What vehicle do you drive?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Nice!

FYI - It's called a Rogue because nobody notices you in it.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Got in a random Hyundai Sonata sport edition loaner while my car is in the shop. Sort of expected something similar to a loaded TSX Acura. Since the Sonata has a tiptronic shifter option and a sport driving setting.

WELLLLLPP It ain't no TSX. Anyone who has driven a fully loaded TSX knows those things SHRED with a sick powerband. That was the car that made me double-take on 4 cyclinders with big cams and DOHC/VTEC whatever. That thing fucking SCREAMED with power. The tech in the TSX Acura is just that superior.

What made me cry, the Sonata is the SAME MONEY! That hurts my soul that people could be buying Sonatas when they should be buying fully loaded Acura TSX's.

My friend was looking at Honda Accords. I was like NO BRO, find a low miles loaded 2014 TSX if you can. Fun as fuck. I have no idea how you get a V8 driving experience in a I-4 but the loaded TSX accomplished that. My friend didn't believe me, he was like man a 4 banger? Fuck that, I ain't gettin no groceries. He had only driven big flagship sports cars (prior to major car accidents cleaning his wallet out). Sounded exactly like me before I had the experience myself.

Guess what, he went to the dealer, got in a test drive a few months later. Came back to me "Yo....that I-4....damn, what the fuck is that". This kid was the skeptic of skeptics too, so when he spoke on it, I knew I wasn't tripping balls.

Last edited:

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I own a Sonata, and they're way cheaper and easier to fix/get fixed than Acuras. I don't know why, I just know it's true.

I've had a Sonata for six years. Approaching 175K miles on it. Haven't had to do anything except regular maintenance. It's a manual transmission, so my kids all learned to drive it, and it gets something like 45 mpg on the highway. It's been an amazing little car for me.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
20170927_042458.jpg

2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT w Sensing. The sensing is the coolest shit ever. Automatically keeps distance and speed when running cruise control. Also has pretty mean pickup when you turn off the Eco mode and shift into S (revs higher, before the variable transmission adjusts). Gets 35-40+ mpg easily. And the back seat is surprisingly spacious. It's like they wrapped the Civic body around an Accord. Still has the classic, big as fuck trunk.

Honda is also running a 0.9% 60mo, or 1.9% 72mo financing until the end of this month.

Would have gotten an Si if they had it in black, and also didn't want to dick with a manual transmission with a kid on the way. Though I've been driving stick for the last 8 years. Previous vehicle was a 96 Civic that I still have, with 200k on, and the AC still runs beast with a replaced high valve. Also didn't want to mess with turbo maintenance, given this is Honda's first real foray into the tech from a consumer perspective, and their NA motors are bullet proof. We'll see how the CVT plays out. I imagine the belt in the transmission will need replacement after 100,000mi, but will likely trade in around 80k.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yeah, I own a Sonata, and they're way cheaper and easier to fix/get fixed than Acuras. I don't know why, I just know it's true.

I've had a Sonata for six years. Approaching 175K miles on it. Haven't had to do anything except regular maintenance. It's a manual transmission, so my kids all learned to drive it, and it gets something like 45 mpg on the highway. It's been an amazing little car for me.

I owe the Sonata a big apology. When I'm wrong I'm wrong..

Its above the TSX technology wise-- and my interpretation of the power band was wrong. Once I figured out the band and how to appropriately shift a 4 cyclinder tiptronic, I was getting much more of a TSX experience minus some of the Acura's DOHC VTEC "pop".

Main reason for this post, the pedal seems to have an interlock on it. So when you think you are pressing the pedal fairly hard, you are not really flooring it per se. It has some type of trigger that goes off when the pedal is fully depressed and you can feel it click almost like a button on the floor sensation. I have never driven a car with this, and I am guessing its some type of sport pedal feature. If you have a modern Sonata Sport you may have been unaware of it as well. Not that I recommend pressing it, it seems to really place a strain on the car. But if you want to do some aggressive shifting, its very interesting to press it all the way down to check it out.

