What do you do?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Because if a nurse fucks up, the costs are large. When a teacher fucks up, nothing happens that wasn't going to happen anyway. So paying nurses more in order to attract more competent people makes sense. And paying teachers dog shit also makes sense.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
But guys, there are so many TV shows about poor nurses and how they have to work 2 other jobs to make ends meet.

While my wife is a teacher with a masters and makes 1/4 of that and like 0 of the benefits and much the same 40+ hours.

Why didnt teachers and stuff get the social pressure to up the wages like nursing did in the 90s?

It's highly dependent on the area. Bay area is an anomaly because of high housing cost. Most states, nurses make anywhere from $15/hr to $45/hr. It's rare for nurses to be making upwards $70/hr. I think it's only the Bay area that does this (and perhaps maybe one other region in the country).

You can't also forget that unionized hospitals tend to allow nurses make a little more than they would if the hospital wasn't.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Correct; the only reason Bay Area nurses make 100k is because that's what they need to subsist in the Bay Area. NYC nurses might also push six figs, but I'm not sure.

I am a nurse in the Midwest, working as a utilization manager for an insurance company; that is to say, when your doctor orders an exotic test, treatment, surgery, or medication, I am one of the people responsible for determining whether insurance will pay for it. If a doc does a good job with his paperwork, and the request uncontroversially meets criteria from the insurance policy I am reviewing against, I can authorize the procedure at my level. Otherwise, I send the case to a doctor who makes the final determination whether to approve or deny.

I make about 59.5k, although I get an autobump to ~63k next year because they automatically increase your skill level from Reviewer Associate to Reviewer I after one year. The usual benefits, health/dental/vision, 401k, disability, a small life insurance policy that is just enough to bury you but is free. We do get $30/month to go to whatever gym we want to. If you want to adopt, the company will also kick up to 5k your way to help pay for all the paperwork, which is especially nice for gay couples.

Quarterly bonuses between 0.625% and 1.25% of our base salary depending on whether we meet our individual/team goals. Team Leads get double that.

Team Leads start at around 70, first-level Managers around 80.

They pay for your home?
If you're a travel nurse, they normally pay for housing, yes. If you're a permanent employee, that's pretty rare and probably a Kaiser thing; they're like the Rolls-Royce of hospitals as far as nursing goes.

I should've been a nurse

Be glad you didn't; it sucks. I am happy now that I got my ass out of the clinical world, but I spent over two years cleaning up literal shit on a daily basis, dealing with a bunch of drug-seekers who wanted their morphine and Dilaudid gibsmedats, and demented old people. I was very, very close to a mental breakdown.

Last edited:

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Good friend is a nurse. He was an ER nurse at the lvl 1 trauma hospital whatever that entails, for years. Charity hospital in New Orleans, but he liked it and was always busy. He did nurses on the road for a while with his wife, Carmel CA, D.C., Denver. He eventually moved into management when they built a new hospital. In Louisiana which is not a high paying state he makes 120k ish. His wife was a nurse and went back to school to become a nurse practioner. She makes just above $100k/year but she works at the college and therefore works part time or light load in the summer. I'm guessing a lot of her stuff is the same stuff over and over from college aged people. She has a really light schedule and no working weekends and such which is a huge bonus.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Correct; the only reason Bay Area nurses make 100k is because that's what they need to subsist in the Bay Area. NYC nurses might also push six figs, but I'm not sure.

I am a nurse in the Midwest, working as a utilization manager for an insurance company; that is to say, when your doctor orders an exotic test, treatment, surgery, or medication, I am one of the people responsible for determining whether insurance will pay for it. If a doc does a good job with his paperwork, and the request uncontroversially meets criteria from the insurance policy I am reviewing against, I can authorize the procedure at my level. Otherwise, I send the case to a doctor who makes the final determination whether to approve or deny.

