What vehicle do you drive?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Probably thinking about mpgs and epa regulations.

My S3 doesn't like going into first at a quick stop. It's pretty bad off the line until it realizes it needs to be in first again if I come to a stop for less than a second.

But my car needs are changing and now I need an SUV that can tow 3500lbs or a truck. Tacomas snd 4runners are "fuck you" expensive for what they are. I don't really want to buy an American luxury barge and the Ranger isn't coming back until next year. Highlanders have decent tow capacity but the new 8 speed transmissions appear to be a lemon as of 2017, no reports yet on the 2018s.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I heard the ten speed transmissions that the new Rangers are sporting are works of art. Has anyone here driven one yet? Last thing you want is a stupid slushbox transmission on a pick up.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Hopefully the A7 doesn't suffer from the same god awful throttle response my new S5 has, but I don't think it does since it uses a double clutch tranny instead of the 8 speed ZF used in the S series.

Fucking throttle lag blows in the new S4/S5's unless you drive it in Dynamic-S all the time, in which case you get about 15mpg. Dunno wtf Audi was thinking.

My A6 had that, but I don't think the A7 does or I've just gotten used to it and stopped noticing

Siliconemelons

Have an opportunity to get a 2012 Nissan Leaf @ a very good price, it got a new "lizard" battery I think 2 years ago- fully charged it is getting 70 miles in city - so that is where it "should be" new for range- 2013 is when they put the bigger battery in and it was 80ish.

Reading, the thing is a solid car - only "big" thing to replace is the battery and standards, tires, breaks, blinker fluid etc.

I am driving a 2012 Nissan Rogue and I got a kbb cash offer for +1500$ what I owe + my warranty and GAP return money.

The leaf is very close to comfort and fit, it's obviously a little less cargo room for long things like 2x4s etc.

It's for my commute, that's 6ish miles, round trip.

Comes with home charger and the travel charger.

If I keep the resulting loan at the same term as what's left on the Rogue, I free up 200$ a month- to either pay off faster or kill off quicker this last damn credit card.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have an opportunity to get a 2012 Nissan Leaf @ a very good price, it got a new "lizard" battery I think 2 years ago- fully charged it is getting 70 miles in city - so that is where it "should be" new for range- 2013 is when they put the bigger battery in and it was 80ish.

Reading, the thing is a solid car - only "big" thing to replace is the battery and standards, tires, breaks, blinker fluid etc.

I am driving a 2012 Nissan Rogue and I got a kbb cash offer for +1500$ what I owe + my warranty and GAP return money.

The leaf is very close to comfort and fit, it's obviously a little less cargo room for long things like 2x4s etc.

If I keep the resulting loan at the same term as what's left on the Rogue, I free up 200$ a month- to either pay off faster or kill off quicker this last damn credit card.

Well, as a car lover, I'd tell you it's hideous and soul-sucking and the antithesis of everything I love about cars.

However, as a financial advisor (which I am) I'd tell you that it sounds like a smart move for your daily commute. You save on the monthly payment, which is smart all around. But, you also save on gas costs. Slightly offset by the higher electric bill, but ultimately a savings there too.

If you're OK with the first statement and we're in agreement with the second, I'd say give it a shot.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

If your commute is that short, that may work but keep in mind do you have other vehicles for longer trips? A fresh battery may be good for 60-70 miles, but the bad thing with the gen 1 vehicles, is winter.... heat etc massively drops your available battery. Like 12 miles round trip and you may be looking at pretty much needed a full overnight charge etc. Battery life also drops over time.

2 years ago when they still had amazing rebates even buying used iirc, or at least steeply discounted older leafs, could get one for like 8-10k here. I was tempted, but I have an hour commute and there was just no way. I havnt stayed up on it, but the newer ones out I thought this year are sporting more reasonable distances of 150-200 I thought. But I'm sure much heftier pricetag.

Siliconemelons

Thanks for the replies - as stated it did get a new battery not that long ago that is the newer heat resistant battery - so the most critical component has been replaced with "better" technology that it started with.

Generally used ones in the area for the 11-12's are 8-9k, can find a ebay, craigslist or obscure listing for 6-7k but they are, obviously more dubious and unknown conditions.

If I didn't know the person selling and its history I would not be so inclined to seek a used fully electric car.

As for aesthetics, eh - I drove a murano, I am used to love/hate and nissanish looks.

