Whats rustling your jimmies?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yup. Maybe it wasn't technically personal since it had the company name and stuff on it but that's probably irrelevant.

Main reason i'm rustled is because i'm assuming if there was an actual problem with the payroll check and it got voided, my tax withholdings from that pay period should still have been added in to the YTD on this most recent check but they're not, so i'm assuming he just "something happened to the check" and kept the roughly $200 Uncle Sam would've withheld from me (and whatever he would've paid in payroll taxes since I think employers have to pay those too?).

Last edited:
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Yup. Maybe it wasn't technically personal since it had the company name and stuff on it but that's probably irrelevant.

Main reason i'm rustled is because i'm assuming if there was an actual problem with the payroll check and it got voided, my tax withholdings from that pay period should still have been added in to the YTD on this most recent check but they're not, so i'm assuming he just "something happened to the check" and kept the roughly $200 Uncle Sam would've withheld from me (and whatever he would've paid in payroll taxes since I think employers have to pay those too?).

I'm really struggling to understand how this is a mild irritant problem versus a red flag problem. The proximate problem is your employer paid you with one check instead of another because something went wrong with your payroll check. The actual problem here is that you're in a position where you have to make assumptions about whether/why your employer is voiding your paychecks. You keep referring to a nebulous 'problem' with your paycheck that the person paying you can't apparently explain. What the fuck? You're not a teenager mowing lawns and waiting for the little old lady to find her purse.

If you're going to get fucked working in a restaurant you might as well work at Red Robin and at least know your direct deposit is going to show up as long as you do. This whole situation baffles me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Well, it was a mild irritant until tonight when I got verification that he was pulling shenanigans, now it's a red flag and i'm probably going to be quitting unless there is a solution (not likely). He's prolly going to try and not pay me for this last week of work (next pay period, checks come two weeks from today) if I do but that's a bridge i'll cross if that happens.

On the brighter side, I have almost 4k in the bank so if I quit I can focus on getting my old legal troubles cleared up and my drivers license back and maybe finally get out of the restaurant business altogether, which I've wanted to do for 8ish years now anyways.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Make a copy of your time sheet and go to the department of labor - Or threaten to. Or both.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Well, it was a mild irritant until tonight when I got verification that he was pulling shenanigans, now it's a red flag and i'm probably going to be quitting unless there is a solution (not likely). He's prolly going to try and not pay me for this last week of work (next pay period, checks come two weeks from today) if I do but that's a bridge i'll cross if that happens.

On the brighter side, I have almost 4k in the bank so if I quit I can focus on getting my old legal troubles cleared up and my drivers license back and maybe finally get out of the restaurant business altogether, which I've wanted to do for 8ish years now anyways.

Good luck my dude. Sounds like you're 8ish years due for a change.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Well, it was a mild irritant until tonight when I got verification that he was pulling shenanigans,

I can't figure out what shenanigans he's pulling. I guess this is a mom n pop restaurant? Since it was a company check that he wrote you should probably watch out for a 1099 at the end of the year. In that way he puts all the tax burden for that portion of your pay onto you.

The something that went wrong might be that he's just broke and can't pay uncle sam. If that's what's up he won't be in business much longer. But it could also be a problem with the software and maybe he is still planning to make the withholding right. Or maybe he forgot about it and just needs to be told. What happened with the other employees?

Oh and I don't know where you live, but I doubt like hell there's a state in the union where he can simply not pay you for work you've already done. That's not a reasonable fear unless you're being paid under the table.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Fuck touch screens.

An increasing number of devices use this fucking interface. Literally 9 times out of ten when I touch a touch screen, nothing happens. Whether its a smartphone or a self checkout screen or video screen on an airplane seat. Touch screen, no response whatsoever. Touch it harder, nothing. Lick my finger, try again, nothing. Keep jabbing it repeatedly, OH ONE OF THOSE worked... oops now its back to not responding.

I don't understand how these devices work for every finger on the planet thats not mine. I don't know if y'all are wearing some kind of slimy lotion on your hands, or sweat more, or have a different body temperature, or have different electrical fields coming out of your finger tips, or what the fuck ever. I can't explain why touch screens do absolutely nothing when I touch them, 90% of the time.

But you know what fucking worked for everyone? Goddam BUTTONS.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Fuck touch screens.

An increasing number of devices use this fucking interface. Literally 9 times out of ten when I touch a touch screen, nothing happens. Whether its a smartphone or a self checkout screen or video screen on an airplane seat. Touch screen, no response whatsoever. Touch it harder, nothing. Lick my finger, try again, nothing. Keep jabbing it repeatedly, OH ONE OF THOSE worked... oops now its back to not responding.