I feel a feature like this was "tacked on" and the car isn't necessarily designed for it. Again, I've never seen this type of pedal design and I don't know what it means.

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Aryton Senna was a fucking god, everytime I see that Monaco run it gets the adrenaline pumping.

Also, some exquisite driving that has the same effect. The pass @ 1:40ish was incredible.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've been out of sport hatches and the like. Refresh me on who the top ones are right now? Thought it was like Ford Focus RS and Civic R/Si? (The Honda I knew boy racer hideous but performance numbers hot)

I knew I'd gotten bitter about Subaru price jumps and dropping the hatch option and generally stagnating. I miss my R32, the regular GTI doesn't quite do it for me, but this is for my father and the nice for a non luxury car interior and relative quiet I think he might like even if they are boring looking. My father was shopping Miata's but he doesn't fit. I've been trying to get him to look at the newest wave of 300hp sedans/hatches that are zippy as hell but not going to set him back BMW prices. (He could afford them but for a toy side car he's too much of a jew, doesnt want to take an old car and work on it as he's a bit old and not the greatest health to be doing his own wrenching)

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
There aren't many options in the US market.

Fiesta ST (Now discontinued)
Focus ST
Focus RS
Civic Type R (From what I've seen it's slow as balls compared to slightly modified older Honda NA engines)
Golf GTi
Golf R
MazdaSpeed 3 (Not sure if still in the market or not)
Fiat Abarth
Mini S (Same engine as the GTi, might as well get it instead)

Recently sold my ST because I couldn't afford it due to a pay cut, been looking at the Abarth since used ones are so cheap and they sound like a rally car with and intake.

Sludig

Is there an older R, because the new civic R is supposed to be sub second 0-60. (4.9 so by a whisker but still faster than my old R32) EDIT: Original google search had false number, see it's advertised in the 5's)

Though that wing and styling, I think that alone I'd steer my dad away from it.

Last edited:

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
I've been out of sport hatches and the like. Refresh me on who the top ones are right now? Thought it was like Ford Focus RS and Civic R/Si? (The Honda I knew boy racer hideous but performance numbers hot)

I knew I'd gotten bitter about Subaru price jumps and dropping the hatch option and generally stagnating. I miss my R32, the regular GTI doesn't quite do it for me, but this is for my father and the nice for a non luxury car interior and relative quiet I think he might like even if they are boring looking. My father was shopping Miata's but he doesn't fit. I've been trying to get him to look at the newest wave of 300hp sedans/hatches that are zippy as hell but not going to set him back BMW prices. (He could afford them but for a toy side car he's too much of a jew, doesnt want to take an old car and work on it as he's a bit old and not the greatest health to be doing his own wrenching)

Golf R is my favorite out of all the sport hatches. It is quick and handles very well (AWD + adjustable suspension) while also being incredibly comfortable, well equipped (all safety equipment + adaptive cruise), and made with 'quality' materials. The DSG transmission is a thing of beauty too. The 'facelift' versions (MK 7.5 Golf R) is expected to be released within the next few weeks for dealer allotment and adds VW's version of Audi Digital Cockpit and some other upgrades (new 7-sped DSG).

Golf R's 0-60 is around 5-5.2 seconds, so a little slower than the Civic R and Focus RS but with the things mentioned above make it much better than the Civic and Focus as a whole and a tad cheaper due to outrageous dealer markups on the RS and Type-R.

Last edited:

Sludig

Don't need to sell me on DSG, had it in my R32 w/ AWD. I'd been somewhat embittered @ VW though between the overheating issues in the R32 none of the dealers could address. (Later got my question featured on Truthaboutcars.com and learned about what was happening from a few other owners with same issue. Pro tip, don't try stuffing a big displacement v6 into a golf engine compartment in hotter climes) Then they had diesalgate and some other stuff and while I don't care about emmissions, some of the details seemed pretty shitty on their part... Oh and the price premium on the R at least in the 2012+ years seemed absurd for what you gain, maybe it's actually 15k better now? Kinda skeptical.