We do have my wifes new (well 2016, we have had for a year) QX60 for a gas powered car, trips, family stuff etc. And well for, when I want to drive a nice leather trimmed car with wood accents and all the niceities heh. The Leaf would be, get to work, lunch, home, grocery shopping etc.

I would get the home charger as it wont work with his Model 3 (thats why he is selling his leaf, he got his 2-4week call from Tesla for his 3) - but even the slow standard plugger would charge it up from "home from work time" overnight to "time to go to work" - but I do not see 2 (or any) free breaker things in my main box to do the wiring myself - so I would have to hire an electrician to come out and look at the thing and actually rework everything and put in a new box and switches and re secure the wiring etc. aka stuff I do not want to do right now heh... so I am planning on just sticking with the slow charge option now anywho.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The heat i'm talking about is the heater, that uses a lot of power, nothing to do with heat issues from driving around in say AZ. Just to be clear on that one point.

Siliconemelons

Oh gotcha, yeah I live in Florida so the A/C Heat is on rarely, it would be 98% A/C cooling - although that still generates "heat"

From what I understand the batteries on the leaf, nor the leaf redesign gen 2 - do not have "coolers" and that is considered...not wise...

He bought the thing new in 2012 and its at about 40k miles - I would have to get the extended seat brackets to up the comfort level a notch = or slightly above the Rogue.

I will report back after I get some time to do more than sit in it- and drive it around and see if its actually a doable "fit"

When I was finding them for 7-9k they were not really an option, I wouldent save anything really per month and only extend my loan term, but when he told me how much he wants and I got my general KBB cash offer price on the rogue - it does make a better financial situation - even if I drive it 2 years and the miles get down to 30 (thats generally where I am seeing it bottom out, OG batteries at that) - I get to work and back easy.

Vinen

God is dead
Just ordered a BMW 530e (Fully loaded) Cannot wait for it to show-up in late May.
Thought about getting a Tesla Model S but I hate having to plan around electric chargers. Also have ethical issues with Tesla at the moment give the stories that are coming out about them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just ordered a BMW 530e (Fully loaded) Cannot wait for it to show-up in late May.
Thought about getting a Tesla Model S but I hate having to plan around electric chargers. Also have ethical issues with Tesla at the moment give the stories that are coming out about them.

I watched a guy have to change the relays in the battery on youtube the other day and FUCK THAT. Basically impossible without a lift, he even fucked it up trying to put the battery back in and had to buy a donor car just to get the new connectors to drive his car again. Battery is almost half a ton on those cars.

Siliconemelons

Drove the Leaf for a good nice juant around the work area - sitting in it and driving once I got settled in the seat was actually decently comfortable, I would put it on par with my current rogue - if I install the longer seat rails it would most likely be better.

I know it is no Tesla, but it can go if you tell it to... it drives surprisingly like a normal car - well... a normal nissan CVT car - I was expecting a lot of power drop once I let off the "gas" pedal - but it didnt, it acted like a normal car- it did not feel like "a big golf cart"

It is at 58k not 44k like I thought he said - its fully loaded, I think... there are 2 "button" spots on the left bottom dash that are blank, but we all know that for some infuriating reason car makers do that - it lacks 360 aroundview cam my rogue has, it just has backup cam....and I think the sound system is just enchanced standard nissan, not bose - BUT it has bluetooth audio, - dont get me started, nissan is stuck in the fucking 90s and only has bluetooth audio on top trims or not at all back in the 2012era and some models even now... my Quest (SL, 2nd from top...) didnt have it, only LE did- and my current Rogue does not and its fully loaded with everything but AWD.

Its also cloth v my leather - but he has seat covers...and I looked under them and the seats are fine so..yeah.

I started with the battery @ 55 range and 3 "blocks" down on the battery gauge - not fully charged, as I drove "city" driving it moved up to 57 (regen breaking) - I did an on ramp to off ramp to do a merge and speed up onramp etc. its quite a peppy thing just...no...sound... and by peppy thats vs my standard I4 rogue, neither are "fast".

The car is not as low as my wife's 05 civic but not as high as the little rogue - bumps and stuff are decently muted for the car size and tires (he has kept replacements with OEM tires, bridgestones).

By the end, I was back at 55 miles range and 4 "blocks" down (1 block used)- so I did use power, regenerated some (small amount I am sure) and seemingly drove more efficient than the current owner does to round off the mile range lol.

