What do you do?

Vinen

God is dead
It's the second most dense city in America. By a lot.

Depends on what cities you are looking at. My city is more dense than San Fransisco (albeit it much smaller) and we have very few tall buildings.
I'd say there is plenty of room for SF to build up. My city is looking at re-zoning right now in order to obtain more housing.

List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia

#16, Somerville
#21, San Fransico

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Going through old pics. Had forgotten about this one. I remember having arguments with friends about how bad the job market was here for blue-collar folks. They didn't really have a frame of reference, but having to seriously consider working for 1/2 or even 1/3rd of your old wages just to get by...it got pretty bad.

SqF3SdU.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Where is that? I thought blue collar skilled labor was still a huge money maker.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
It was in KC...had to have been 8-10 years ago, maybe more. But I still think those wages (non-Union) haven't quite returned to where they should be. I'm probably $4-$5/hr below where I think I should be right now.

Of course $11/hr was extremely low for 5 years experience and your own tools, $15/hr might have been low. But when you gotta eat, or go push carts at Wal-Mart...

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea non unionized people have to take their lumps. Union Tradesmen can make a killing these days though. It's almost criminal how much it costs to get a good plumber or electrician around here because all these idiot baby boomers thought their kid was too good for trade school and sent them to get a worthless degree at some 60k/yr college.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I passed my State Cat Wrangling Exam today, it has been a long 10 plus year journey to reinvent myself. I am pretty fucking happy that I passed on the first try, it would have been horrible to have to tell people I failed since Professional Cat Wrangling is so simple; the whole thing is just such a fucking relief.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Did it consist of questions like

To the borrower a property with X baseline is reported as

X+10%
X+15%
X+20%

To the lender a property withe baseline X is reported as

X+50%
X+60%
X+70%

To the seller a property with X baseline is reported as

X-90%
X-80%
X-70%

To the insurance agent a property with X baseline is reported as
X-10%
X-20%
X-30%

- just giving u shit ;-)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I got an email for Project Coordinator because I guess I had that title at one point because I was hired to replace/close down an office and they needed to keep it semi secret till everyone there finally retired. Anyway I got this email and JFC looks like they need to hire an entire office. I sent it to two other people in the industry and they pretty much said the same thing. I've worked mostly for smaller companies and 90% of the stuff on the list revolved around asking the person instead of making reports/paperwork. No fee was included. I guess Exxon/Mobil was the largest company I've dealt with and they were real big on face to face sit down meetings with everyone involved and the answer should be yes/no/or I will find out shortly.

If one person kept up with all this instead of just knowing what was supposed to be done, how do they get anything done? I'm 99.9% sure the job is to provide stuff for someone making an actual decision and for them to have a list of stuff to back up their decision. Everything from cost stuff to camera sign in and out in the field, and safety shit. Unless you are the site manager they normally have an entire department on safety stuff.

Here's the listings. I'm sure this is someone who wrote down everything someone else (or multiple someone elses) said they wanted and has no clue about what they actually need. It's temp to hire lol. Job is in Beaumont which means it's either a refinery, chemical plant, or a company that supports either or both of those.

Been an owner, know several owners and I'm pretty sure none of them would list all this shit lol. I know I've been extremely isolated and most "important" big hires have been word of mouth or close to it. But this blows my mind. It's like their computer got stuck and merged 40 jobs from the last year together.

Role Description: The Project Coordinator is a contract position hired under

Clients technical direction, policies, and procedures. Position performs task

associated with reviewing, coordinating, and analyzing project data according to

Clients goals and objectives. Primary Responsibilities: • Perform work activities

efficiently while continuously looking for cost-saving opportunities • Knowledgeable of

standard business cost control procedures and practices • Become familiar with and

comply with Clients project control procedures and practices • Identify

performance improvement opportunities • Provide Support to the Team in the

following analyst responsibilities: Purchase Requisitioning • Create purchase

requisitions in SAP and process change orders for capital projects • Attest Engineering,

