What do you do?

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
When someone asks me about my day it is always "I sat on hold with/yelled at other people's phone companies/ISPs all night while also doing 6 other jobs."

People don't ask me anymore.

Or you just noticed that the tea party of stuffed animals in your room could never talk in the first place

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't talk about work with anyone outside of work. Even friends in the office. When we're not at work, we do not discuss work. Other things make us friends - not the fact that we work together.

Honestly, I bet most of my friends don't even know what I do for a living. Except for "computer shit" or "tech shit".

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
One of the best compliments a friend ever gave me was when he said, "I don't really know what you do for a living. Everyone else complains about their job, so I know what they do. But I never hear a word out of you."

And I do love my job, so it was really nice to hear. :)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Heh, DIA company just called me back, offering me more than I make now at DoC but I can tell that I should be able to push that number higher. So I'm going to go for it and see if they bite.

I don't know if I would switch back. I would feel like a retard doing that, and I know it would piss off this new company. The thought crossed my mind of getting the offer and bringing it to my new company and giving them the chance to match or at least give me more or something, but since I've only been here a week I doubt they would. Plus I hated the commute and the job was way more policy than I had been led to believe.

In the end it will come down to about a 25k raise if I switch back to DIA. Thinking I can talk them into some kind of flex schedule as well since the commute sucks so many dicks, like a 4 on 3 off kind of thing. Not sure if that is enough to make me want to switch but it is a lot.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I imagine the smell would eventually get to you. I'm assuming those things are just soaked.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I imagine the smell would eventually get to you. I'm assuming those things are just soaked.
From tears? From humping them? Because my house flooded?

I'm not even sure in which specific way I'm being mocked here.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
giphy.gif

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
They called my bluff, 18% increase in pay (5k short of what I asked for, nbd) and a 4 day work week. I feel terrible, new PM is a nice guy. I just keep playing that Alec Baldwin scene in my head. Nice guy? Fuck you. Have to do what I have to do.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
They called my bluff, 18% increase in pay (5k short of what I asked for, nbd) and a 4 day work week. I feel terrible, new PM is a nice guy. I just keep playing that Alec Baldwin scene in my head. Nice guy? Fuck you. Have to do what I have to do.
Didn't you hate the cimpany you just came from or was it just the client?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Didn't you hate the cimpany you just came from or was it just the client?
The client is just clueless, which I can deal with. They've never had a steady IA presence so security is like a foreign concept to them. The company tried to low ball the shit out of everyone, they now realize the error of their ways.

Not the best company in the world or anything, but we don't have to be friends. The thing that sucked was the 2 hour commute every morning.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The client is just clueless, which I can deal with. They've never had a steady IA presence so security is like a foreign concept to them. The company tried to low ball the shit out of everyone, they now realize the error of their ways.

Not the best company in the world or anything, but we don't have to be friends. The thing that sucked was the 2 hour commute every morning.
Government client clueless, don't be redundant. Ahh 2 hour commute. That sucks.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
We just signed a government defense contractor to a huge ass deal and I was one of the main dudes involved in setting up their solution. It was a nightmare. No wonder the government spends $537956140576140 every year on defense with these dumbasses running their shit.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
So, Apparently, my boss's "plan" (whatever the fuck it happens to be) has been signed off on by the VP, but needs one more level of approval as per corporate horseshit. He's been told its just red tape and won't affect the outcome. Yet, he is unwilling to reveal even a broad overview of his plan.

The VP mentioned it to me, today, too....So I dunno WTF is going on. I just know I've been too fucking busy to push for it, and have to spend the weekend finalizing a new system to go into place during my trip Monday, so I wont have time to stress on it...thats good, at least?

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I'm probably moving to small town USA in Eastern Oregon, for a job at an Amazon data center. The job is contract to hire, and I had a good conversation today with a guy that works and does what I'd be doing, that the staffing agency had placed there a while ago. Was a what's up type of call, to tell me about the job, what I'd be doing, things like that. Asked him about interview questions and stuff so I can be as prepared for that as possible.

Was a good conversation, but while it's a 50% bump in pay, I can't help but feel it's a step down from what I do currently, but has way more room to grow, because it's Amazon.

Currently I rack and stack network equipment, make sure it comes back online, and if an upgrade, make sure what was connected, is still connected. We get the configs from network designers, and load them onto the switches, and make sure it all works. 60% of the time, no rack and stack needed, it's just an IOS upgrade + config change. That's majority of what I do, on top of that is just basic enterprise network trouble shooting.

The Amazon job is strictly rack and stack, with some basic fiber uplink trouble shooting. Way more physical, and the only logical work I'd be doing is loading up a stub config onto the new devices so they get an IP, then other network engineer dudes, or probably software defined stuff, will do the rest. Real grunt work, and I guess maybe that's what I'm already doing, but it doesn't feel that way? Amazon is just a lot more tiered than Boeing, but was told Amazon network engineers are people I'd work with quite a bit, and it's not uncommon to make the leap over to that side of things after getting some experience?

50% bump in pay, and what seems about a 40% drop in cost of living (comparing just rental rates), makes it good enough, but I'm just venting some concerns.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I'm probably moving to small town USA in Eastern Oregon, for a job at an Amazon data center. The job is contract to hire, and I had a good conversation today with a guy that works and does what I'd be doing, that the staffing agency had placed there a while ago. Was a what's up type of call, to tell me about the job, what I'd be doing, things like that. Asked him about interview questions and stuff so I can be as prepared for that as possible.

Was a good conversation, but while it's a 50% bump in pay, I can't help but feel it's a step down from what I do currently, but has way more room to grow, because it's Amazon.

Currently I rack and stack network equipment, make sure it comes back online, and if an upgrade, make sure what was connected, is still connected. We get the configs from network designers, and load them onto the switches, and make sure it all works. 60% of the time, no rack and stack needed, it's just an IOS upgrade + config change. That's majority of what I do, on top of that is just basic enterprise network trouble shooting.

The Amazon job is strictly rack and stack, with some basic fiber uplink trouble shooting. Way more physical, and the only logical work I'd be doing is loading up a stub config onto the new devices so they get an IP, then other network engineer dudes, or probably software defined stuff, will do the rest. Real grunt work, and I guess maybe that's what I'm already doing, but it doesn't feel that way? Amazon is just a lot more tiered than Boeing, but was told Amazon network engineers are people I'd work with quite a bit, and it's not uncommon to make the leap over to that side of things after getting some experience?

50% bump in pay, and what seems about a 40% drop in cost of living (comparing just rental rates), makes it good enough, but I'm just venting some concerns.

Sounds boring. Let me know if another position comes up.

I just spent the day convincing clueless elected officials that buying cameras for patrol cars may actually be worth it.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Honestly..Take the opportunity imho. Theres solid advancement options and a significant increase in expendable income.