I think I am going to go for it and talk to the wife tonight seriously about it- I think i have her convinced :) and my cousin may be in the need of a car and I can sell her the rogue

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Test drove a 2018 Mustang GT today. God but DAMN does that engine sound good, as soon as you hit the start button. Those 460HP made it a fun ride around the block of the dealership also. I'm itching for another sporty car, but at the same time I'd like a little more luxury than the Mustang (it was the premium.) I'm not really a "Mustang guy" so much either, despite a 1994 Mustang GT being my first car as a teenager in the 90s. Definitely tempting me though.

Then a smarter side of me says "Get a BMW M235i" or something along those lines. A dose of luxury with a dose of speed. I dunno.

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $40k. Don't mind if it's a year or a few old.

I'm not masochistic enough to buy the 2011-2012 M3s I see floating around here.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK. general car aesthetics question here....

Picked up a 2017 Caddy CTS V-sport in January. (Short review, I F*ing love it and never realized I needed to be able to go over 150 on a regular basis until now).

Only nitpick is that it has a sunroof (That's on all of them that have the trim package I liked). And I live in Texas. Sunroofs are great when you want to roll with them open, but in Texas having a window on top of a car you don't always get to park in the shade causes some serious heat issues while parked.

About to get the windows tinted to a point I like, what are the pros/cons of getting a sunroof tinted as well? (Here's where you all step in and call me an idiot I'm guessing...)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Test drove a 2018 Mustang GT today. God but DAMN does that engine sound good, as soon as you hit the start button. Those 460HP made it a fun ride around the block of the dealership also. I'm itching for another sporty car, but at the same time I'd like a little more luxury than the Mustang (it was the premium.) I'm not really a "Mustang guy" so much either, despite a 1994 Mustang GT being my first car as a teenager in the 90s. Definitely tempting me though.

Then a smarter side of me says "Get a BMW M235i" or something along those lines. A dose of luxury with a dose of speed. I dunno.

Any suggestions? I don't want to spend more than $40k. Don't mind if it's a year or a few old.

I'm not masochistic enough to buy the 2011-2012 M3s I see floating around here.
I'd look into a 340xi w/ track handling and adaptive M and add the MPPSK if one doesn't have it (likely not on a lease for a while since it didn't become a port side install option until late 2016). The 340 adds a bit more power and M235i and more luxery especially of you get the tech package. I'm addicted to the HUD which isn't available in the 2 series. I suspect 340s are starting to coming off of lease and they are showing up at an asking of ~37k w/ those options.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I'd look into a 340xi w/ track handling and adaptive M and add the MPPSK if one doesn't have it (likely not on a lease for a while since it didn't become a port side install option until late 2016). The 340 adds a bit more power and M235i and more luxery especially of you get the tech package. I'm addicted to the HUD which isn't available in the 2 series. I suspect 340s are starting to coming off of lease and they are showing up at an asking of ~37k w/ those options.

Thanks for the heads up. Gonna dig into researching those.

lurker

Vyemm Raider

Picked up a 2017 Caddy CTS V-sport in January. (Short review, I F*ing love it and never realized I needed to be able to go over 150 on a regular basis until now).

Only nitpick is that it has a sunroof (That's on all of them that have the trim package I liked). And I live in Texas. Sunroofs are great when you want to roll with them open, but in Texas having a window on top of a car you don't always get to park in the shade causes some serious heat issues while parked.

About to get the windows tinted to a point I like, what are the pros/cons of getting a sunroof tinted as well? (Here's where you all step in and call me an idiot I'm guessing...)

Talk to them about ceramic tinting.

Ceramic tint is non-metallic and instead uses a double layer nano-ceramic technology to block a large part of the sun’s heat, saving your car’s interior from heating up to harmful levels. They can ward off 99% of ultraviolet radiation and also keep infrared radiation out. This facilitates in quicker cooling of the car’s interior, making it much safer and less prone to breakdowns or other problems caused by overheating. Of course, it keeps you cooler and more comfortable at the same time, without affecting visibility.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

irondawg

Trakanon Raider
Talk to them about ceramic tinting.
I live in Austin and drive a '15 F150 with black leather. You'd think I'm crazy with black leather but I had all the windows tinted with ceramic including the windshield (clear). Even on the hottest days, I can get in and not burn my butt or hands grabbing the wheel (also black leather). I was so impressed, that I had my '11 Mini S re-tinted in ceramic (BRG w/white top, black cloth).

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Do it. Won't hurt anything and will be more comfortable. Won't have restrictions on tint % either, since it's not a safety factor for a police officer being able to see you.