Procurement, and Construction (EPC) invoices against vendor contracts • Input

budgets against the corresponding work-breakdown structures and verify the correct

documentation is approved and in place • Create service entry sheets in SAP in order

to release payment in a timely manner • Maintain and improve processes in order to

verify purchase orders are in place with sufficient funding at all times CDMS

Reporting • Verify contractors timesheets and pull reports from CDMS • Receives

DARs from all contractors. • Approves allocated time in

CDMS, using DARs to validate allocations • Approves allocated equipment in CDMS,

using DARs to validate allocations • Approves 3rd party invoices in CDMS, using

signed invoices and contractor contracts to validate charges • Verifies subcontract work

is zeroed out in CDMS Headcount • Track contractor daily headcount and overall

project safety hours by office and field • Receives headcount from contractors and

enters into database for contractors who do not have database access • Verifies all

contractors turn in headcount timely • Sends headcount report out daily SSHE Date

Entry • Administer safety IMPACT system for reporting incidents, tracking corrective

actions, sharing incidents, and collecting data for analyzing trends and behaviors. •

Input IMPACT data to include: LIs, LPOs, NLIs • Tracking and Data entry for Start of

Work, Housekeeping, Safety Observations, and other safety data (leading and lagging

indicators) • Purchase and track Safety awards Other Administrative Duties • Support

document control activities utilizing Client document control system • Manage

project team SharePoint site • POC for camera checkout process, uploading picture

files, and file sharing • Project assets and rental equipment assignment and tracking for

IPT • Provide administrative assistance and coordinate facility requirements as needed

Desired competencies and experience: • Safety Champion portrays a personal

example of excellent safety, performance, mindset, and commitment • Bachelors

Degree or 10 years of related industry experience • Minimum of 5 years of experience

working with business project controls data • Knowledge of SAP, SharePoint, CDMS

and TRACK systems • Strong communication skills needed to manage multiple

interfaces with Client EPC contractors • Proactive and self-motivated with the ability

to execute work with minimal direction from supervision • Understand and utilize

standard auditing requirements • Intermediate/advanced level in SAP, MS Excel, MS

Word (preferred)

"MAIN FUNCTIONS Provide office coordination in support of geophysical vendor field

operations TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES • Coordinates the implementation of

project procedures including design sub-consultants • Coordinates the review of design

documents by the design team and other stakeholders; ensuring tracking and

incorporation of comments by the design leads • Coordinates systems engineering

activities including requirements management, interface management, design risk

management, HAZOPs, 3D model reviews • Support issuance of RFIs to the Client •

Responsible for working in Clients office location helping coordinate geophysical

vendor field operations • Communicate with Clients office personnel to ensure

project proceeds according to Company standards • Assist in coordinating work in the

field with other simultaneous operations occurring in the same work area SKILLS AND

QUALIFICATIONS • Bachelors degree in Engineering, Construction Management,

Project Management • Knowledge of Project Management Processes; Project

Management Professional (PMP) certification an asset • Minimum 5 years project

coordination experience and/or technical experience in large Design & Build • Must

have excellent communication skills, possess high level of integrity, and willingness to

build trust and accountability in inter-personal relationships while working in team

setting • Must be fluent in both written and spoken English • Must be proficient in

current communication mediums and technologies (i.e., Microsoft Office,

telecommunications, email, meetings) • Must be in good physical condition and shall

comply with all project health and safety requirements (including any vendor, vessel or

country-specific certifications required to work offshore) • Must comply with all

requirements per the agreement • Certifications must be current and not due to expire

for the anticipated duration of the project • Experience dealing with general contractors

and design sub consultants " [/spoiler

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Where do you work?

I live in San Ramon and work in the East Bay. I’m lucky in that I’m a Bay Area person with no commute to speak of.

What do you do? (Title/keywords)

Land rights / real estate law, but I am not a lawyer. I have a land surveying background. I do permitting, assist with land acquisition, and aid in the enforcement of our land rights (i.e. if someone tells us we can’t put something where we have an easement.) If I can’t get things resolved we do have lawyers.

What field/industry?

A large company with a lot of tubes.

Wages?

As of recently around $135k. I moved up in one line of progression. I am an hourly employee, so this can vary based on hours worked. I typically work no more than 2-4 hours of overtime a week and many weeks zero.

Bonuses/SEP?

Hourly employees get no bonuses at my company.

Benefits?

