What do you do?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There's a degree in forest management? What an oddly specific field.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What people call a Forestry degree (What a Forester has) nowdays. Double major forest management and wildlife management with a minor in biology.

From the quick result on google. There are approximately 29800 people employed as a Conservation Scientists and Foresters in the United States.

As the southest now outproduces the pacific northwest in forest products it's a pretty good career in the southeast. Forest products company such as Weyerhaeuser, Champion, Georgia Pacific, State and Federal agencies and too many to count smaller ones and landowners all require a BS. Techs now will normally have an associates degree.

While going to school and what I do now is a designed, drafted, and managed the fabrication of the stuff shown in my avatar. Not a lot of crossover lol. Maybe now finally heh.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

But off my forestry rant. I put it in politics and seems like the economy is picking up, at least to me. I've gotten more interest in jobs in the last 3 months than the last 3 years combined, referring people for jobs, asking me if I know anyone who would fit into a job, and most are expansion related jobs into existing companies.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
i think i need to go back on the market. gotten a little lazy in my current position.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There's an employment shortage in the SF tech industry right now. More positions than there are people.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
There's an employment shortage in the SF tech industry right now. More positions than there are people.
Any idea how the pharmaceutical or biotech industry out there is? Was in SF and Monterey for a week and after the current 100+ heat wave in DC I'm really considering moving out there.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Genentech is in South San Francisco and they're a massive employer in the area. Have Google-style buses that transport employees from the city to there. I know there are a lot of biotech automation companies around too. Like Intuitive Surgical. Might have to look into the Silicon Valley area.

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
It's not a people shortage, it's a housing shortage. Lots of people wanting to move into the bay who can't because there's nowhere to live. I don't mean not affordable, I mean literally nowhere to live.

We're damn lucky to rent a house close to my office. Most people spend all their time on shuttles. It's a stellar area and the climate is unbeatable, but goddamn do the housing rules really stifle progress.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That is also very true. There's nowhere to live in SF. There's just not enough land to support the demand.

Vinen

God is dead
That is also very true. There's nowhere to live in SF. There's just not enough land to support the demand.

Thats not actually true. There is plenty of areas they could rezone and build up.

Its just a giant NIMBY clusterfuck. Probably the most poorly run city in the country after Detroit.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
No one wants to build "up" though. We really like our Victorian houses and ability to see the sun.

Borzak

Not building up might be a good thing.

They call it "The Leaning Tower of San Francisco."

Vinen

God is dead
Not building up might be a good thing.

They call it "The Leaning Tower of San Francisco."

That tower has nothing to do with building up and all to do with poor Engineering. They didn't anchor the foundation correctly.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah that tower is a huge joke. And it was some of the most expensive housing in the city at one point.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
The city is pretty dense in a lot of ways. It's the rest of the peninsula that needs to be growing. The whole stretch from San Fran to San Jose has a 3 story cap on construction.

I've made my peace with it. I'm still making a shitload more than I was back east even accounting for housing costs. I'll just never own anything unless I jump ship for a startup that hits.

Vinen

God is dead
The city is pretty dense in a lot of ways. It's the rest of the peninsula that needs to be growing. The whole stretch from San Fran to San Jose has a 3 story cap on construction.

I've made my peace with it. I'm still making a shitload more than I was back east even accounting for housing costs. I'll just never own anything unless I jump ship for a startup that hits.

San Fransisco isn't that dense compared to other large cities. Just raze the tenderloin and build up.