But yeah I'd been pushing him towards VW at least just to look just due to the interior probably more enjoyable for his old retired ass.

Last edited:

Sludig

Lol, unless they hiding them, can't even find any new R's in the area... bunch of like 14 and older used is about it.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Don't need to sell me on DSG, had it in my R32 w/ AWD. I'd been somewhat embittered @ VW though between the overheating issues in the R32 none of the dealers could address. (Later got my question featured on Truthaboutcars.com and learned about what was happening from a few other owners with same issue. Pro tip, don't try stuffing a big displacement v6 into a golf engine compartment in hotter climes) Then they had diesalgate and some other stuff and while I don't care about emmissions, some of the details seemed pretty shitty on their part... Oh and the price premium on the R at least in the 2012+ years seemed absurd for what you gain, maybe it's actually 15k better now? Kinda skeptical.

But yeah I'd been pushing him towards VW at least just to look just due to the interior probably more enjoyable for his old retired ass.

The upcoming MK 7.5 come with the new VW standard 6yr/72K mile warranty now too.

I haven't heard of many issues with the current R's. A comparable GTI in equipment is about $8-10k less than an R, so the price premium is subjective but I think it is money well-spent as you gain a reinforced motor, different turbo, AWD, and a suspension setup that is pretty comparable to a magnetic-ride suspension system. The big thing is, the Civic R-Types and Focus RS's are about $4-6k MORE than a Golf R however due to dealer markup around my area.

Lol, unless they hiding them, can't even find any new R's in the area... bunch of like 14 and older used is about it.

The MK 7.5 were a tad delayed in the US so the MK7 R's are now pretty rare to find new as the inventory is either gone or some dealers for some reason are hoarding them.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Found an older pic of my Land Rover LR4 (Discovery 4). Absolutely love this truck. It's a 2013 model, which is the last year they put the 5.0L V8 in it. (375hp / 375tq). LR seems to get a bad rep about reliability, but mine has been absolutely flawless. I had one issue with a leaky water pump, which is a known and documented TSB and fixed under warranty. Wheels and tires are aftermarket. The wheels are the only 18" wheels that can still fit over the giant front brakes without spacers. Made by the same company producing for the Bowler Wildcat.

Pic is taken here in Qatar. Across the water in the background is Saudi Arabia.

_37A2001.jpg

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
My step-father passed away at the end of September and left this to me.

2011 Challenger 392 Inaugural Edition

ERYDzAn

ERYDzAn.jpg

gGA7dqp.jpg

uLsKxM1.jpg

FiJWzIA.jpg

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wow, he definitely didn't drive it. That's a huge shame. It's also unfortunate Dodge didn't keep using that shade of blue.

Put some real rubber on the rears and drive that brute like you're 16 y/o.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wow, he definitely didn't drive it. That's a huge shame. It's also unfortunate Dodge didn't keep using that shade of blue.

Put some real rubber on the rears and drive that brute like you're 16 y/o.

He was retired Air Force of 20yrs (and 20yrs USPS) and also 20yrs older than my mother. His health started failing a few years after they got married and most of the time he spent sitting in his recliner watching the Price is Right. I guess after you've worked that long you don't really give a fuck about doing anything but chilling. Also, I kinda feel like he bought the car specifically to give to me one day.

It's extremely fun to drive. I always see people crying about how much of a "big girl" the challenger is and how "sluggish" it is but god damn, it is scary fast. If you stomp on the gas at a 35mph roll it'll break the ass end loose without even thinking about it.

In the spring I'm going to get new tires for it, those are the originals and though they have less than 3k miles on them, they're nearly 7 years old. I might have to wear them down a little first ;)

Also, while the factory exhaust sounds pretty good, I feel like it needs something with more balls. So that's something else I'll be exploring then. Haven't decided on if I want to do the NOWEEDS cutouts for the loud/quiet option or if I want to just go full aftermarket and leave it loud 24/7. It won't be a daily so I don't really have to give a shit whether or not the cabin drone gets annoying.

EDIT: Also the pics don't do the Deep Water Blue justice, it looks SO GOOD in person.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user