to fly out next week, so in fairness to them they're completing the process before making an offer. If that decision isn't unanimous, the job will go to me. If it is, they'll have to make a decision between us both.

So! All very exciting, just not quite to the end of the process yet.

maybe they are telling you that you are not hired. If they told you, "sorry no hire," you might get salty. Since they told you, "hope is there...just hang on for one more interview we have" at least you are left hanging and you have less salt in your mouth when you find out they didn't hire you.

I have seen and done many interviews in car sales and they all left the interviewee "hanging." I dunno if it is just my industry, but out of almost 10 interviews I had, only one said, "no." One job had me come in two or three times and left me "hanging." Another job just told me, "this week...give me some time." Although, those that did hire me, just hired me right on the spot.. (three times).

Another funny aspect of interviewer side. If they don't hire you fast enough, they risk losing you as well. My boss waited two weeks to hire a front receptionist. Found out she had already gotten a job elsewhere with better pay and better hours. This went for about two month and then he said fuck it...Hired some single mom out of nowhere...

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Your boss is negotiating with upper management to get everyone a raise. I bet my balls on it.

His team is just me and one other guy right now. That may very well be the case.

It wouldn't exactly unwelcome to the other guy, either....I mean, you can see he makes himself a good living, but who'd turn down more money for the same job?

That said, there's a lot of cogs moving right now, the job description is going to get a lot more complicated very soon...

Last edited:

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm for sure at this point losing my job at the end of the month. Some of the other techs have put in good words for me to the people making the offers with the new staffing agency but I'm not holding out any hope.

I've gotten a couple job leads, but neither are in the Seattle area. One is back down in Portland where I just moved from in February of this year, and another in the Tri-Cities WA area. That one is for Network Admin/tech/engineer (unsure the title), for Amazon AWS data center. That'd be pretty neat I think? I'm not optimistic I could get past an Amazon interview though as I've heard they are just grueling.

Onwards and upwards, both are for 100% and 50% more pay, so that's very neat, and glad that my experience seems to be "paying off".

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Figured I'd put this one in a new reply:

This week has seen my department go from "support customer servers/routers/etc as they relate specifically to our product, and other internal IT tasks" to a much broader spectrum. A couple of ideas we've thrown out as a "haha that'd be cool" have gone into a by year's end we're supposed to have a up and running beta program.

I guess someone pitched 'em to some customers, and a couple big ones are chomping at the bit to get them with us. We've also been greenlighted to begin offering MSP-style services.

Like, last week? Nothing seemed on the horizon. I come back from my trip to Austin yesterday afternoon? "Hey, [Dubya], this this and this are happening. We need this done by this time.".

Literally an hour after the post about my boss tellin me he has plans I was sprung with this.

I suppose these are the plans he's had. I'm still standing by to see where it takes my pay--It just got a lot easier to justify an increase, as I came up with a lot of the conceptual processes for these things, and I'm tasked with leading proof of concept/early implementation.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I'm actually finding it a bit unfun to have so much information I can't share with my wife. We never were very big on talking about work but now the basic extent of our conversation is "How did your day go?" / "Oh good. I did programming."

Would your wife even care about your work's info? I could give my wife secret privileged case info all day and she would just be like "uh huh, thats interesting dear" (immediately forgets everything I just said). We don't really talk about work much except in general terms.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My wife tells me work shit 100 mph and even tries to explain it to me and it is not a happy thing for me.