Whats rustling your jimmies?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Title was still in my grandfathers name per the county's tax assessor as of oct 26th.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't sound like he has any claim. Just because his grandpa was paying the taxes and upkeep does not mean it was his. Depends on what happened to it when grandma died. You'd expect that grandpa would have inherited it, but maybe not. Maybe it was never legally given to gramma at all, or maybe gramma gave it to the sister upon her death or stipulated it return to her sister upon grandpas death. his will could have contradicted something like that, but did it?

At any rate, a court gave it to them for some reason. Hopefully that reason wasn't just because no one was there to dispute the claim.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Well see, going to call the title company that handled the sale tomorrow.

Either way the other parties are scum. When I asked the guy who more or less represents them why the hell did they randomly have a deed mailed to us to sign with literally zero communication all he said was "its just some paperwork the title company said they needed".

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
At any rate, a court gave it to them for some reason. Hopefully that reason wasn't just because no one was there to dispute the claim.
That's usually the reason. Whether someone ignored the summons or were never served/informed, very often the plaintiff shows up, nobody else does, congrats. You'd be surprised at how many civil cases involve huge judgements entered because nobody showed up to show cause an order shouldn't be entered. People get ousted from their houses because they didn't think to show up and explain whether or not they're actually behind in rent or whether or not other agreements were made like upkeep and improvements in exchange for rent considered paid that suddenly get ignored when a management company wants you out. The judge asking a defendant 3 times to just tell him 'how much do you feel the repairs you made to the home should offset the rent owed' and when she repeatedly can't answer the damn question the judge just says 'okay, you'll pay the full amount then!'

Holy shit it's infuriating how much money people leave on the table because they're lazy or ignorant or don't think to even bother explaining or justifying themselves.

But anyhow, not that hard to go to the clerk's office and ask if they have any related records. Have them search by names and shit. It's public record in most if not all states. Figure out what happened legally, whether a judgment was entered, whether a quiet title went through uncontested, whether you were even on the defendant list and notified because a lot of times it just says 'heirs of soandso' but that doesn't mean you don't have a claim and can't vacate a judgment or get a stay. Probably best Big Phoenix get some info, then an attorney as soon as possible. They're pretty quick in assessing a case and determining whether it's worth attempting a pay day, hah. Or just try to do shit by yourself. Most important thing being to actually show up!

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
What did the house sell for? This almost deserves its own thread...
No idea. Couldnt imagine very much. County appraises it at 80k but I know it was in need of some serious repair so highly doubt it would of been anywhere near that.
Holy shit it's infuriating how much money people leave on the table because they're lazy or ignorant or don't think to even bother explaining or justifying themselves.
None of us received any paperwork aside from the deed from the first title company back in October. If I hadnt of checked zillow I wouldnt have even known it was sold.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Yea looks like they know they just made a big god damn mistake.

It's okay though, they have two of their top attorneys working on the case!

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
So,

Call Title company, lady tells me the woman I need to speak with and the closer are in a meeting and that she will call me back.

Woman leaves me a voice mail saying her, the underwriter and a attorney will be doing a conference later to go over the file and she gave my number to the attorney who will hopefully call me back before cod today

Call woman back and she just tells me she cant comment on anything and that the case is being handled by their "top two attorneys" at their corporate office with the underwriters and that once they get done and figure something out they will be calling the appropriate parties which will take a few days at a minimum. At that point I just asked her how did this happen, what is going on. She just walled up and said its all being handled by corporate and that she cant talk about it any further.

Either they have got to be the dumbest title company in the history of title companies(as evidence by the first title company sending us a deed to transfer ownership) or there is fraud going on. Im honestly leaning towards fraud just due to the fact the ownership should of been clear as day.

Going to call their corporate office tomorrow and ask to speak to someone with half a brain. Depending on how that goes next step is a lawyer.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I was pissed about having to pay title insurance on my house. Then 2 years after I bought it and was living in it I got a letter from my lawyer that the house had a lien on it. Luckily the lienholder did not care about the property and didn't cause a fuss (seller's sister). Basically in my limited experience I am convinced title searches and title companies are a scam and don't actually do anything.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Getting so rustled at a dream that it wakes me up, so I can start my day at maximum over-rustle, at something thatdidn't actually happen, caused by my own brain.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Call other party ask them wtf and just hear them say well the judge said it was ours, tell them we will not be signing the deed
What court/county was your grandpa's estate probated in?

I can see if there are any orders related to property if it's in a county I have access to.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Getting so rustled at a dream that it wakes me up, so I can start my day at maximum over-rustle, at something thatdidn't actually happen, caused by my own brain.
Said every wife ever.

That rustles my jimmies she pulls that shit. Big time.

rrr_img_122412.jpg

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I was pissed about having to pay title insurance on my house. Then 2 years after I bought it and was living in it I got a letter from my lawyer that the house had a lien on it. Luckily the lienholder did not care about the property and didn't cause a fuss (seller's sister). Basically in my limited experience I am convinced title searches and title companies are a scam and don't actually do anything.
That would be what the title insurance is for. They certify their search and will pay off shit they didn't find. Thats what you pay the multi-thousand dollar insurance for.