What do you do?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I am actually considering taking a cert camp to get everything i can done. But the expense is so retarded on those things. I just have been here for four years now and I let everything expire.
Well I should clarify.

If you have a degree/career already and want to augment your abilities a coding camp might be good (I say might because most are trash). But I don't like the guys with no career or knowledge who take one and compete for jobs.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Unfortunately not currently. My old job gave me a yearly education stipend of 3k (though it was pulling teeth to get shit approved). My current one wouldn't even let me expense a $44 CCNA book under the educational account.

Qerero

Golden Knight of the Realm
Unfortunately not currently. My old job gave me a yearly education stipend of 3k (though it was pulling teeth to get shit approved). My current one wouldn't even let me expense a $44 CCNA book under the educational account.

I'm an IT Project Manager, and just finished the prereqs to get PMP certified earlier this year. My boss at the time was more than happy to rubber-stamp the expenses - course, exam fee, etc - but we just did a reorg and the new guy seems like he's not going to support it at all. FML.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well I should clarify.

If you have a degree/career already and want to augment your abilities a coding camp might be good (I say might because most are trash). But I don't like the guys with no career or knowledge who take one and compete for jobs.

I imagine it is like anything. You don't take a SANS course and come in aND start telling everyone what's what. You do that to show effort and a basic level of knowledge, then you map out your goals and show an employer you are serious about the field. I've taken several coding classes at this point and I don't even put that shit on my resume.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Some of those camps are worthwhile...I took the CISSP one and passed my Cert the next day. It was a long week, but better than studying on my own for it. The test is a little bullshit...Lots of archaic questions and tricky wordings. I still passed, but doing the bootcamp certainly helped. I can't imagine doing a coding camp though...Kill me now.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can echo chaos' statements, as proof. Like most here I've been a computer nerd for quite some time, but never went to school for it. Previous job was ending, had advanced notice, went to school for 6 months, banged out my CCNA, and now I'm working as a Net Tech 2, working on an Enterprise Network. Shit's bad ass, but I do think I'm a little underpaid at 40k a year.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I'm just not autistic enough to want to do the exact same thing every single day for the rest of my life.
What are you talking about you bitch every day about your mother and terrible life.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I know a few people who have done those. The results have been mixed.

I think being a successful coder is 99% having the right personality type. I think many people see developer salaries and just do a boot camp but aren't actually wired to be everyday developers.

Vinen

God is dead
I wanted to do the VMware one but it was something like 6k which is insane.

I need to actually suck it up and do the certs. I assist with reviewing VCDX-Cloud defenses a couple of times a year. Had more than one person approach me to work on VCDX with them. I'm like uhhh I need actual certs to be able to do that right?

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I think being a successful coder is 99% having the right personality type. I think many people see developer salaries and just do a boot camp but aren't actually wired to be everyday developers.

100% this. I entered CS as a college freshman back during the dot com bubble when it was the wave of the future. Coding just wasn't in my DNA. I could do it, but I hated it. I was never one of those people who gets into a flow state while coding and can just knock things out.