What do you do?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Would your wife even care about your work's info? I could give my wife secret privileged case info all day and she would just be like "uh huh, thats interesting dear" (immediately forgets everything I just said). We don't really talk about work much except in general terms.

She asks and tries to coax it out of me. I can't tell her because her brother users our products and I know for a certainty she'd lord it over him for like 5 seconds then cave.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
She asks and tries to coax it out of me. I can't tell her because her brother users our products and I know for a certainty she'd lord it over him for like 5 seconds then cave.

Just make up a story to tell her. Haha. I'd have fun with that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My wife tells me work shit 100 mph and even tries to explain it to me and it is not a happy thing for me.
Mine did the same thing. She no longer works thank fucking God.

I hate when my wife asks about work. I always answer "I programmed all day" and she gets pissy.

What do you want me to say?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
She wants you to tell her that fuck face in the next cubicle ruined your day. Maybe you guys are better at shrugging shit off than I am, but I find it therapeutic to discuss some of the trivial stuff that goes on at work. Doesn't take long, helps you get shit off your mind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Mine did the same thing. She no longer works thank fucking God.

I hate when my wife asks about work. I always answer "I programmed all day" and she gets pissy.

What do you want me to say?

I always talked as technically as I possibly could to my wife to see how long she would keep asking what I did. She stopped asking what I did after about 3 days and has just asked how my day was ever since.

I tried to get really over the top like this guy:

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
She wants you to tell her that fuck face in the next cubicle ruined your day. Maybe you guys are better at shrugging shit off than I am, but I find it therapeutic to discuss some of the trivial stuff that goes on at work. Doesn't take long, helps you get shit off your mind.
I know that's what she wants because that's how she would talk about work.

The guy at work eating chips from 8am to 3pm nonstop bothers me but I forget about him when I leave. He's doing it now BTW

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The only minor annoyance I have is a guy looks like Mac from IASIP and he is also constantly talking about being a power lifter. I'm talking about fat Mac btw.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well every previous place I've had a solo cube. Here I have a double sized cube with a 65 year old dude that eats chips drinks mtn dew as soon as he comes in

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I always talked as technically as I possibly could to my wife to see how long she would keep asking what I did.

I talk as technically as possible to my wife about work. Of course she's not going to understand what a null pointer dereference is, but if she wants to know, I'll be happy to explain it. If she wants to know how my day went, explaining why it was frustrating to feel like I spent too much time cleaning up someone else's shit code, she can deal with the details. And she does, seems I take that for granted based on some of the other replies in this thread.

I know that's what she wants because that's how she would talk about work.

The guy at work eating chips from 8am to 3pm nonstop bothers me but I forget about him when I leave. He's doing it now BTW

My wife knows about the annoying people I work with that she hasn't even met. I've been here almost 3 years and she knows all about Bob because Bob never comes to any company functions(she's been to more than he has). It's fun to gossip with your spouse about the shortcomings of others, helps you bond. WTF else are you going to talk about? Squash?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
OK here's some background.

I used to work at a grocery store chain for like 13 years. My brother and I both worked in the same department and I generally had fun even though my life was shit. Ended up meeting my wife there. Her mother and her brother also worked there.

Anytime the 3 of them got together it was a nonstop bitch fest for hours about work. Like 3 catty old ladies.

It was at that point I never talked about work to anyone in her family ever again.

Plus security clearance blah blah missiles blah blah

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well, of course there's a limit and priority to bitching about work. I only bring stuff up if she asks or it's really bothering me. I ain't interrupting our TV or ruining sex with that kind of shit, that's stupid.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I try to talk to my wife about work sometimes because I can tell she really wants me too, but the amount of backstory required just annoys me. If I have to get out a whiteboard and explain inodes to your before we can get to the part where the new guy tanked the HD on the server, I'm just exhausted at that point.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Babe before I explain to you about why our FICON card wasn't bifurcating to x4x4 instead of straight x8 please read this book on PCI architecture and take this 40 hour course.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
When someone asks me about my day it is always "I sat on hold with/yelled at other people's phone companies/ISPs all night while also doing 6 other jobs."

People don't ask me anymore.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Heh, my wife and I do similar work (both research) in different but related areas. Since we used to share some co-workers, she assumes I know who she's talking about or care about the office drama. I really, really don't. She's also never learned to get to the point, so every story starts from the very beginning, and then backs up two or three times Inception-style before she reaches the end.

Then she asks me how my day was and my response is, "Busy, but good." I don't spend time with my wife at home to talk about work. I spend all day dealing with that, and it's the last thing I want to discuss over Netflix and take out curry.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I love talking about my work, simply because it causes them to freak the fuck out, depending on how deep I go with it.