I make about 59.5k, although I get an autobump to ~63k next year because they automatically increase your skill level from Reviewer Associate to Reviewer I after one year. The usual benefits, health/dental/vision, 401k, disability, a small life insurance policy that is just enough to bury you but is free. We do get $30/month to go to whatever gym we want to. If you want to adopt, the company will also kick up to 5k your way to help pay for all the paperwork, which is especially nice for gay couples.

Quarterly bonuses between 0.625% and 1.25% of our base salary depending on whether we meet our individual/team goals. Team Leads get double that.

Team Leads start at around 70, first-level Managers around 80.

If you're a travel nurse, they normally pay for housing, yes. If you're a permanent employee, that's pretty rare and probably a Kaiser thing; they're like the Rolls-Royce of hospitals as far as nursing goes.

Be glad you didn't; it sucks. I am happy now that I got my ass out of the clinical world, but I spent over two years cleaning up literal shit on a daily basis, dealing with a bunch of drug-seekers who wanted their morphine and Dilaudid gibsmedats, and demented old people. I was very, very close to a mental breakdown.
My aunt was the head nurse (or whatever that means) at the local hospital until she got typhoid in India and is now borderline retarded from the brain lesions. She was never rich, but I remember her always doing well. That said, I much prefer engineering.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Haven't teacher salaries stagnated because competition is essentially driving the salaries to that point? There is a massive shortage of good teaching jobs for the amount of kids graduating college with teaching degrees these days. You have to take a job which essentially puts you at risk for $40k/yr or get lucky with timing when applying at a good school. I also don't understand teacher pay scales. It seems (at least in my state) even elementary teachers have a "tenure" setup that depends entirely on time served rather than actual performance, which makes their pension plans ridiculously lucrative. Sure they don't get paid shit for the first 15 years they teach but after that they ride the gravy train literally until they die.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Haven't teacher salaries stagnated because competition is essentially driving the salaries to that point? There is a massive shortage of good teaching jobs for the amount of kids graduating college with teaching degrees these days. You have to take a job which essentially puts you at risk for $40k/yr or get lucky with timing when applying at a good school. I also don't understand teacher pay scales. It seems (at least in my state) even elementary teachers have a "tenure" setup that depends entirely on time served rather than actual performance, which makes their pension plans ridiculously lucrative. Sure they don't get paid shit for the first 15 years they teach but after that they ride the gravy train literally until they die.

Teaching? Lucrative? My mom has been in the school system where I came from for 30 years, she makes like $45k a year. She's not a teacher though. I think I looked at the payscale for the public schools where she lives, they cap out at like $60k after 25-30 years. Horrible.

What is "ridiculously lucrative" for teaching?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Even though pension guarantees a certain amount of money until you die, it's usually like %50 of your salary if you meet all the requirements so for a teacher that's like 30k a year, and that aint shit. I'm vested into a state retirement system and I'll probably make more on my pension with 10 years of service than most teachers at 30+.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This will obviously depend on state but like I said, here in CT, teacher salaries, by the end of your career, can approach 100k and their pensions pay out up to 75% of your highest 3 years of salary earnings.

http://www.ct.gov/trb/lib/trb/formsandpubs/RPC92001.pdf

My brother's fiance is a teacher and was lucky enough to get a job out of college in a pretty good school district.

Getting 65k+/yr after you retire is better than probably 95% of the people in the USA can say about their retirement funds. And that's not including whatever retirement plans they pay into with their salaries. Yes, at first teacher salaries are fairly low, but like I said, at least here in CT there is a pay scale that works like a tenure system. These are average median salaries for several school districts here, teachers with 25+ years in those districts tend to make much more than that median:

Salary for Public School Teacher in Connecticut

I'm not saying every state is like this but in CT if you can land a good teaching job early in your career you will be set quite nicely by retirement age. Might be a struggle early on but the payoff is worth it, at least here.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My buddy got a teaching job out of college for $65k. Not sure what the cap was but wasn't too bad for a teacher

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Where do you work? Stanford Emergency Room and Kaiser Permanente (After hours clinic / primary clinic)

What do you do? (Title/keywords) - Registered nurse for both

What field/industry? - Medical

Wages? - 100k for Kaiser (20 hours/week) and 140k for Stanford (36 hours/week)

Bonuses/SEP? - Every year. 8% for one institution and 4% for the other/year with an additional 4% at original hire date.

