What do you do?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Where do you work?
Japanese auto supplier here in Michigan

What do you do? (Title/keywords)
Design Engineer. I mostly interact with OEM engineers, design studies, packaging, CAD, attend meetings, timing, etc. For this company we do mostly Instrument panels, full cockpit modules that we design, build, put together in our factory down in Tennessee, and ship directly to the OEM. Before this I worked all over the automobile, anything from headlights, fascias, sheet metal, down to molded carpets and such. I have been doing it pretty much since I was 18 (39 now). Although I did not get my degree until the early 2000s

What field/industry?
Automotive engineering

Wages?
75K salary for 40 hrs/wk But when its crunch time I can put in upwards of 60+ hours/wk. Usually this is compensated with more time off during the slower periods.

Bonuses/SEP?
When company does good, I do good. usually 4%-8% wages per year.

Benefits?
Full benefits, 401K matching, 4.5 weeks off per year.

Where do you work?
- Production Company for Film and TV in Los Angeles

- Post Production Manager/Producer

What field/industry?
- Film/TV

Wages?
- Yes

Bonuses/SEP?
-Variable

Benefits?
- I bring my dog to work everyday.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
I think maybe people should include their debt too for a better perspective, lol. I actually haven't made a single dollar because I've been furiously paying off my student loans, which began at almost 200k.
It wasn't too long ago that I was a server at Chili's and my wife worked as a teller at the local Sinclair gas station up the street. We have a truck payment and mortgage to pay and a few credit cards to pay off that racked up when I was in my early 20's.
I did my school through the Air Force so I didn't have to pay a dime for it and it eventually landed me the job I have now.

5 to 7 years ago I would have never have thought I would be where I am today. I was at a dead end, bullshit job. No chance of pay raises, no advancements, nothing. Just the same shitty job day in and day out. The job actually did more damage than good and I just couldn't take it anymore. So I left, joined the AF did my schooling both Technical and additional schooling in Logistics and now I'm here. It wasn't easy mainly because I fucking suck at school but it paid off.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Senior Security Engineer, mostly scoping out deployment of vulnerability assesment and pen testing (internal/external) web app scanning/pen testing. Work for a big player in IT Security that's also a small company (200 emp). 120k+ shitload of benefits, stocks, health, dental, bonuses. I have a Bs in Informatics Engineering and a Masters in Computer Science and I'm 29.

I guess the most exciting thing about my job is being able to penetrate networks for a living legally; exploiting some service in a DMZ and then VPN pivoting inside while dropping files and stealing passwords to me has always been my passion.

businesscats_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?
-A mtrak
What do you do?
-Work in the dining car, sleeping car, coach car, train yard, commuter trains. Depends what I get called for.
What field/industry?
-Transportation
Wages?
-Guaranteed 150hr/mo but from April-November I end up working about 250-300hr/mo.
Bonuses/SEP?
-I get a raise after 2 years then I think every year after that. Non taxed tips unless I'm in the dining car where I only have to claim $20, tips range from $20-$1000/trip depending on what I'm doing.
Benefits?
-Full medical coverage, railroad retirement, able to move up in the company almost right away and to anywhere in the country, free train travel.
Worst part of job?
-Never being able to enjoy my house, spend any of the money I make, or hang out with friends.

For the folks making six figures, I'm curious how old many of you are.
I'm not quite to six figures since I've only been there a year, but I'm at 75k and 27. My OT checks are taxed as if I'm 100k+ though
frown.png

frown.png

Pollo

Silver Knight of the Realm
1. United States Army, 18 years in January, 36 years old

2. Field Artillery Targeting Technician (MOS 131A) Chief Warrant Officer 3

3. Duh, defense.

4. My base pay is $5224 (CW3 w/ 17 years) + $1656 (Basic Housing Allowance) + $239 (Basic Allowance for Substinance) = $7120 monthly gross

5. Bonus? I don't sleep very well at night and I'm getting divorced.

6. Guaranteed Retirement @ 50% base pay @ 20 years. 2.5% increase in retirement each year after 20 along with Healthcare, Dental etc etc.

Ilum_sl

shitlord
@Pollo: The divorce and the sleeping problems sound like tough stuff, good luck with that!

Where do you work?
I am currently 23 years old and studying Dutch corporate law. I hope to finish my masters in february/march so I can do some travelling before I start working as a lawyer.

I currently have a job at the law faculty library (about 20 hours a week), I basically help people with questions and add books to their account, really basic stuff but I can study while working so that's a plus!

What field/industry?
Dutch corporate law

Wages?
I currently borrow EUR 950 a month from the government (at 1.3% interest woohoo) and make about EUR 500 at the library so about EUR 1450 or USD 1900.
When I start at a (large) law firm the wages will be between EUR 33.000 and EUR 43.000 (USD 43.000 and USD 56.000), depending on which firm wants to hire me.

Bonuses/SEP?
Currently none, besides free coffee while studying at the law library and some other small perks.

Benefits?
Dutch healthcare is fairly cheap (EUR 110 a month (or USD 140) with a EUR 200 (or USD 260) deductible) but it isn't included in my pay.

Oldbased

> Than U
Where do you work?
I both own my own buisness doing remodeling and work for a restoration company for insured losses/remodel of homes.

What do you do?
Everything possible related.

What field/industry?
Construction

Wages?
Varies. This year sucked very bad due to health issues and injuries. I'll be lucky to make $25,000 this year. Last year triple that.

Bonuses/SEP?
None.

