What vehicle do you drive?

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
If the infotainment center is critical, go Honda, or go luxury (Lexus, BMW, Mercedes), otherwise you'll be disappointed. Ford, Chevy, Mazda, they all suck asshole.

Lexus is pretty universally understood to have one of the worst infotainment systems on the market (that stupid touchpad garbage).

Dis

Confirmed Male
Honda and Lexus have generally one of the worst infotainment systems out there. Not sure where you are getting your info. Chevy has ApplePlay and Android Drive support, which means you can use Waze or Google Maps as your nav on the fly, Pandora etc for your streaming music with their interface, and have Alexa or whatever the Google helper is find stuff, call people, read texts, or send messages. Chevy infotainment is probably one of the better ones IMO.

Siliconemelons

Android and Apple Car play are...annoying...

You have to sit down and use them to see what I mean (and if you agree)

from the many systems I have used that have car play - either apple or droid - the "car play" app takes over your infotainment system and then you use the apps from your phone- and they work decently enough and whatnot - it gets annoying when you want to do anything outside of your "phone/carplay" system, and go back to the "normal" system and anything thats duplicated thereof- its very distracting and annoying.

I like Nissan infotainment systems, although they are lacking in the fluff - but after being in long term use of sync and whatever shit toyota pawns off as technology - I have to say, Nissans "simple" system is so much better. I found on the ford I was interacting with my main infotainment and my dash system more than I was paying attention to driving. The toyota (sienna) was the same, but more out of WTF this process is annoying and the jump between soft and hard keys is nonsensical.

The Volvo XC90 infotainment system to me, is the only one that got a good mix of reducing hard keys and shifting things to touch. Nissan gets blasted for still relying on too many "real" buttons, yet on and off reviews will praise their function and form and feel- and its true (again IMO) the real buttons are much better.

But I also have "been in" the Nissan mode for a long time- and all my vehicles are similar enough, yet different in style- that all of them made sense to me- Murano, Quest, Rogue, Altima, and now QX60.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Android and Apple Car play are...annoying...

You have to sit down and use them to see what I mean (and if you agree)

from the many systems I have used that have car play - either apple or droid - the "car play" app takes over your infotainment system and then you use the apps from your phone- and they work decently enough and whatnot - it gets annoying when you want to do anything outside of your "phone/carplay" system, and go back to the "normal" system and anything thats duplicated thereof- its very distracting and annoying.

I like Nissan infotainment systems, although they are lacking in the fluff - but after being in long term use of sync and whatever shit toyota pawns off as technology - I have to say, Nissans "simple" system is so much better. I found on the ford I was interacting with my main infotainment and my dash system more than I was paying attention to driving. The toyota (sienna) was the same, but more out of WTF this process is annoying and the jump between soft and hard keys is nonsensical.

The Volvo XC90 infotainment system to me, is the only one that got a good mix of reducing hard keys and shifting things to touch. Nissan gets blasted for still relying on too many "real" buttons, yet on and off reviews will praise their function and form and feel- and its true (again IMO) the real buttons are much better.

But I also have "been in" the Nissan mode for a long time- and all my vehicles are similar enough, yet different in style- that all of them made sense to me- Murano, Quest, Rogue, Altima, and now QX60.

I always had issues with touchscreen stuff on my VW, you hit a bump or anything and you hit the wrong button, then you spend more time looking at the screen rather than driving trying to change something. I much prefer real buttons.

Dis

Confirmed Male
I dunno what systems you have played with but apple play and android drive push the interface to your display on your vehicle. The only catch is it does not do it over blue tooth, you have to be connected to USB. You literally do not have to touch your screen on your vehicle either, everything can be done through voice command. Granted it is not always perfect (voice recognition) but it seems to be getting better from update to update.

Siliconemelons

I dunno what systems you have played with but apple play and android drive push the interface to your display on your vehicle. The only catch is it does not do it over blue tooth, you have to be connected to USB. You literally do not have to touch your screen on your vehicle either, everything can be done through voice command. Granted it is not always perfect (voice recognition) but it seems to be getting better from update to update.

exactly... that's what I said didn't I...well yes sorry if I was not clear but I agree :) - I was saying is, when you try and go back and forth between "your phone" and the "base infotainment" it gets odd and frustrating - like if you are BT to handsfree and the apple play also wants to be your phone... or if your doing radio on built in while on phone navi etc..

There are some systems that are...hybrid? systems... the argument can be made for if its "better" or "worse" methods of integration - but there are ones where certian "apps" are either in the infotainment and use your phone as data, such as pandora. So it retains all in the same "eco system" of the on screen system and is better flow... some also have the ability to "stream" the app from your phone to your infotainment center- so its fully using the app on the phone - and is pushing it to your infotainment center - Sync does this well, Nissan does this but not as seamless (it needs a seperate app, while sync does not) - but your limited on apps... also again crossing into apple/android play systems while using the streamed app to sync, and BT sync phone on the native system- yet again creates some...fun.