I don't understand how these devices work for every finger on the planet thats not mine. I don't know if y'all are wearing some kind of slimy lotion on your hands, or sweat more, or have a different body temperature, or have different electrical fields coming out of your finger tips, or what the fuck ever. I can't explain why touch screens do absolutely nothing when I touch them, 90% of the time.

But you know what fucking worked for everyone? Goddam BUTTONS.

I've heard the undead have shit tons of problems with touch screens. You should see a doctor. You might be dead.

Also, i'm assuming you're talking about phones and tablets which have capacitive touch screens. If you're not and you have a choice, try a resistive touch screen. Resistive screens work entirely on pressure.

Oh yeah and if you are talking about phones, get a blackberry key2. They are the only smart phones I know of that still have a physical keyboard.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I don't know why this rustles me, but when people send you a message "Just a friendly reminder blah blah blah". Especially when it's something you either already did (take the fucking time to check), or have told them that you're not going to do.

One time the payroll girl sent one of those and I replied that I was going to wait for the unfriendly reminder because I don't respond to passive aggressive threats.

• 1Worf

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I'm really struggling to understand how this is a mild irritant problem versus a red flag problem. The proximate problem is your employer paid you with one check instead of another because something went wrong with your payroll check. The actual problem here is that you're in a position where you have to make assumptions about whether/why your employer is voiding your paychecks. You keep referring to a nebulous 'problem' with your paycheck that the person paying you can't apparently explain. What the fuck? You're not a teenager mowing lawns and waiting for the little old lady to find her purse.

If you're going to get fucked working in a restaurant you might as well work at Red Robin and at least know your direct deposit is going to show up as long as you do. This whole situation baffles me.

zombiewizardhawk zombiewizardhawk man you still haven't taken care of your legal troubles have you? you gotta take care of that stuff or you're going to spend the rest of your days working for employers like this shady fuck

edit -- derp i should have just read one more post of yours, yeah sorry man, 4k has gotta be enough by now tho, no? go do it!

• 1Harrow

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yup I have been procrastinating on that, it's one thing i'm good at!

Boss today just said "I know I saw today, I will fix it" when I pointed out that tax withholdings weren't on my paystub for the period in question, not sure what that's supposed to mean tho. 50/50 on whether I go in tomorrow or just say fuck it, will depend on how I feel tomorrow afternoon.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Something really bothered me yesterday and I thought this would be perfect for this here, but now I can't remember what it was. Fuck, that itself is starting to annoy me

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sometimes when checking out at the supermarket they print out some coupons for shit you buy with your receipt. Today I'm looking at the print out and it's got a bunch of items but I don't see anything about sale/price reduction. Then I read the bottom "This is not a coupon". Then why the fucking are you giving me this shit!??!?!

• 1WTF

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Sometimes when checking out at the supermarket they print out some coupons for shit you buy with your receipt. Today I'm looking at the print out and it's got a bunch of items but I don't see anything about sale/price reduction. Then I read the bottom "This is not a coupon". Then why the fucking are you giving me this shit!??!?!

Speaking of supermarket bullshit, how is it that 9/10 stores I've been to still don't seem to have a good self-checkout workflow for placing a grocery store paper bag on the register before I start scanning items? Questions fucking 1 and 2 should be 'are you using our bag or your bag?' and 'what's your loyalty card phone number?'

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Paper bag? Where do you live man? We ask for paper bags a lot and the kids have to scramble around looking for them.

a_skeleton_01

<Banned>
Paper bag? Where do you live man? We ask for paper bags a lot and the kids have to scramble around looking for them.

Seattle, where plastic bags are a hate crime. I like the paper bags a lot more than plastic tbh, even being charged a nickel a piece.

Last edited by a moderator:

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Seattle, where plastic bags are a hate crime. I like the paper bags a lot more than plastic tbh, even being charged a nickel a piece.
A nickle! Mohtherfuck, Commifornia charges me a dime a piece, for plastic or paper.

On that note, I'm pretty sure Raley's self-check does ask you if you are using your own bag first. I could be wrong, as I can't seem to get out of the grocery store without a full cart anymore (and I live alone!), so I haven't used it much in the past year. But I'm pretty sure they ask that somewhere in there, and I think it is right away.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Rustled myself. Had a bunch of Best Buy certificate rewards from my credit card with them that I had laying around, but I couldn't think of anything we wanted/needed at the time. Just realized today I could go pre-order the new Pokemon for November and went to go do that. Fucking certs all expired on the 15th, goddamnit. Could have nuked 3/4 of the price off the game. Oh well...

I've also just received my first juror questionnaire...not sure if rustled yet by that, but I am rustled that they can't even provide you with a pre-postaged envelope to send the damn thing back (guess I can just do it online, though, lol or not because I literally just changed my fucking name).