Poll What Size of Community Do You Live In?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

What size of community do you live in?

• Rural pop. 1-1,000

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Small Town pop. 1,001-10,000

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • Town pop. 10,001-25,000

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Small City pop. 25,001-150,000

Votes: 47 24.5%
  • City pop. 150,001-500,000

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • Large City pop 500,001-1,000,000

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Urban Metropolitan Hellscape 1,000,001+

Votes: 35 18.2%

• Total voters

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You should really have an option for a smaller city that is a suburb of a major metropolitan area. Living in Pleasanton, CA (pop 70K) on the outskirts of the SF bay area is pretty different from living in Great Falls, MT (pop 60k) with nothing bigger within 100 miles of it, or would you consider Pleasanton part of the urban metropolitan hellscape?

Pleasanton is an hour drive to San Fran proper. I would absolutely not call that part of the urban metropolitan hellscape.

I realize there’s some outlier cases I neglected to list as poll options. In the name of brevity I could not list all the cases possible.

If your actual political boundary doesn’t quite make sense, like in the case of AngryGerbil AngryGerbil , then I suggest drawing a circle with a two mile radius around your home and that’s your answer.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Google says 177k people where I'm at. Which is about 150k too many. Worse, really, as I'm in Caly. Would love to move out of state, but until my ex gets hit with a bus, not going to happen for a long time. Which sucks. I'd really like to buy a home, but I just can't bring myself to do it again in Caly. Not not right anyway.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Pleasanton is an hour drive to San Fran proper. I would absolutely not call that part of the urban metropolitan hellscape.

That drive goes through either Oakland or San Jose though. It's not like it's out in the country.

blizzak

<Silver Donator>
I live in a town of close to 200k. The wife and i bought a farm tbis year in an earea where noone can see or hear a neighbour. the farmers are super friendly and helpful but also mind their own business. I am going to love living there.I hate cities. Spent my wbole adult life grying to get out. I want someone to find my corpse face down in the dirt not the pavement.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Apparently I did it backwards. A lot of younger people move to the cities and eventually move out to suburb and maybe rural areas. I moved to the very very rural. When if I heard a car while outside I knew they were coming to see me. Then to a suburb for a short period and then right outside the city limits of one of the top 10 in populaition cities in the US. Now I'm starting all over lol. I just avoid people. Even when living next to a large metro area there weren't many people out and about, and especially out and about coming to me.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I live in the home town of the engineer in Team Fortress 2.

• 1Jonesing

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I lived in Houston, Spring, and Kingwood, and yet I would consider all of them a part of Houston and, as such, the 1+ mil hellscape. I lived in Round Rock and Cedar Park, and yet, I would consider both part of Austin, and thus, the 1+ mil hellscape. I now live in the burbs of DFW, so, I marked it as 1+ mil hellscape.

P.S. No one has 1 mil people, or even 500k living within 2 miles of their house.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have 6 people living in a 2 mile radius but 4 of them are related to me.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
This is my daughter yesterday on our evening walk to go see "her" tractor in the field at the end of our driveway.
Screenshot_20191202-195946_Gallery.jpg

This is my daughter, in her badass carhart jacket, and my sister, in her favorite trailer park hillbilly attire, watching me help my crusty old neighbor split firewood last friday.
Screenshot_20191202-200122_Gallery.jpg

This is where we live - about 5 minutes away from a town of 6k, 15 minutes away from a town of 30k, and an hour away from a "metro area" of ~120k.
Screenshot_20191202-201139_Maps.jpg

This is Lake View Terrace, where I moved when the girl I was dating when I lived in Hawaii told me "It's not really L.A. though, it's rural and everyone has horses!".
Horseshit.
Screenshot_20191202-200652_Maps.jpg

Suburbs don't count. If you're close enough for a daily commute to the city, you're a Citiot.

• 2Mic Drop
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Gruden

<Bronze Donator>
Small city, 60k or so, about 15 miles north of Detroit. No desire to go smaller, or bigger. Smallish home by today's standards, but a decent backyard, and a few mins walk from a lakefront park is nice. Easy enough to get in and out of Detroit for any events or whatever.

Have always lived in the metro Detroit area, so no other experience, but Michigan seems pretty well balanced to me. Outdoors/sports/city type stuff to do.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
<90,000 city in the corridor, RI/MA border. Some of the highest crime rates and unemployment in the state. Want to move out into the sticks but so does everyone else- property values are sky fucking high due to being sandwiched between two metro areas and being so close to the suburban/beach/tourist communities.

>1,000,000 in San Juan metro.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
<90,000 city in the corridor, RI/MA border. Some of the highest crime rates and unemployment in the state. Want to move out into the sticks but so does everyone else- property values are sky fucking high due to being sandwiched between two metro areas and being so close to the suburban/beach/tourist communities.

>1,000,000 in San Juan metro.
I like looking at places I never knew existed on google maps, so was poking around the border there.

I knew I was going to find at least a chuckle when I saw this place, but I wasn't expecting the one I got. This must be where the end of the rainbow always hides.
Screenshot_20191202-204429_Maps.jpg

Screenshot_20191202-204522_Maps.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Real talk? Seems like everyone's kids around here are fucking autistic. Not because how they behave, mind you-- I've gotten used to screechy nonverbal 4-5 year olds. But it feels like almost every time someone drags their kid into our work the first thing out of their mouth is 'Aiden/Jaeden/Potato is autistic' -- I know it's a lot more often than a 3% or whatever the fuck occurence rate is supposed to be now. Everyone's got one in the family now and it's become a weird badge of honor that people put as rainbow puzzle piece stickers in the back of the van window.

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
DFW.

There is some term the census uses, to AngryGerbil AngryGerbil s point. Metro statistical area or some shit. Can't remember

Real talk? Seems like everyone's kids around here are fucking autistic. Not because how they behave, mind you-- I've gotten used to screechy nonverbal 4-5 year olds. But it feels like almost every time someone drags their kid into our work the first thing out of their mouth is 'Aiden/Jaeden/Potato is autistic' -- I know it's a lot more often than a 3% or whatever the fuck occurence rate is supposed to be now. Everyone's got one in the family now and it's become a weird badge of honor that people put as rainbow puzzle piece stickers in the back of the van window.

Yeah, what used to be strange/weird is now autistic / Asperger's etc

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I think he's implying that the libs are weaponizing toad sweat to turn little babies into little taters or something.

I believe it.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
IMO a town with population 600 (where I live) is a pretty different category than 10k, needs a <1k option!

The 2 mile radius rule is funny in my case... I dunno, probably well under 100.

• 1Like
My family is from an alpine rainforest region of northern Peru. I currently live in Cleveland but do not consider that as my spirit home.

• 1Committed

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Our village is slowly creeping up to a population of 100. We might make it next year.

Next "town" of about 8k people is 10 minutes drive away, 30k people 20 minutes drive, 100k++ 30 minutes.

I like it where I am, no reason to leave. I know everyone. Everyone knows me. Everyone leaves everyone the fuck alone and minds their own business.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist

Pleasanton should definitely be considered a part of the Bay Area urban hellscape. I live in downtown SF and can be in Pleasanton in less than an hour because the train system goes there. I work with 2-4 people who live there and commute to SF a couple times a week. The Bay Area hellscape definitely has a huge influence on that area. And wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for that.

I voted the 1mil+ option although I think SF is more around 900k. It feels like it's over a million people, though. City is the right size for me. I really enjoy big city life.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I live in LA. I can probably see more people right now than the combine city size of everyone else who has posted so far.

Last edited:
  • 1Like