What do you do?

LostCoder_sl

shitlord
I work on web development and SEO. I basically make a bunch of sites and sell them on flippa. I make like $6-8k a month depending on sales and whatnot. It's not much but you can literally live like a king with that kind of money in Asia. On a side note, the girls here are usually less shallow than western girls.

Vinen

God is dead
I work on web development and SEO. I basically make a bunch of sites and sell them on flippa. I make like $6-8k a month depending on sales and whatnot. It's not much but you can literally live like a king with that kind of money in Asia. On a side note, the girls here are usually less shallow than western girls.
You obviously must not be in Shanghai, Japan or Korea
smile.png

Which area you in?

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Where do you work?Small company (~550 employees) that created their own software that is used nationally by over 25,000 government (local and federal) institutions. We also have absolutely no competition, which is a BIG plus. Downside is that Bain Capital is a major investor of the company, but nothing bad has happened,yet...

What do you do?(Title/keywords): I manage the team that handles infrastructure

What field/industry?I.T.

Wages?I should be clearing $90k base this year.

Bonuses/SEP?$5,000 quarterly bonuses, $10k yearly bonus/retention

Benefits?
1. 100% free healthcare premium with an above-average policy.
2. Unlimited PTO (as long as you are on-schedule for projects/deadlines)
3. Doctor/Pharmacy on-site for free meds & doctor visits (including for family; doctor is certified for pediatrics)
4. Free catered food once a week
5. Open internet-usage policy (we have a NAS dedicated for torrent downloads for god sake that our CTO uses on a regular basis)
6. PCs and Cellphones for us to keep (even if you separate from company)
7. Once a week fresh produce baskets that we all receive for free
8. Free event tickets. We have a suite for U of Louisville basketball & football that is raffled for each game. We also have basic seat tickets raffled every game aswell. These are not 1 or 2 tickets, they are typically 20+ tickets.
9. $75,000 ($150,00 for Directors; I'll have this in a few years possibly) life insurance policy upon hire date.
10. Everyone has an office, from a helpdesk operator all the way up to the top. Mind you, office sizes do vary depending on position (Have 100 helpdesk operators at another building, they have small offices due to sheer number).
11. 401(k) matching, Charles Shwabb investment account (they match 2% of your dollars invested), temporary private loans to employees (interest of course, but typically less than 1%)
12. Most of all, the company has a full disclosure system in place (this may not sound like a benefit, but really is). Everything is communicated and disclosed, from insurance costs going up, notification of big layoffs (if they occur, which they haven't), cost of supplies and benefits, revenue & profits of each account, how many days senior management takes off of work, etc. Everyone does have to sign an NDA and confidentiality agreements on hire date to not disclose these outside of the company which is typical.

Ultimately, the company is outstanding. I've been offered higher paying positions at other companies, but have stayed due to reasons listed above. I enjoy the work and appreciate the company and how it treats its employees...

Going from top dog to not knowing shit in a new work environment is frustrating.
frown.png
This job above I just got this year. I am still learning all their systems and software. I went from being the "go-to" from senior management (aka: my dad and his partners I've known since very young) to being the new kid on the block.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
#5 seems like a ridiculous liability. I mean, my internet at work is open too but I'm never going to try torrenting even if just to see if it would work. But you have senior level executives encouraging it? Seems like courting disaster.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't say he is actively torrenting, but he watches movies, TV shows, or listens to music that is stored there. He must know something is up...

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Contacted today to schedule a live interview for the position I mentioned a few weeks back! I'm pretty happy. Only problem is that I'm currently on work-appointed travel and they wanted me to come in the same day that I was due to be on a plane home. Luckily it wasn't too hard to justify moving the date back one day.