Benefits? - Dental, vision, medical, life, disability, pet, home, car, pension, 401K, 403b

Guess I forgot to mention I'm 32.

Thats really good income even in the Bay Area. Props.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
My wife is a kindergarten teacher. Next year will be her 18th year and she'll get a big bump in salary to $75k a year after that she's going to get like $1k or less a year increase until she retires. She currently makes 56k

She is eligible for retirement in 7 years and will get 60% of her pay for the last three years until she dies. She's also has to put 14.5% into the pension plan

Vinen

God is dead
Thats really good income even in the Bay Area. Props.

That doesn't seem too good for the bay area. He's working 56 hours a week. (I assume this is common in the medical industry?)
I make a similar amount and would not touch the bay area. (I would get a salary bump if I relocated to the HQ from Boston)

----

Where do you work? Remote site of software company based in SV.
What do you do? (Title/keywords) - Software Engineer / Architect
What field/industry? - Datacenter Automation
Wages? - 215K Salary
Bonuses/SEP? - 20% Target + RSU (~100K/year)
Benefits? - Dental, vision, medical, life, disability, pet, home, car, pension, 401K, 403b

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
That doesn't seem too good for the bay area. He's working 56 hours a week. (I assume this is common in the medical industry?)

Among doctors (especially residents), yes. Among nurses, not so much unless you are a manager/executive, an APRN of some type like a nurse practitioner, or a home health nurse (all three are usually salaried). Most other nurses are hourly, and hospital bigwigs don't want to pay overtime unless they have no other choice. Floor nurses normally do their "3 12s" and they're done for a week.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I make a similar amount and would not touch the bay area. (I would get a salary bump if I relocated to the HQ from Boston)

----

Where do you work? Remote site of software company based in SV.
What do you do? (Title/keywords) - Software Engineer / Architect
What field/industry? - Datacenter Automation
Wages? - 215K Salary
Bonuses/SEP? - 20% Target + RSU (~100K/year)

He’s still making way more money than most people in the Bay Area. As if everyone here has a high paying tech job. Shitloads of people here making way under 100k, or under 75k for that matter. 240k plus bonuses most certainly is “good for the Bay Area.”
It’s not even like every tech worker here is making that much. Lot of people here surviving on 50k.

That’s some humble brag / aspie shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vinen

God is dead
He’s still making way more money than most people in the Bay Area. As if everyone here has a high paying tech job. Shitloads of people here making way under 100k, or under 75k for that matter. 240k plus bonuses most certainly is “good for the Bay Area.”
It’s not even like every tech worker here is making that much. Lot of people here surviving on 50k.

You can barely buy a house on a 240K salary in the bay area. That is my basis for it being "good."

Consider that 117K is considered low income. He's at barely 2x low-income for a household.
In the Bay Area, Households Making $117,000 Are Now Considered Low Income

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
You can barely buy a house on a 240K salary in the bay area. That is my basis for it being "good."

Consider that 117K is considered low income. He's at barely 2x low-income for a household.
In the Bay Area, Households Making $117,000 Are Now Considered Low Income

Hey Cletus, that’s for a household of four. You know, two adults and two expensive ass kids.

And you can most certainly buy a house here making $240k a year. Are you really this out of it or hella aspie?

You’re digging yourself deeper into looking dumb. You can afford a nice ass house making that much, not everywhere here is Palo Alto, and I don’t mean living in a ghetto. You can afford to buy a badass house in a nice area making that.

Aside from the fact Kuurin I think has mentioned renting out a second house in the north bay or something, so it sounds like he’s doing okay. Plus whatever money his partner makes.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

You new here? It's his MO

Kuriin also has a husband (I think) that works too.