Benefits?
I make my own hours, and get to pick which jobs I want.
Always in a new place and making people happy.
Bad is no paid holidays, no health insurance, and when things go bad, it is out of my pocket.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Where do you work?
Sheltered workshop for mentally handicapped. We have around 300 clients. Some trad mongo stuff, some psycho stuff. None only bodily disabled...

What do you do?
IT admin and some finance things

What field?
goes under Healthcare here

Wages?
suck, but at least they are somewhat stable

Bonuses?
every year I work here adds to an additional retirement plan. up to almost 200?/month now ... by the time I can retire it should be an additional 400? per month.
other than that, the pay is shit. but you get to fuck off at rr.org so it's alright.

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
Where do you work?
Microsoft

Retail Management/Support

What field/industry?
Retail

Wages?
Cleared 80k this year, although that does include a little OT.

Bonuses/SEP?
Quarterly bonuses, annual review with raises, relocation

Benefits?
Full benefits at really good rates - I pay less than 30 a paycheck for incredible coverage health/dental/vision/ad&d/life/etc.

This is my 3rd stint in retail after not knowing what I wanted to be when I grew up. Was a network administrator/project manager back before Y2k - upgraded the State of AZ to Exchange to get away from MSMail which wasn't Y2k compliant. Got bored of that went back into retail, got sick of that for the second time (really came down to the company I was working for at the time I think). Became a corporate trainer for a manufacturing company, got introduced to Microsoft when they decided to open our retail stores and did all of the training for their technicians for the first 15 stores. Decided to jump ship and leave my company for Microsoft last year, and have loved it since. Don't totally love customer facing retail, but I love the company and the options for support roles are coming soon, so there's lots of growth opportunities, and I'm looking forward to them.

suzumebachi_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?
Retail Optical

Dispensing Optician / Manager

What field/industry?
Healthcare

Wages?
$14/hr (not nearly enough for the work I do and the BS I put up with)

Bonuses/SEP?
Commissions based on sales and number of goals met. Anywhere from $0 to $550/mo., though my average is usually around $150-$200. Also receive a $50 bonus for controlling payroll each month.

Benefits?
Medical, Dental, 401K, disability, but no Vision Insurance. I get 6 pair of eyeglasses a year at 80% off. Can be given to my parents, spouse and dependents. Also get one free pair a year. I've been here 7.5 years, have 17 pair, and have only ever paid for one. I also get 20 days paid time off each year.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?
software startup, SAAS product for people who want to effectively market healthcare products

What do you do?
Software development, mixture of front/middle/back end.

What field/industry?
tech

Wages?
Standard - higher than normal for startups, less than established companies like Microsoft/Google/etc

Bonuses/SEP?
No bonuses, but stock options vest every year which will ideally be worth something someday

Benefits?
medical/dental where I have no monthly payment, 3 weeks PTO, transit pass.

Fyro

Golden Squire
Where do you work?
A high school.

What do you do?
High school teacher / More

Wages?
Starting pay $32K + $1.5 K for adviser position.

Bonuses?
Lol, right..

Benefits?
Bunches. The best? Summer to work elsewhere, play, enjoy family, and do whatever.

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
Ford Motor Co
Assembly
63k up to 100k a few times in my 7yrs there so far.
3k-10k
The works when it comes to Benefits.
No debt besides mortgage
I am 27, I plan on moving up in the company in some capacity. Maybe even run for a elected union position.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I work at the local version of the QuickyMart making minimum wage. Benefits include all the free coffee and doughnuts I can eat.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Where do you work?From home.

What do you do?''Content dev/moderator'' at a big-time arts an entertainment website, which pretty much means I'm a janitor. Also I do freelance digital painting/asset design for isometric games, game press releases, and gaming websites. Right now I'm on board as to illustrate PCGamer's DOTA 2 guide ontop of other pitch projects and things here and there.

What field/industry?Arts/Gaming/Entertainment.

Wages?Based on hours it factors out to less than minimum wage. And by less, I mean a lot less.

Bonuses/SEP?None.

Benefits?None.

wantonsoup_sl

shitlord
Where do you work?

I work at our family owned feed mill

Everything from customer care, to driving truck, fork lift driving, you name it (the joys of working for family)

What field/industry?

Agricultural

Wages?

No where near enough

Bonuses/SEP?

Think it's a 5% of your wages earned for the year, we get that near new years.

Benefits?

Medical, dental, retirement, all that lovely fluff. And working for family can be a benefit at times I guess.

Filwen_sl

shitlord
What do you do? - paralegal

Where do you work? - law firm

What do you do? - basically, I do associate lawyer level work involving representing national commercial lenders that want to obtain FHA insurance on multifamily, nursing homes, cooperatives, and hospitals.

What field/industry? - FHA insured commercial mortgage banking

Bonusus - 60k base + overtime (usually about 8k) + firm & partner bonus

Benefits - the partner I work for let's me control my work load and I have very little supervision while at work, concentrated on results instead of like being on my ass about getting to work late or leaving early. Health, 401k the usual

Age - 29

Falkensyn_sl

shitlord
I'm first and foremost a student working on a MSc in (Physical) Chemistry. On the side I do promotion work for a local brewery, mostly holding lectures and longer courses in beer tasting, homebrewing, beer/food pairings, that sort of thing. The pay is pretty standard around here (~25$/hr, but crazy expensive cost of living) but the hours are flexible and I get to travel a bit when I have the time. Aside from dealing with drunk people it's a great job for a beer geek.