What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

Where did you get that kind of plat? Did you exploit? Find some sort of copy bug? I played all the time, always was doing buy low-sell high on the auction house, and still maybe had 500,000pp at the most at any given time.
the shamans doing WW solo & the no-lifer no-guilder Necros were rolling in it. 15 mill though.. holy shit.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Where did you get that kind of plat? Did you exploit? Find some sort of copy bug? I played all the time, always was doing buy low-sell high on the auction house, and still maybe had 500,000pp at the most at any given time.
I played a full group ala EQW for a long time. Taking down Lodizal daily, Acidic Mass, Dozekar when up - was alot you could do with 1 group to make money. Zlandicar etc .

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My 1 million was gained pretty much entirely by farming the roaming dragons of Kunark, once Luclin came out. I had maybe 30-40k to my name prior to that, because I was never in the mood to farm items that I had no use for.

So instead, when Manaburn came out, I got together with a few wizard friends and we created BDS (Burn Down Squad). We would randomly check Dreadlands and such for the dragons we needed. Then we would swoop in and kill them damn quick. Sell everything that dropped. We made around 8-9 million plat total divided by whomever was present for the kill.

It was good times.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, lowish 5 figures sounds about right. Had a little crew we had Ring of Slime, Velk, Trak, AoW etc more or less on lockdown for quite some time on Xev heh.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not unheard of at all, no. When I quit in GoD I sold off 2.7 mil plat and I was a raider. I still had a Sceptre of Destruction, pre-nerf Circlet of Shadows, Holgresh Beads, and Fungi Staff too so could have had significantly more if I decided to liquidate my dropables.

I too could never bring myself to sell my account though.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Sold my Warrior in the middle of PoP and always wished there was a way to get him back. I look back and hate myself for it. Not that he was stupid uber or anything, but just because of the stupid attachment I had for the character.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
I cashed out my account for $1,700 during PoP. Sold it overnight. Guy saw my account on playerauctions, begged me to cancel the auction, create a new one that had a $1,700 buyout. I was 16 at the time and didn't realize I was getting low-balled. $1,700 was a great down payment on the car I was wanting to buy. I'll always wonder what I could have gotten out of it if I had let the 5 day auction play out.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
right, but did you remotely come close to 15 mill?
hmm 15mill? nah i had maybe 5-7mill but 15mill is very possible considering the time frame. I quit in PoP and didnt farm into Velious so if he played longer and started earlier it makes sense.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On Veeshan and I don't think it would have ever been possible to lock down the type of targets you guys are talking about. Individuals owning spawns? lol, not when you have FOH running the show. Even after they were done farming shit for 50 mains and another 50 alts, the 4 other guilds nipping at their heels were so hungry for table scraps that one guy or his group of friends could never lock shit down. Not when it was still relevant or worthwhile to sell.

y'all keep telling loot stories... boner is softening.

This one time.. at a Ssra raid, i looted a Khalshazar and a Bloodbath within an hour of each other. It was luclin, but was probably the best thing to happen to me in an MMO. Earlyish luclin.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Back in 99' I was living at a friends house. He kicked me out on new years eve. Was able to crash at a friends parents house for a week as I looked for a more permanent place to stay. Had the smart idea to try to make some quick cash on EQ. He let me use his computer to play one night and I got into a pickup/multi guild nagafen raid on an unguilded alt I had.

Jumped on the corpse the second it died and ninjaed 3 cloak of flames quick as a bunny. The raid leader was a second too late and announced to the group that only 1 bard drum dropped.

Slapped all 3 cloaks up on ebay for $1500 each and they sold within hours.

2 days later I was able to pay off 6 months rent for a new apartment.

Nobody ever knew I ninjaed those cloaks either. Thanks EverQuest!

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Early on Vulak we had some Euro Mage ninja loot an FBSS, I think it was the third one to drop on the server. He was in Dead Halfling Society at the time and got kicked out for it. Then he joined Runed Circle where he would go on to ninja loot Lady Vox on one of the early EoE kills. I wish I could remember his name... I think it started with an M.
I just remembered his name randomly. Pretty sure it was Masojj.

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think I've heard of 3 cloaks happening ever. Usually saw one like every 3-4 kills; definitely all GPKs and tash orbs and shit. Even the naggy teeth were pretty rare.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I remember when I killed Vox when I was 52 on my Paladin i ended winning the RBB she dropped. Little did they know I even do a single point of damage to her, fell into the pit on the way to engaging her lol.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Pick up raids early on were total shit and you needed a supercomputer to figure out their very complex loot rules which basically boiled down to you weren't getting anything. Was in the zone camping other stuff multiple times when a raid was going on for Vox/Naggy and boy the drama killed any desire to do an open raid on anything.

I do remember early on having to do buff lines and you had to camp out and go to a chat room because buffs didn't last long and it took forever for buffers to get the mana to buff everyone. Buff up, log out and everyone log in and at once and rush the mob.

I never had any plat. Anything I got I looted pretty much. I did buy a woodmans staff for like 10k in Kunark just to try out 2hb on my ranger. Two dropped on our next run thru city of mist for epic pieces so I quit buying crap.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oh jesus lol. I remember that shit, buffing then camping out. Getting everyone cycled through and making sure everyone had their buffs was a major pita, took 2-3 hours sometimes. Worst loot handling I ever saw was when some tards did the ring war in Great Divide. Fuckers made sloths look like roadrunners when it came to handing it out, it took them 3 hours to hand out the 4 items you get.

Shit just took forever back then. I remember 2-3 hour raids to the top of fucking CoM or 4+ hours to get to Yael in The Hole. Flash forward to Vulak and I plowed through those zones and Seb/Chardok with 5 people np. Really made me wonder just how fucking retarded/backwards/inept people where back in classic.