What vehicle do you drive?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Been looking for a smaller truck like a Ranger or Maverick but what the actual fuck with NO ONE having them and the wait for either is anywhere from 8 months to 2 and a half years...
The Maverick hybrid was extremely popular.

PS:

I saw one of these all trimmed out like this around here:

I absolutely want one, despite the fact that I drive so little...

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

PS:

That must be like 120k?

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Been looking for a smaller truck like a Ranger or Maverick but what the actual fuck with NO ONE having them and the wait for either is anywhere from 8 months to 2 and a half years...

I managed to snag a Ranger during the pandemic. There were three available in a 100 mile radius at the time. They're still working through the backlog from 3 years ago. Be vigilant. And don't buy used. The used small trucks sell for as much as the new ones do. Find a good dealer, give the dealer your want list, and let them do the work of finding it. Ford has a lot of discounts available that stack up.

And I can tell you the Ranger is a great truck. I can tow anything I want to, the back seat is totally useable (I have the 4 door cab), it came with an awesome spray in liner, and I'm getting between 25 and 28 mpg in town. Also very comfortable seats, and though I got the relatively basic model it comes with a lot of extras.

My wife wants to get a Maverick, we probably will if one comes available.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would rephrase that to it tows the little things I need rather than anything I want to. It's a little bitch light truck and going to be pretty limited. The Maverick more so. Not sure if they are on the newest gen ranger just yet but it's supposed to fix some issues but I havn't looked all that close, for a while the price difference meant I might as well grab an F150. Look great though.

I walked from Ford after getting burned waiting a full complete year or so then getting told my maverick order would have to be rolled into new year at higher price and they removed some features.

Somewhat tepid about my 5.0 GT Mustang as well. Though at least it's not self destructing like my jag. Though maybe a matter of time, since people readily even in this thread talk about Ford's massive warranty costs.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I would rephrase that to it tows the little things I need rather than anything I want to. It's a little bitch light truck and going to be pretty limited. The Maverick more so. Not sure if they are on the newest gen ranger just yet but it's supposed to fix some issues but I havn't looked all that close, for a while the price difference meant I might as well grab an F150. Look great though.

I walked from Ford after getting burned waiting a full complete year or so then getting told my maverick order would have to be rolled into new year at higher price and they removed some features.

Somewhat tepid about my 5.0 GT Mustang as well. Though at least it's not self destructing like my jag. Though maybe a matter of time, since people readily even in this thread talk about Ford's massive warranty costs.

I'm not pulling a lot more than 7,500 pounds at any given time. It happens, and the Ranger can do it. You just have to be smart about breaking. And if you have a trailer with its own breaks you can exceed that tow limit by a lot.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I'm not pulling a lot more than 7,500 pounds at any given time. It happens, and the Ranger can do it. You just have to be smart about breaking. And if you have a trailer with its own breaks you can exceed that tow limit by a lot.
Not a good idea to exceed tow limits, especially in a girly truck like Ranger.

I knew a guy who had a Chevy 2500, he always had that thing way way over the cargo and towing limits. Truck was basically a pile of bolts by 65k miles.

Burns

tesla calls home and they see when youre fucking your boyfriend in the garage
I wonder how the car phones home. Does it have it's own sim card or does it make people connect to their home wireless network for these daily GBs of data uploads? Surly someone has found a way to disable the ability of the car to send and receive data.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I wonder how the car phones home. Does it have it's own sim card or does it make people connect to their home wireless network for these daily GBs of data uploads? Surly someone has found a way to disable the ability of the car to send and receive data.
apparently they have 2 sims, 1 for gps and ai driving and the other for updates

Burns

apparently they have 2 sims, 1 for gps and ai driving and the other for updates
Did a quick search and (for the older cars) it looks like they will still work w/o a functional internet connection. At least according to some people that took them to places like Egypt or Macedonia. So if someone knew about the privacy issues, they could just disable the sims, then use a hotspot to get functionality when they want it.

I also found a reddit post saying the new cars have a built in eSim, which is a chip that cant be removed, and backup SIM card slots for outside US/EU. So I guess new owners are SOL on their privacy getting invaded.

These days, everyone is carrying around a tracking and listening device in their pocket and a separate one in their home (Alexia, Google Home, etc.), so what is privacy anyhow...

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

PS:

lil out of your price range hun. Maybe go check out a jeep wrangler or Subaru Outback.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Did a quick search and (for the older cars) it looks like they will still work w/o a functional internet connection. At least according to some people that took them to places like Egypt or Macedonia. So if someone knew about the privacy issues, they could just disable the sims, then use a hotspot to get functionality when they want it.

I also found a reddit post saying the new cars have a built in eSim, which is a chip that cant be removed, and backup SIM card slots for outside US/EU. So I guess new owners are SOL on their privacy getting invaded.

These days, everyone is carrying around a tracking and listening device in their pocket and a separate one in their home (Alexia, Google Home, etc.), so what is privacy anyhow...
thats probably to check gps for crash, esim says you were going at 90mph, insurance won't cover

Burns

thats probably to check gps for crash, esim says you were going at 90mph, insurance won't cover
On the newer Model 3s, it looks like it's for everything:
2023-04-06 19.28.02 www.teslaownersonline.com cc66433cdd55.png

2023-04-06 19.28.13 www.teslaownersonline.com 3ff8b327c864.png

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

If you disable it none of the navigation or audio streams or anything will work, which is a large part of the charm of the car, the built in interface and computer.

I get the privacy implications, I'm just saying. Disabling that shit will seriously hamstring the car's functionality.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
If you disable it none of the navigation or audio streams or anything will work, which is a large part of the charm of the car, the built in interface and computer.

I get the privacy implications, I'm just saying. Disabling that shit will seriously hamstring the car's functionality.
I wonder what the over/under on time until someone "jailbreaks" a Tesla and installs their own OS on it..... Pretty sure I've already seen it done at DefCon, but that's rarely an easy to repeat in the field type of hack.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder what the over/under on time until someone "jailbreaks" a Tesla and installs their own OS on it..... Pretty sure I've already seen it done at DefCon, but that's rarely an easy to repeat in the field type of hack.
I'm sure it's possible but again none of the shit will work if you do, so I'm not sure the point. No supercharging alone would be a deal breaker.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'm sure it's possible but again none of the shit will work if you do, so I'm not sure the point. No supercharging alone would be a deal breaker.
The point would be to reverse engineer not just the base OS but the WHOLE thing so you could access all the cars features. But then control the unruly things in the OS you didn't approve of. There are a lot of android phones you can drop a new base image on and actually have a MORE functional phone with more on it unlocked. Like when carriers would lock you from using the hotspot on your phone unless you paid an extra $5 a month? Well, swap out the boot loader for a "clean" android build that that stops being a consideration.

Imagine not needing to pay a special licensing fee to have your full battery capacity for instance. How many things on a Tesla do you have to pay extra just to have them flip a software switch so you can fully utilize the hardware you purchased?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
oh yea, it even calls home to supercharge, ha

or rather it checks to see if youre blacklisted or not from supercharging

Haus

<Silver Donator>
oh yea, it even calls home to supercharge, ha

or rather it checks to see if youre blacklisted or not from supercharging
Would you buy a normal ICE car that would call home to decide if you could put gas in it? Or if you could only put in low grade fuel as opposed to better fuel?

• 1Like