What do you do?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Like I said I'm a douche. I know in Canada when you become an engineer you get a ring or some shit. Here you get your PE but since it's only really useful to a handful of engineering disciplines most in my field don't get it.

I've considered it but there's no value gained for me.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
People who get worked up about titles either excited or salty are dumb. Titles are arbitrary.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
IT isn't really like that, much to Noodlebro's chagrin. Crone has his CCNA, he's a network engineer. Pretty much if you build systems, you're an engineer. In security they refer to people who analyze log data and shit as engineers.
IT guy here, got my CCNA out of high school in 2001. Engineer titles are given out like candy. It's more of a descriptor than anything else. Think of Miles O`Brien, patron saint of the randomly titled Engineer. Until DS9 the dude just messed with a transporter all day. I fix and build shit so I am an engineer. I DO have an Engineering degree that I never use, but I never consider myself and Engineer because I learned some code 16 years ago. I consider myself and Engineer because I design and make shit work.

I have a Computer Science/Electrical Engineering degree. Which in the early 2000s is as close to a network/computer based degree as you can get. What I remember about either can fill a sheet of notebook paper. I know some ancient .net.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not talking about titles specifically. I don't really care if Bob is software engineer 1 or senior software engineer

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Meet with the LL people next week. Also, that position would be Principal Test Design Engineer. Get salty Noodle cause I ain't no engineer.

Vinen

God is dead
Meet with the LL people next week. Also, that position would be Principal Test Design Engineer. Get salty Noodle cause I ain't no engineer.
What role will you be serving as a "Principal Test Design Engineer."

(I was originally a Test Engineer but left that far behind at this point)

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
What role will you be serving as a "Principal Test Design Engineer."

(I was originally a Test Engineer but left that far behind at this point)
To be honest I really don't know. They like my experience in my field (chem/bio defense) and want to bring in someone to manage testing of stuff (sensors or detectors maybe?)

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Not looking for a new job for a long while, but a question popped into my head, and I'm curious of the response.

How does someone put into their resume that they did way more than the job title would imply, without coming off as a show off? As it applies to me, I'm a network tech. I load up Cisco IOS configs onto devices. So many times that shit is wrong, and it's our job to make it right, not the fucking designer who gets paid triple what I do. Makes total sense, right? Well, much of the troubleshooting and fixing I feel is CCNP level shit, but I don't have a CCNP. It's great experience, but would a simple bullet point about trouble shooting, with examples ready, if asked be sufficient?
Change your job title.

radditsu

Not looking for a new job for a long while, but a question popped into my head, and I'm curious of the response.

How does someone put into their resume that they did way more than the job title would imply, without coming off as a show off? As it applies to me, I'm a network tech. I load up Cisco IOS configs onto devices. So many times that shit is wrong, and it's our job to make it right, not the fucking designer who gets paid triple what I do. Makes total sense, right? Well, much of the troubleshooting and fixing I feel is CCNP level shit, but I don't have a CCNP. It's great experience, but would a simple bullet point about trouble shooting, with examples ready, if asked be sufficient?
SOO what do you do to fix it. do you just add layer 2 vlans? do you trunk ports? do you have to load routing protocols? do you do layer 3 routing? VRRP? Add radius authentication to the switches? Properly configure SNMP? DSCP packet shaping? Priority Queuing? 802.1x? Mac- authentication?

Setting a switchport access or setting an untagged VLAN is usually something I could care less about unless i am 1 for 1 replacing a switch. The other stuff I would expect someone to eventually learn if they want to progress.

To be fair I don't exactly know or care what is CCNA/CCNP level stuff anymore. I don't work with cisco equipment right now.

Vinen

God is dead
SOO what do you do to fix it. do you just add layer 2 vlans? do you trunk ports? do you have to load routing protocols? do you do layer 3 routing? VRRP? Add radius authentication to the switches? Properly configure SNMP? DSCP packet shaping? Priority Queuing? 802.1x? Mac- authentication?

Setting a switchport access or setting an untagged VLAN is usually something I could care less about unless i am 1 for 1 replacing a switch. The other stuff I would expect someone to eventually learn if they want to progress.

To be fair I don't exactly know or care what is CCNA/CCNP level stuff anymore. I don't work with cisco equipment right now.
Physical Networking jobs will be decreased/automated away within the next 10-20 years with the introduction of SDN. There will still be jobs around but I wouldn't make a career out of it anymore. Even Cisco is starting to realize this.

Cisco CEO: We're Talking With VMware About Closer Software-Defined Networking Relationship - Page: 1 | CRN

Just look at the effect Virtualization had. The same will occur with both Network and Storage.

//This is the area I work on.

radditsu

Physical Networking jobs will be decreased/automated away within the next 10-20 years with the introduction of SDN. There will still be jobs around but I wouldn't make a career out of it anymore. Even Cisco is starting to realize this.

