What do you do?

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I thought that the value of an MBA is directly tied to the rank of the school where you earned it. I'm not saying that having no MBA is a better choice, but if you are planning on getting on eventually then it's probably worthwhile to see how prestigious you can go. If you otherwise wouldn't get an MBA, I don't see how this can really hurt you.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes, I'd still say never pay for one unless it's top ten stuff but free degrees are always good. Also I find if companies are willing to pay for it they value it, regardless of the actual worth.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Update, my job still fucking sucks. 12 hour shift on Saturday and I got yelled at for wanting a 5 minute break to eat in the kitchen instead of my desk, I finally got it when my supervisor looked at my desk which is like a foot shallower than the ones in all the other rows and realized that there's no place to eat on my desk.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Update, my job still fucking sucks. 12 hour shift on Saturday and I got yelled at for wanting a 5 minute break to eat in the kitchen instead of my desk, I finally got it when my supervisor looked at my desk which is like a foot shallower than the ones in all the other rows and realized that there's no place to eat on my desk.
Rhode Island labor law requires that you take a 30 minute lunch break if you work an 8 hour shift. If the corporation's headquarters are in a different state, you follow whatever the strictest break requirements are between the two states. So if your corporation was based out of California, you'd actually be entitled to a 10 minute break for every 4 hours worked, and on a shift over 10 hours you're entitled to two separate meal breaks.

*edit*

That's an assumption based on my experience working in Illinois for a corporation HQed in California. I don't actually know for sure if that's how the law works, or if HR just thought it was simpler that way.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, no shit it's illegal, they're well aware that it's very illegal and they do it anyway. Everyone outside the NOC gets to take their legally mandated paid 15 minute breaks per 4 hours and 30 minute unpaid lunch per 8 hour, and they generally take those all together in a 1 hour lunch and actually leave the building.

ButINSIDEthe NOC, lol. You're expected to schedule your lunch on your time sheet 30 minutes before your shift begins, and then work solid through your entire shift, with no paid 15 minute breaks, and somehow eat at your desk in between taking calls, monitoring alarms, remoting into machines, writing service emails, filling out tickets, auditing and/or patching servers.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Up early today. I have an interview to consult with a company that is building wood pellet mills in MS and LA and transporting them to LA on the river where they are stored under a giant dome to be loaded onto ships that take them to England to burn in converted coal plants for power. I did the steel on the dome, small world.

They are having "communication" issues with landowners where they are sourcing the trees and problems getting their pellet mill up and running after being completed 2 years ago. They let $1 million in trees they had harvested rot while they worked on it. They are in the process of building the second one just minutes away and they can't figure out the first.

We shall see. Not sure they appreciated my comment last time I talked to them that they could use the giant dome in wet weather to play basketball or even baseball. They probably haven't talked to many "applicans" with a degree in forestry that understand the workings of an industrial setting.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I eat at my desk everyday and have to work through it too. Also I'm on salary so if I have to work after 5PM it's unpaid overtime.

FUCKING SWEATSHOP HERE

Borzak

I did get a letter once. When I owned the company I bought lunch for everyone in the office every day and had it delivered or picked up. They were free to go where they wanted, but it was easy to buy for all 7 people at once. I bought for a few in the shop that were quasi management as well.

Someone complained and the state said I had to give them freedom to leave and do their own lunch. Nobody was stopping them, but people didn't want to pass up a free lunch.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Offer arrived this morning. It's official. I just told my Co-PI on our largest project. He's happy for me but also sorta bummed to be going it alone from here.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
So I'm currently looking into switching shops. We run a 3 tech set up at my current shop and about a month ago, another tech got put out on workers comp, if I quit there will only be one tech. Trying not to screw them over but I'm not interested in staying at the shop no matter the raise they offer. Pretty conflicted on this.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm currently looking into switching shops. We run a 3 tech set up at my current shop and about a month ago, another tech got put out on workers comp, if I quit there will only be one tech. Trying not to screw them over but I'm not interested in staying at the shop no matter the raise they offer. Pretty conflicted on this.
They would fire you without blinking if they were closing your shop so do whats best for you. Capitalism demands it.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
They would fire you without blinking if they were closing your shop so do whats best for you. Capitalism demands it.
I'm well aware of that, I'm just in a really good spot (ten minute bike ride from the house, downtown location, 2 weeks vacation). I lIke all the people in the shop, plenty of work but i just have massive issues with the owner so I've finally decided that I need to change jobs cause obviously the ownership won't

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I notified my supervisor and director today (after submitting my signed offer letter!). Man that was tough. I've been here a decade, and my boss has been so incredible to me over the years. Hell, I even met my wife here. Anyway, they took it well and understand why I'm ready to move on. My director wants me to maintain some connection to the university, and I'm amenable to that. I'll drop my time here dramatically once I start with Pearson (y'all guessed right) next month. That way I can still represent the college at the remaining conference obligations I still have.

Borzak

The place I talked to today built part of their facility on leased land from Georgia Pacific because GP had a mill there at one point and had a giant wood layout yard. Part of their leases said the new company couldn't do a competing business. Now they are in litigation because the new company buys timber and GP considers that a competitor - which it is. LOL, dumbasses.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, no shit it's illegal, they're well aware that it's very illegal and they do it anyway. Everyone outside the NOC gets to take their legally mandated paid 15 minute breaks per 4 hours and 30 minute unpaid lunch per 8 hour, and they generally take those all together in a 1 hour lunch and actually leave the building.

ButINSIDEthe NOC, lol. You're expected to schedule your lunch on your time sheet 30 minutes before your shift begins, and then work solid through your entire shift, with no paid 15 minute breaks, and somehow eat at your desk in between taking calls, monitoring alarms, remoting into machines, writing service emails, filling out tickets, auditing and/or patching servers.
So go to the break room, eat your lunch, read a book, and if your boss comes looking for you tell him to go fuck himself. Stop being such a spineless pussy all your life. You rolled over and let your mother fuck you for years, now you're letting the middle management at some corporate shithole cornhole you too. Grow a fucking backbone, or pride, or something. fuck.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Technically I only got this job to pay off my mom's credit card bills from the flood, so even if I did stick up for myself at the job, it'd really only have the net effect of fucking myself over all the same.