What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

othree

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Did anyone ever find the quest associated with the GBS?
I don't believe so.

Also you guys are going to hate me...but from 1999 to 2004, Pyzjin dropped five GBS's for me. Out of probably just over a dozen kills, all from me just randomly being in Qeynos Hills and seeing Pyzjin up - never once camped it specifically. On the flip side, when Velious launched my guild killed Derakor fourteen straight times without ever seeing a BP drop until kill #15.

If you were not a warrior, cleric, or chanter, they didn't give a shit about you and you were easily replaced.
my guild was always seemingly waiting for our shamans to log in. not killing shit without slow in Velious... except of course non-slowable mobs.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Did anyone ever get screwed out of rare loot? I got kicked out of a lower guk group for jokingly saying female dwarves were ugly and a few seconds later the FBSS dropped. That was the only time I saw it drop and I nearly broke my computer out of rage.
The first time my guild ever killed Emperor Ssraeshza, a guy in my group asked me to translocate them to the zone in or something (I don't remember exactly) For some reason, I memorized abscond instead of translocate, and absconded myself to the zone in. The robe ended up dropping, and I was rewarded it. But I couldn't get back up to the emperor's room. I tried everything, but died 2 over and over trying to get close. Fucking see-invis snakes.

Anyway, they had to give it to someone else. I was so angry. I tried to ask a GM to port me up there and I was calling in every favor I could possibly think of. No dice, you lose.

I was so pissed at that. Probably more so because it was my own fucking fault. From that point on, I refused to help anyone else do anything while waiting for loot (that I wanted) to be awarded.

No mages I take it? I recall getting summons up there before.
Only place you can CoH to is the ante-room before the Emp room zone-in bubble. Likely their mage joined the fight if they were confident they wouldn't lose.

How many of you participated in the Vulak ring before Luclin released?

I am sad to say, I never did.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
EQ1 was great because it had no cross server, no instances, no care bear stares, and tons of server drama.

You could train bitches, train entire fuckin raids, grief, compete for spawns, and have guild wars if you wanted.

So what games still do this? Have corpse runs, real death penalties, and let you institute your own server rotation for guilds using contested zones?...

None

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Yeah, you couldn't CoH into Emp's room. It was off limits.

As for the Vulak ring, we tried it once and only once This was back when it was broken, and we got stopped at the massive Flurry Drake spawn. It was a shame, but the guild was pretty much done with Vulak when the ring was unveiled. I had been rewarded with Solist's Earring of Insight. That robe was pretty sweet, but the earring what all I was able to get from him before the guild moved on.

http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1057705

I'm not even wearing it in my old old Magelo profile... but at least I'm still wearing Tunare's clearly Wizard only belt (that casts thorns), with my Gauntlets of Dragon Slaying & Primal Velium Brawl Stick sitting in the 2nd bag.

Good times. I still remember the names of the stupid loot that I loved and (up until PoP), where EVERYTHING I was wearing dropped. PoP changed a lot of that for me. Maybe because I left the game around half way through PoP, only to return near the end.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You're not kidding. I recently went through some of my old paypal statements and saw that I sold just shy of a million plat on playerauctions for a whopping $35 per 10k.
That was good money when I was a broke ass high school kid.

You're not kidding. I recently went through some of my old paypal statements and saw that I sold just shy of a million plat on playerauctions for a whopping $35 per 10k.
That was good money when I was a broke ass high school kid.
thats better than a minimum wage part time job for damn sure.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I was making around $10 an hour part time back then also as a line guy for a retirement community. Line guy means I was in a line of 2-3 others putting food on burning hot plates before the servers carried everything out to the residents. Those plates were so fucking hot... The best part of that job was the free dinner every night I worked.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
...How many of you participated in the Vulak ring before Luclin released?

I am sad to say, I never did.
My guild did it once and then never again after. Half of the stupid ring event was sitting around with your thumb up your ass waiting for the next wave to spawn. I still have a couple of screenshots with the bored mages carpeting the floor with mod rods. LOL.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
100k plat was $450 or more in the early days of EQ1 - it was serious bisnas b/c farming lodizal daily would easily get you that amount every other day or so.

Also i did Vulak - it was awesome, I miss Sontalak and all that shit.

Sterling

El Presidente
Only ever sold plat. Could never bring myself to sell off my characters. From Velious through mid Omens when WoW officially released I'd sold probably 15 or 20 million plat. Was actually a decent amount of money.

Jeez.. 15 million plat. I mained a rogue, always was raiding so i'd say at any given point i had minimum 250k max 500k.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Only ever sold plat. Could never bring myself to sell off my characters. From Velious through mid Omens when WoW officially released I'd sold probably 15 or 20 million plat. Was actually a decent amount of money.
Depends when you sold, thats easily passed the $15k mark. Hell if you sold in the prime years thats closer to like 60k.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Where did you get that kind of plat? Did you exploit? Find some sort of copy bug? I played all the time, always was doing buy low-sell high on the auction house, and still maybe had 500,000pp at the most at any given time.