What is your education level?

Molten Core Raider
Echoing another post here concerning trades, it amuses me some that here in the US if you dont give a huge chunk of your money to a higher education system you are looked down on. I have a few friends with several degrees making less money than most welders, and when I ask them why they don't learn a trade they scowl and reply with some disdain for blue collar work. Everyone wants to be managment now even if it means they are stuck at the apple store until a fortune 500 company realizes their value.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
anonymous polls are shit.

Cad is a lawyer, isn't he? I thought all lawyers held doctorates (in jurisprudence?), it's just that no lawyer who isn't a clown would call himself Dr. That's probably why he said "technically".

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
There are still people with less than a bachelors degree?

edit oh, it must be age, right? Hadnt thought about that.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
anonymous polls are shit.

Cad is a lawyer, isn't he? I thought all lawyers held doctorates (in jurisprudence?), it's just that no lawyer who isn't a clown would call himself Dr. That's probably why he said "technically".
Yea, technically we are entitled to use the Dr title but nobody does, because it would be foolish. I mean my degree says doctor right on it. Don't know how it's not a doctorate. It's just a professional doctorate rather than a research based one.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm

My buddy works in sanitation, with zero schooling beyond high school, and makes more than most people on this board. There ARE other routes in life.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
My buddy works in sanitation, with zero schooling beyond high school, and makes more than most people on this board. There ARE other routes in life.
Yea I know a guy who works in waste management too.

rrr_img_120156.jpg

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
BSc Microbiology and then 3 years of military training in electronic and telecoms for the tech qual, which by now is worth about half the credits for a BSc in electrical engineering. Plus a bunch of other certs and quals, I'm pretty much on some sort of course like twice a year.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I tink everyone should have listed if their education had any relation to their current job.
computer science, robotics. The other thread in the GUF I think called "what do you do" probably has more of that info.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I know in my trade/industry you can make considerably more than the average 4 year degree holder.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I make more than most of my friends with bachelors, and my own degree is collecting dust because my career is unrelated.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
BS in Aeronautical Engineering, never once worked in anything even vaguely related to the field. Much to my, and my parent's, disappointment.

I like to blame the fact that I graduated right after the Berlin Wall fell and aeronautical engineers were unemployed in droves (all true), but let's be honest here and admit that it was mainly because I'm a lazy fuck.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yea, technically we are entitled to use the Dr title but nobody does, because it would be foolish. I mean my degree says doctor right on it. Don't know how it's not a doctorate. It's just a professional doctorate rather than a research based one.
I thought lawyers can't use "doctor", only "esquire".

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

Almost everyone who works in my field has a high school diploma.

All the designers
All the project managers
All the project coordinators
All the detailers (who make shop drawings and average between $60k and $100k)
All the QC and code enforcement people

I know 3 people in my field who make "good" money who have a degree. Two engineers (father and son who own a business) and a VP of operations who has a business degree and spent 10 years working with the shop and field before he moved into his current line of work.

I'm not sure it happens everywhere but I run into a lot of people who went right into a business degree who thought they would magically get hired to run a business 6 months out of school and had no background or hands on experience with said business.

Having said that I have a degree, most people I work with don't know it. I never put it on my resume.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I thought lawyers can't use "doctor", only "esquire".
Its not customary to use the Dr. title for lawyers. Many of us would call such lawyers d-bags. But in fact we hold a professional doctorate just like MD's, DO's, DC's, PharmD's, DDS's, OD's... all of whom do customarily go by "Dr." None of them write dissertations either.

But no, I don't go by Dr. and I don't go by Esquire either. Just my name, good enough.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The only people I have known with a PhD that used Dr. in reference to themself were professors.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
So I am turning in my final paper in AIT 697 tonight (MS class that doubles for MS/BS credit in the program I am in, managing through change leadership) and I am done. So I'm skipping the 6 month waiting period and just marking down BS for thefirst time ever. Feels good man.This time next year I'll have my MS. Then just a lot of debt.

Other than that all I have is a GED.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Its not customary to use the Dr. title for lawyers. Many of us would call such lawyers d-bags. But in fact we hold a professional doctorate just like MD's, DO's, DC's, PharmD's, DDS's, OD's... all of whom do customarily go by "Dr." None of them write dissertations either.

But no, I don't go by Dr. and I don't go by Esquire either. Just my name, good enough.
Whenever I see "esquire" on a lawyer's business card or signature my first thought is "Ghost Bar bottle service douche"