There's also a writing test, oddly enough. It seems very strange for a writing test to be part of a leadership/director level job, but it should work in my favor. I'm a very strong writer (admittedly, a lot of researchers and academics are surprisingly poor at this), and my old boss is keenly aware of my style. Should be a breeze.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well shit I slice meat in a deli. lol
And as a hobby I've started taking orders for cookies and cheesecakes from friends and family. Still nothing nearly as exciting as some of you guys. Chocolate swirl cheesecake, gluten free chocolate chip (sister-in-law has celiac so she was super psyched to try these and ended up loving them), walnut pumpkin (my fav), oatmeal raisin, and plain cheesecake.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I would make sweet love to that chocolate swirl cheesecake. That thing looks phenomenal.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
My second interview is in about two hours. Notes prepped, extra copies of resume on hand, and my suit is in the car. I'm pretty stoked.

edit: Got back a few minutes ago and sent out thank you notes to everyone. I felt a lot better about this one than I did the phone interview, so I hope that doesn't jinx it. All of the questions were reasonable and I felt prepared at every step of the process. I also had plenty of time at the end to ask questions of my own and get a discussion going with the committee. Overall, I'm pretty positive.

There will be a third round of interviews, probably next week. That's when I'll need to provide a writing sample, assuming I get a call back.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Retired for health reasons, got them under control now starting my segway back into work.
Human Resources professional with a MSHRM
Was earning $75k on average after bonuses for my last company - $60k base but boku bonuses with specializing in openings as I did (Wegman's) - only had worked with one other company previously, briefly (Verizon)
Benefits were very solid, I came from a Federal employee family (Father was an O-10 IIRC with the FDA - I know he always spoke that in the unlikely event the draft was ever reinstated [and they took a 60+ year old as he was at the time, lol] he was automatically a Sgt or some such based on his payscale) and I didn't feel any "loss of benefits" between their insurance and what Wegman's provided - Verizon had been a step down in benefits however.
Just because...

Segue, not segway.
Beaucoup, not boku.

Gauss_sl

shitlord
My second interview is in about two hours. Notes prepped, extra copies of resume on hand, and my suit is in the car. I'm pretty stoked.

edit: Got back a few minutes ago and sent out thank you notes to everyone. I felt a lot better about this one than I did the phone interview, so I hope that doesn't jinx it. All of the questions were reasonable and I felt prepared at every step of the process. I also had plenty of time at the end to ask questions of my own and get a discussion going with the committee. Overall, I'm pretty positive.

There will be a third round of interviews, probably next week. That's when I'll need to provide a writing sample, assuming I get a call back.
Jesus, man, 3+ rounds of interviews? This had better be an awesome job. Otherwise, they are wasting a lot of people's time (including their own). I think for my current job there was like, one round, unless you count chatting with a rep at the career fair to be a round.

Vinen

God is dead
Jesus, man, 3+ rounds of interviews? This had better be an awesome job. Otherwise, they are wasting a lot of people's time (including their own). I think for my current job there was like, one round, unless you count chatting with a rep at the career fair to be a round.
Most high-paying tech jobs have between 2 and 3 rounds.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
They had almost 200 applicants, so I imagine it's largely a filtering process. In this case, I think the original plan was to do a phone interview followed by a live one, but the third round was added so that they didn't have to collect writing samples from everyone they interviewed. I know for certain which interviewer required it, and honestly the writing sample is to my advantage. I hope I get that call back.

I did have one person ding me for lacking experience in one specific area, but it shouldn't be a deal breaker. If it is I will be annoyed, since I was explicitly told ahead of time not to worry about that before applying.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah my current job was 2 rounds and I'm fresh out of college. I would say it's fairly common, especially the higher you go.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I interviewed at an asset management firm for an entry level analyst job and it had a phone int, round 1 was meeting with 5 different people, round two was meeting with another 5 people (4 different than the original, one was the hiring manager who was from round 1) and round 3, which I didn't make, was a formality to meet with the COO. None of the situations were in a group, just about 45 minutes with each person.

I felt like I was really running out of stuff to say by the second round. It's hard to find good questions to ask 10 different people over two meetings, especially when most of them have overlapping functions.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Mine has been the same group each time so far, adding a fourth person for the second interview. I suspect the round 3 may change a tad if I'm called back again. There hasn't been an HR person in any of them so far.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather just interview with my damn boss and have a chance to speak frankly with him instead of doing this little tap dance, but it isn't up to me.