But, infotainment UI and use, much like the car itself in how it looks, how it drives and feels - is all very personable and subjective. I am not a fan of toyotas - that's blasphemy to lots of people lol - I love how CVTs work and feel, again...blasphemy. So to each their own, and thanks to capitalism we all have many many choices of cars at many variable price points - technology in cars keeps getting cheaper and cheaper and standard in base models- Honda and Toyota are doing this the best, with GM playing catchup on the tech-filled base models.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
A5E85Ub

Finally gave in and retired my Mustang for a "grown up" car with 4 doors. Although it actually puts more horsepower to the wheels than my Mustang did....

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
My '15 370Z, absolutely still in love with it.

When brand new, at my mom's house:
bebedoll.jpg

After some wear and tear and taken near home. Notice the fucking hood scratch near the right headlight... rock flew up from a truck :mad::mad::mad::
bebedoll2.jpg

My Bob Ross funko I put on the dash with some 3M tape heh... he's my spirit animal in bad traffic, haha:
bebedoll3.jpg

Proof it's mine, and shameless attention whoring (eh.. nothing changes, huh? :eek::p:eek:) :
20180113_152616.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
A post appropriate for St. Patrick's day. My 2018 M3 ZCP in Java Green. Some day when the sun comes out I'll get some good pictures =p

BHCgPa8.jpg

Interior with custom Java Green stitching also.

AquyR77.jpg

DbJ07lt.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
as a euro i'm jealous of the low taxes & fuel costs the US people enjoy

putting anything petrol powered with an engine > 4000cc on the road is at least 15k$ tax in first year, along with a hilariously high insurance fee and gas price, so while you can find an older M5 in germany for peanuts, you pay nearly as much just to put it on the road

also a car with windows that are tinted non-OEM are considered "tuning" here and will cost you more

insurance companies don't insure anything that is not 100% OEM mechanically, so people that chiptune or mod it simply never report it

locally a few skylines were taken out of traffic, until their owners could prove they were 100% standard, needless to say they never returned to traffic

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
on the other hand, i'm absolutely not jealous of US cars

i thought you guys stole all the german tech after WWII

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I was lucky and paid less than $500 in taxes. Then you have places like Denmark where there would have been at least 100% additional tax, maybe 150% if the laws haven't changed yet.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
It's the automatic DCT. In sequential mode there is plenty of room to control shifting so I like the system. Unlike my automatic 340xi the DCT in automatic mode still has some behaviors you would see in a manual like if you are in reverse but facing down a hill you will roll forward where I wouldn't before.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Isn't there like a $7000 surcharge on V8 muscle cars in the states? Also premium gas, which is still half the cost of any European country while insurance is definitely a lot higher but comparitively still probably a lot cheaper. California is really the only state with extreme restrictions on vehicles. They don't even sell octane higher than 91. Texas has the cheapest 93 octane and it's at nearly every station. Certain counties in Texas have emissions restrictions, like Hays (Houston).

There's very few places we would be envious of as far as cars are concerned. We can't have certain Skyline models because they don't meet requirements. Haven't researched heavily into it, a d I'm sure someone here could explain the specifics.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't there like a $7000 surcharge on V8 muscle cars in the states?

No. Curious where you heard that nonsense from.

Hachima Hachima Love the M car. Been looking to get an M3 for a daily since I want to get back into something smaller and lighter, but I can't find a 6 speed anywhere that isn't gray or white. And I've been looking for a while.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Isn't there like a $7000 surcharge on V8 muscle cars in the states? Also premium gas, which is still half the cost of any European country while insurance is definitely a lot higher but comparitively still probably a lot cheaper. California is really the only state with extreme restrictions on vehicles. They don't even sell octane higher than 91. Texas has the cheapest 93 octane and it's at nearly every station. Certain counties in Texas have emissions restrictions, like Hays (Houston).

There's very few places we would be envious of as far as cars are concerned. We can't have certain Skyline models because they don't meet requirements. Haven't researched heavily into it, a d I'm sure someone here could explain the specifics.
No surcharge. Depending on the individual car matters if you want to run premium. The wimpy mustangs but still v8 I think are just standard pump gas, the higher tuned ones premium. (I think). 91/93 sometimes is more due to elevation. Higher elevations sell 91 because the way the air pressure affects ignition with the different octanes.
I havn't noticed anything insurance wise about v8's other than original cost of the car, once into Hellcat territory sure, but those are $120k anyways.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No surcharge. Depending on the individual car matters if you want to run premium. The wimpy mustangs but still v8 I think are just standard pump gas, the higher tuned ones premium. (I think). 91/93 sometimes is more due to elevation. Higher elevations sell 91 because the way the air pressure affects ignition with the different octanes.
I havn't noticed anything insurance wise about v8's other than original cost of the car, once into Hellcat territory sure, but those are $120k anyways.

It's not elevation that determines octane requirements. It's compression ratio of the engine (which is determined by boost - turbos or superchargers - and intake/exhaust manifold designs, pressures, and air:fuel ratios). California only having 91 is due to politics and taxes. It's a shit state. Hellcats are not $120k. Mine was $72,000 fully loaded (without auto, which would have been another $3,000).

We aim to educate in this family.