What feature(s) or circumstance would persuade you to install a brain implant?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about a future that involves brain implant/neuralink tech?

• Total voters

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
What feature(s) or circumstance would persuade you to install a brain implant? I'm mainly aiming for the minimum feature that you think would convince you to have one installed, with the assumption that you're leery of them in the first place. I feel like the mundane stuff doesn't get talked about much.

I'm assuming this tech will be internet connected without the ability to disable it. Consider the same when answering.

The lowest threshold I can think of where I might convince myself is if you can learn something new in four and a half seconds, ala The Matrix. If it was possible to get one without any sort of remote connection, I'd be much more amicable.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Where's the "Society will pass you by and you'll be at a distinct competitive disadvantage if you don't." option?

Imagine trying to function in today's world without a smartphone or an internet-connected computer, which are effectively crude implants.

I think implants have some exciting potential. But that excitement is tempered by the possibility of their adoption playing out similar to this pandemic and vaccines.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Realistically it will come down to main factors for the population at large

1) Price
2) Safety
3) Benefit

But even before we get there, all that rests on us understanding the brain. There is still so much we don't know about the brain, our mind, etc. I think until we fully understand it and know how to manipulate it at a technological level, they're still the realm of science fiction or niche uses.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Meme Hacking GIF

Remember to get your biochip upgraded - Jaron Namir approves.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nothing here about NFT's or cryptocurrency.

A future without a future is no future of mine.

fgs.gif

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Imagine trying to function in today's world without a smartphone
This is what will convince people - 99.99% of people - to do it.

Thats about the fraction of people that think you can't function in today's world without a smartphone. They mean this. They actually think itd be difficult to function without a smartphone.

They'll say exactly the same thing about brain implants. "Yeah I don't like how it controls all my thoughts but its so convenient, how could I get by without it? besides check out this sweet new game I can play on it"

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you're talking like Neuralink, a device that you can map thoughts to device inputs, I want one now.

If you're talking something that goes in the other direction, and pipes input INTO your brain, nope.

I don't even put non-work apps on my smartphone.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would love a chip that would allow me to thought control keyboard and mouse movements. I have great reflexive reactions. I just have a lousy transducer that translates that reflex through typing.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone even think it's possible to download data or reprogram your brain? I ain't down for that, but I can imagine adding some peripherals...Being able to smell/hear as well as a dog for example, or see infrared and ultraviolet or more colors or night vision. Being able to do tele-presence where you can actually see through a robot's eyes as if they were your own, especially if the robot was a drone that you could control with your mind etc. I'm sure I would be one to wait a few years to see if the first people getting it go insane or something, but it sounds like it could be pretty cool.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Does anyone even think it's possible to download data or reprogram your brain? I ain't down for that, but I can imagine adding some peripherals...Being able to smell/hear as well as a dog for example, or see infrared and ultraviolet or more colors or night vision. Being able to do tele-presence where you can actually see through a robot's eyes as if they were your own, especially if the robot was a drone that you could control with your mind etc. I'm sure I would be one to wait a few years to see if the first people getting it go insane or something, but it sounds like it could be pretty cool.
At some point, someone is going to figure out the brain's OS, and it will be game on after that.

I know what you are getting at, but people are already pretty easy to program. Look at how well propaganda works for evidence of that.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The foremost benefit of the push and funding of a brain to computer interface is so, when we achieve an advanced enough sentient AI, there is the possibility that it will see a use for humans, and not just kill us all. AI research is more advanced, and has more funding/incentives than brain interface tech, so it needs to catch up. There is not a lot of time left in which to do it. One of the great filters, that we can see coming, is knocking on our door.

Still, I have doubts that the technology will be advanced enough in the next 50 years to be worth the risks of installing (surgery is always a risk, on the brain, more so; additionally, antibiotic resistance is going to be a huge problem in surgery for years to come). That is, unless the AI overlord requires it...

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I don't think consciousness will ever be transferrable to a different substrate. It looks to me like a quantum phenomenon.

However memories might be doable, and that would be very useful. My ideal use case would be a during-sleep download of the day's memories in detail consolidating older stuff to summaries. Ideally you could reach into that external storage for details on any old memories you wanted to dredge up.

There would be a one time error factor with the initial copy, this being more an "observation" than a real copy, memories being quantum as well, but it beats the current way which introduces error every time you recall something from long term memory. See No-cloning theorem - Wikipedia

If life extension ever becomes a thing, the above stuff will likely be very needed.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think the ability to recall/relive past memories with near 100% accuracy would cause me to get one the next day.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like that smart phones were brought up, because I've been considering for a long time getting rid of mine. In fact, getting rid of a cell phone altogether.

I probably never will just because of convenience, but I think my decade or so in IT left me pretty negative on most technologies. I'm definitely never getting a fucking smart anything in my house. And considering I won't get one in my house, you're out of your fucking mind to think I'd get an implant.

As I've gotten older, I really just want to be left alone and maybe go on some hikes. Technology can get fucked, and so can the modern pace of life.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
I like that smart phones were brought up, because I've been considering for a long time getting rid of mine. In fact, getting rid of a cell phone altogether.
Tracfone still sells flip phones w/removable battery. I had an LG spare up until recently. Battery lasts forever and of course off is all the way off when the battery is out.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I think the concept is cool and if it worked, was known to be safe, and was affordable I'd absolutely do it.

However, I'm not optimistic about any of that coming to reality. The barriers around resolution required to do anything sophisticated, the levels of invasiveness, and the body rejecting/attacking foreign material (in your brain, ugh) seem extremely high.