Union job, virtually free healthcare, a pension, and 401k match at 6 percent. There are also various other things like tuition they’ll pay for at like eight grand a year. Three weeks of vacation, 10 paid holidays, 96 hours of sick time, and one paid sick day a month that’s use it or lose it.

I’m approaching 40 years old and I moved from the east coast to California in 2015. I made _way less_ out there than I did here. Granted it’s more expensive to live here and I don’t know I’ll stay forever as I can’t ever buy house, I’m doing okay and I still even with my $2400 a month rent have more money and benefits than I did in Florida.

Fun fact: I’m a college dropout. 13 years in private sector land surveying got me into this company. Trades really can be lucrative.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I made _way less_ out there than I did here. Granted it’s more expensive to live here and I don’t know I’ll stay forever as I can’t ever buy house, I’m doing okay and I still even with my $2400 a month rent have more money and benefits than I did in Florida.

Yep. Even though housing prices are absurd and not entirely realistic depending on where you want to be, the wages here are crazy higher than almost anywhere else.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had a dream about a guy I met a few times 25 years ago (ish). He was the brother of the guy I worked for who was one of 3 owners at a company of 50. I knew the guy was pretty well off and had made money in electronics and texas instruments from way back. I looked him up and mentioned him to my mom and dad. When I worked at the company my check didn't come from the company I worked for. I worked at/for SS&S Fabricators but my check was from TechniComp and I knew nobody else had a check from that. On one ocassion a lot of peoples check bounced and mine didn't which is when I looked into it.

Apparently the guys brother was on his ass to get more tech oriented and I was the only draftsman there that used a computer. According to my mom and dad (Dad worked there and quit the day I was born and had met the guy a few times) I was paid by what I called the owners brother.

Kind of blows my mind. I should have stuck more with him and hit him up for more jobs. He paid well, I quit after threatening to almost kill his nephew he was coked out at the time.

I looked up his obit and he died a few years ago. Mind blowing lol. I know it has nothing to do with what I do now, just can't state enough how mind blowing it is to me. The few times I met the guy he seemed like an ordinary guy and on one ocassion we walked out to the shop and talked about ways we could speed up production using computer tech and such. Apparently he wasn't getting anywhere with his brother. I do know he kept the company afloat on many ocassions with cash, and competitors knew it as well.

Leonce John "L.J." Sevin Jr.'s Obituary on Dallas Morning News

While working at Texas Instruments, L.J. wrote the definitive book on "Field Effect Transistors". The book was ultimately translated into seven languages and L.J. was recognized as the expert in this field. In 1969, with a small group of other TI engineers, L.J. cofounded Mostek Corporation and served as CEO for ten years. The company made and patented several significant innovations in the semiconductor memory market, including ion implementation processing and the first single chip calculator. Mostek was among a handful of companies credited with the amazing advances in electronics over the past fifty years. L.J. led Mostek to national and international status.

L.J., along with Ben Rosen, a respected securities analyst on Wall Street, established Sevin Rosen Funds, a venture capital fund, in 1981. Helping to start Compaq Computer Corporation in 1982 was one of the fund's earliest successes. The Compaq Portable PC revolutionized the personal computer industry. In addition to backing Compaq, Sevin Rosen was involved in providing venture capital to many other technology companies, including Lotus Development Corporation, Electronic Arts, Citrix, Ciena, Cyrix and Cypress Semiconductor.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Where do you work? Stanford Emergency Room and Kaiser Permanente (After hours clinic / primary clinic)

What do you do? (Title/keywords) - Registered nurse for both

What field/industry? - Medical

Wages? - 100k for Kaiser (20 hours/week) and 140k for Stanford (36 hours/week)

Bonuses/SEP? - Every year. 8% for one institution and 4% for the other/year with an additional 4% at original hire date.

Benefits? - Dental, vision, medical, life, disability, pet, home, car, pension, 401K, 403b

Guess I forgot to mention I'm 32.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Siliconemelons

But guys, there are so many TV shows about poor nurses and how they have to work 2 other jobs to make ends meet.

While my wife is a teacher with a masters and makes 1/4 of that and like 0 of the benefits and much the same 40+ hours.

Why didnt teachers and stuff get the social pressure to up the wages like nursing did in the 90s?