Cisco CEO: We're Talking With VMware About Closer Software-Defined Networking Relationship - Page: 1 | CRN

Just look at the effect Virtualization had. The same will occur with both Network and Storage.

//This is the area I work on.
How am i supposed to get that from:

Because that sounds like you are a low level port monkey.

We have been looking into SDN solutions, but we arent really big enough to worry about it. There are a ton of places out there that are stagnant and will not be willing to just change what they are doing because its a "new" thing. Jesus Christ we still have an AS400 in use, so does the County. The previous job i had I had to PROVE (really, really, really prove) virtualization to my boss before I was even willing to give it a go. When I was outside the public sector i was finding Novell stuff out in the wild. When I got to this job they were using 10 year old unmanaged garbage for most of the network.

Also VMware, seeesh, what a company that has so many fingers in pies that they don't know what they are really doing anymore. I love their pre vsphere 6.0 product, because i hate the 6.0 GUI, but they have their fingers in a ton of pies. And they make some shitty pies. I am looking at you Zimbra.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah that web gui is bullshit. Give me the console back you fucking monsters.

I have only read about SDN from a security standpoint, I work for the govt so of course they haven't implemented it yet. It sounds like the train is coming, though.

Vinen

God is dead
Yeah that web gui is bullshit. Give me the console back you fucking monsters.

I have only read about SDN from a security standpoint, I work for the govt so of course they haven't implemented it yet. It sounds like the train is coming, though.
Sadly its gone in vSphere.NEXT. I've actually had arguments with those who own this area of the product :|
No more C# Client.

I'm just stating the train is coming for low level network people. They can get on it or be hit by it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No radd, you are right. I'm probably over-stating what I'm actually having to fix, and it's probably still falls under the low level port monkey bull shit. That's all I am right now, as this is my first job in Networking with a fresh CCNA. WGU just released a data analytics/Big Data degree program. I'm currently enrolled in their network security program, that I literally just started this month. Wonder if going Big Data would make any more sense. I'm intrigued by statistics at least?

Vinen

God is dead
No radd, you are right. I'm probably over-stating what I'm actually having to fix, and it's probably still falls under the low level port monkey bull shit. That's all I am right now, as this is my first job in Networking with a fresh CCNA. WGU just released a data analytics/Big Data degree program. I'm currently enrolled in their network security program, that I literally just started this month. Wonder if going Big Data would make any more sense. I'm intrigued by statistics at least?
Big Data. Also known as companies using Hadoop to solve small data problems.

radditsu

Medical analytics is going to be Yuuuuuuge. The next few years there will be a massive influx of data from Meaningful use initiatives and those systems are still in their infancy. They are still building guidelines at CMS. The front end of the money to developers has already came and went but the back end data collection and collation will be a great way to make money. Too bad I can't stand that stuff.

IBM News room - 2016-02-18 IBM Watson Health Announces Plans to Acquire Truven Health Analytics for $2.6B, Extending Its Leadership in Value-Based Care Solutions - United States

This is how IBM is actually going to make money in the future. When their system can predict exactly who will die by what complication and when. Once data collection goes fully online.

CnCGOD_sl

shitlord
Big Data. Also known as companies using Hadoop to solve small data problems.
Hah, there are some real big data applications out there but a lot of truth in that statement. This is why I switched to NoSQL 2.5yrs ago or so, solving real distributed and uptime problems is more fun. Now if the markets would just recover so we can go public~! 37000 shares of pure nothing right now, but good signs.

Downside of all this is the ASF are a bunch of academic commies who make it hard to actually break even by meddling for no reason.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Medical analytics is going to be Yuuuuuuge. The next few years there will be a massive influx of data from Meaningful use initiatives and those systems are still in their infancy. They are still building guidelines at CMS. The front end of the money to developers has already came and went but the back end data collection and collation will be a great way to make money. Too bad I can't stand that stuff.

IBM News room - 2016-02-18 IBM Watson Health Announces Plans to Acquire Truven Health Analytics for $2.6B, Extending Its Leadership in Value-Based Care Solutions - United States

This is how IBM is actually going to make money in the future. When their system can predict exactly who will die by what complication and when. Once data collection goes fully online.
It's going to take longer than a few years. Even though meaningful use is pushing hospitals and doctors to get their ass in gear when it comes to EHR what they are doing, just to comply, is basically unusable in any meaningful way (hah!).

For the last 2 years I was building the EHR system for the Connecticut's Medicaid program and the shit they had me doing/wanted me to do was utterly pointless and had me still using 20 year old technology to do it.

FHIR is going to be big if HL7 can actually get people to adopt it and it's a slam dunk to get into healthcare and start learning this stuff. But I completely agree, so much money to be made in the coming years.