What is your education level?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What was your dissertation in? Oh, you didn't have one?

Masters.

(I'm just taking the piss here for those who don't know).

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
What was your dissertation in? Oh, you didn't have one?

Masters.

(I'm just taking the piss here for those who don't know).
You certainly are that.
smile.png

By your definition, almost all people entitled to use the title "Dr" are not holders of doctorates. Your definition is bad. :p

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
B.S. in Science, Technology, and Culture. Basically an applied history of technology program. M.S. in Digital Media, which I turned into a career in disability + higher ed. research for NSF and so forth. I also have a handful of certifications in things like work accommodation and UX.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
B.A. in accounting and a CPA license. CPA is far more valuable for employment than the degree, but was required to have the degree to get the CPA license.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Another aspect for the database(tm). Good one
SELECT Loser from database? where education >= bachelor AND religious = false AND postcount > 1000 AND job = true AND political = liberal AND sexpref = pervert AND mmogamer = false AND amerifag = false AND canbuyequestrianstatue = false AND homeowner = false
Loser Izo

Should we just merge all the 'what do you do, what did you buy, what do you earn, do you believe in invisible men in the sky, what's your education level' bs into one thread?

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Dropped out of college, twice. The first time was because I was wasting money trying to figure out what I wanted to do and the second because it seemed like the wrong way to approach my IT career. Currently being groomed as IT manager for a billion dollar law firm but was told I'll probably have to go back and finish a 4 year if I want a director gig in 5 years.
They really want you to have a four year degree? Spending four years to get it when it would probably do nothing to make you better at your position and either be a distraction or even worse leave you little time to keep up on whats actually important. The policy just seems so short sighted and almost counter intuitive to their goals.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
They really want you to have a four year degree? Spending four years to get it when it would probably do nothing to make you better at your position and either be a distraction or even worse leave you little time to keep up on whats actually important. The policy just seems so short sighted and almost counter intuitive to their goals.
That is corporate culture though. My company hires all kinds of retards with degree's and no practical experience because degree's are "required". No surprise we have a revolving door on management.

I am also some college and would like to go back and finish something when I no longer live like a gypsy for work.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
They use a lot of vague terminology when mentioning it. I agree, it doesn't make any sense and quite honestly am trying to just avoid it because who has time for that shit at this point, it's totally useless. A 4 year in comp sci to answer emails and sit in meeting after meeting? To be honest, I feel a lot like Mike Milligan here.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Medical degrees and doctoral degrees really are different animals. The dissertation is something different. However, call yourself whatever as far as I'm concerned. Unless you are a chiropractor, then go fuck yourself if you call yourself a doctor.

I took the postdoc part of the question as someone that had a postdoc position studying under other PhDs, not all-encompassing as anyone with a PhD doing research.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
BS in Computer Engineering, some masters coursework.

Probably go for a masters when the kid is a few years older. I don't think it will do much for my career at this point.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Curious why no BoX for trade related/red seal level of certification? I have my bachelors but also have my Red Seal in Culinary as im a chef by trade, im sure lots of certified electricians etc here as well. Which puts in on par with a bachelors.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Associate's in Fine Arts. Have been ready to transfer for two years but no school with a decent film program will take me. I've been offered a contract at a prestigious studio though, so if that goes well I may not need to go back to school.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They use a lot of vague terminology when mentioning it. I agree, it doesn't make any sense and quite honestly am trying to just avoid it because who has time for that shit at this point, it's totally useless. A 4 year in comp sci to answer emails and sit in meeting after meeting? To be honest, I feel a lot like Mike Milligan here.
I hope the company's worth it. I'd probably take a few shots at explaining why it's counter intuitive and if it didn't work out I'd just look for the promotion position at another company. I debated going back and doing a comp sci degree, but I'm 8+ years into actual work experience building real things and other than the math (which I wouldn't use in my current career, or for the foreseeable future) there is nothing really there they could teach me. To me it's something that holds little value and I'd be wary of any company that used it as a metric to judge me, especially considering my work history and the volume of shipped products I've worked on.