What is all this "gluten-free" shit?

khalid

Unelected Mod
"Originally thought to be a rare childhood syndrome, celiac disease is now known to be a common genetic disorder. More than 2 million people in the United States have the disease, or about 1 in 133 people."

That doesn't seem that common to me, if less than 1% have it.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's also why the "Don't feed your dog table scraps" myth is so pervasive too
You shouldn't feed your dog table scraps because it will get fucking obese and also beg all the damn time when you are trying to cook or eat.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Exactly, it teaches them terrible fucking habits. Nothing pisses me off more than people with dogs with terribly trained dogs.

Cybsled

Begging dogs are fine if they are quiet and just sit there. The type of begging that is annoying is when they jump up or whine or whatever.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the sit-and-stare begging is annoying too. Plus they tend to be underfoot constantly when they do that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Listen, if youre dog pays any bit more attention to you when you(or your guests) have food than they otherwise normally would if you didnt have food youve trained a bag dog. Too many god damn mouth breathing morons in this world that has done a piss poor job of properly training their animals.

Cybsled

If you have a baby or toddler eating in a highseat, dogs that hover are your best friend. Fuck having to clean up all that spilled food, dogs are like bio-Roombas ;P

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
You shouldn't feed your dog table scraps because it will get fucking obese and also beg all the damn time when you are trying to cook or eat.
Dogs get obese when calories in > calories out. No other mechanism.

My dog hangs out in the kitchen when I've gotta butcher chicken for dinner because she gets the fat and/or bones. She sits in the corner quietly and doesn't make a sound. I don't consider that to be begging, or poor manners, or terribly trained. To each his own, however.

Except for Phoenix, who incites hilarity with his outrage over mouth breathing morons.

If you have a baby or toddler eating in a highseat, dogs that hover are your best friend. Fuck having to clean up all that spilled food, dogs are like bio-Roombas ;P
Thought the same, until the baby started thinking it was hilarious to feed the dog her lunch.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have never seen a dog that wouldn't stare at you if you had food in your hands. I don't really see how this is a problem. If you don't like it, tell them to go lay down. If the dog is really as well trained as you claim he is then that should work.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Listen, if youre dog pays any bit more attention to you when you(or your guests) have food than they otherwise normally would if you didnt have food youve trained a bag dog. Too many god damn mouth breathing morons in this world that has done a piss poor job of properly training their animals.
Things that rustle my jimmies: People that think a dog is only trained if it doesn't do the things that annoy their pet peeves. A dog who sits quietly and stares at people eating isn't a problem at all. In fact, if I had someone complain about it at my house I would tell them that the door isn't locked in case they want to leave.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How does one train a dog to not want food? Generally you train dogs with food. Do you give them food for not wanting food? Seems like the only thing that'd work is doing that clicker training or whatever, and fuck that.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not training it not to want food, its avoiding training it to expect people food when the people are eating. And cutlery, calories out is fine if you actually run your dog, too many people that feed table scraps are the same kind whose dog barely moves.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
It's not training it not to want food, its avoiding training it to expect people food when the people are eating. And cutlery, calories out is fine if you actually run your dog, too many people that feed table scraps are the same kind whose dog barely moves.
Nah.

Works fine no matter what level of activity your dog is at. Mine put on 15lbs this winter from eating the same 2lbs a day she did in the summer, only I'm not walking her when it's 5 degrees outside. Also I'm guessing all the carbs from random baby cookies and shit didn't help either. Granted, an 85lb German Shepherd and a 70lb German Shepherd aren't really all that dissimilar.

Cut her down to 1.5lbs a couple weeks ago and she's slimmed down quite a bit already, with no other change to anything. It really is that simple. If your dog is fat, feed it less.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So I guess this turned into the thread for superior people to bitch about the how others live their lives in ways that don't affect them.