What is all this "gluten-free" shit?

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What the fuck is this "kombucha" shit?

I found out about it readingthis very entertaining article about the stupidity of Whole Foodsand had to look it up.

Which led me to this little piece and a disturbing picture:http://jezebel.com/5968226/fuck-you-kombucha

Seriously, would any one drink this fucking mess? Wow.

4vzgNUn.jpg

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Looks like a the pussy on a 55 year old whore. "Kombucha". That sounds Japanese? Do fat neckbeard weaboos drink fake bacteria vagina in place of the actual pussy they're unable to pull? Someone drag Sean out of the Other Games forum and get a solid answer about this.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I <3 carbonated water and I like a splash of apple cider vinegar in my water. I guess I'm the right candidate for 55 year old vag.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
My question is this. Has there always been Gluten allergies and people back in the day just dealt with it, didn't know it existed and died from it or is it a newer type thing? Can you even die from eating gluten if it doesn't agree with you or do you just get food poisoning symptoms?

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
My question is this. Has there always been Gluten allergies and people back in the day just dealt with it, didn't know it existed and died from it or is it a newer type thing? Can you even die from eating gluten if it doesn't agree with you or do you just get food poisoning symptoms?
A quick google brought these up, which are not a ton of info.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/23317...ase/Page1.html

http://www.celiac.com/articles/23228...ase/Page1.html

I speculate that some form of gluten intolerance has been around for quite a long time and that people either were weakened by it, like the first article indicates, or simply died in more severe cases. Celiacs get horrible diarrhea from eating gluten, and I can imagine that dying of dehydration from it could be a real possibility back in the day.

My GF's family recently discovered that they carry the genes for Medium-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiency. Essentially it prevents the body from metabolizing fats into energy. Their history includes a number of infant/child deaths which they now think likely occurred from MCAD deficiency. I can imagine how celiacs disease has a similar history.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everything I've read seems to imply that actual celiac is a pretty small percentage of the population. Most of these gluten free trend mongers haven't actually been tested for it and just claim generalized health benefits like energy as a result of their diet. Most scientific articles claim that those benefits could just as easily be attributed to simply cleaning up your diet and eating less processed foods as to having any kind of gluten allergy. Celiac sounds like it has really distinct and pronounced symptoms, not just "oh I feeeeeeel so much better these days!"

Part of that whole foods comedy article:

Next I see the gluten-free section filled with crackers and bread made from various wheat-substitutes such as cardboard and sawdust. I skip this aisle because I'm not rich enough to have dietary restrictions. Ever notice that you don't meet poor people with special diet needs? A gluten intolerant house cleaner? A cab driver with Candida? Candida is what I call a rich, white person problem. You know you've really made it in this world when you get Candida. My personal theory is that Candida is something you get from too much hot yoga. All I'm saying is if I were a yeast, I would want to live in your yoga pants.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Most scientific articles claim that those benefits could just as easily be attributed to simply cleaning up your diet and eating less processed foods
What scientific evidence is there that eating processed foods is bad for you?

People use "processed" as a weasel-word just as much as "gluten-free" has become a glittering generality.

Cheese is processed food. Bread is processed food. Ground beef is processed food. And now I want a fucking cheeseburger.

khalid

Unelected Mod
What scientific evidence is there that eating processed foods is bad for you?

People use "processed" as a weasel-word just as much as "gluten-free" has become a glittering generality.
Word. Exactly what I wanted to respond with when I read Fana's post. Naturalist fallacy at its finest.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
I look at the processed foods argument like this. Let's say you eat 100 units of food each day to survive.

Eating 100 units a balanced diet of food made from scratch, as well as full of fresh fruit and vegetables, brings you in to line with what the body needs nutritionally to do its thing.

Eating 100 units of processed foods, like boxed stuff from the supermarket frozen aisle and stopping for fast food or chain restaurant stuff, could surpass certain areas of nutrition that are bad for you. Some checking of random nutrition information labels will show that high amounts of salt and fat are found in a lot of those items.

I'd rather eat the 100 units of food from scratch personally.

The key to staying healthy though, activity and exercise. Being sedentary is imo, the biggest killer out there.

Baek

Golden Knight of the Realm
On the flip side there is increasing evidence that we, as a species, have fucked ourselves up through the use of antibiotics and the wholesale destruction of intestinal flora in the form of the literally thousands of bacteria species that we had residing inside us that we inherited from our mom
yep.
-overuse of antibiotics
-FDA riding big pharmas coattails squashing any evidence of natural cures or evidence that allopathic meds are bad mmkay
-mandatory vaccinations (up to like 30 injections for 12 different viruses before 24months old. also HepB given within 12hours of life)
-sugar drinks, even "healthy" alternatives like Naked juice (made by Pepsi)
-Vaccinations ramped up heavily in the 1950s and 60s. In the early 1900s, autism was like 1/100,000. Today it is about 1/113 in the US.
-gut flora comprises 90% of our first immune defense, when you kill it, you become allergic to yourself and everything else.
-By 2030, 40%+ of the US will be obese. not overweight, obese.

tldr- vaccinations + antibiotics + shitty lifestyle = autistic, obese, hypoallergenic, depressed world

*drop mic peaceout*

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Everything I've read seems to imply that actual celiac is a pretty small percentage of the population. Most of these gluten free trend mongers haven't actually been tested for it and just claim generalized health benefits like energy as a result of their diet. Most scientific articles claim that those benefits could just as easily be attributed to simply cleaning up your diet and eating less processed foods as to having any kind of gluten allergy. Celiac sounds like it has really distinct and pronounced symptoms, not just "oh I feeeeeeel so much better these days!"

Part of that whole foods comedy article:
My sister in law has self diagnosed herself with celiac's and her son "practically has it" as well.......

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I look at the processed foods argument like this. Let's say you eat 100 units of food each day to survive.

Eating 100 units a balanced diet of food made from scratch, as well as full of fresh fruit and vegetables, brings you in to line with what the body needs nutritionally to do its thing.

Eating 100 units of processed foods, like boxed stuff from the supermarket frozen aisle and stopping for fast food or chain restaurant stuff, could surpass certain areas of nutrition that are bad for you. Some checking of random nutrition information labels will show that high amounts of salt and fat are found in a lot of those items.

I'd rather eat the 100 units of food from scratch personally.

The key to staying healthy though, activity and exercise. Being sedentary is imo, the biggest killer out there.
Staying healthy has a lot more to do with how you eat than how much you exercise. Also, fat isn't bad for you.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
yep.
-overuse of antibiotics
-FDA riding big pharmas coattails squashing any evidence of natural cures or evidence that allopathic meds are bad mmkay
-mandatory vaccinations (up to like 30 injections for 12 different viruses before 24months old. also HepB given within 12hours of life)
-sugar drinks, even "healthy" alternatives like Naked juice (made by Pepsi)
-Vaccinations ramped up heavily in the 1950s and 60s. In the early 1900s, autism was like 1/100,000. Today it is about 1/113 in the US.
-gut flora comprises 90% of our first immune defense, when you kill it, you become allergic to yourself and everything else.
-By 2030, 40%+ of the US will be obese. not overweight, obese.

tldr- vaccinations + antibiotics + shitty lifestyle = autistic, obese, hypoallergenic, depressed world

*drop mic peaceout*
You forgot how the government is putting fluoride in the water as a mind control device.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
allopathic
Naturopathic fuckstick detected!

Confirmed.