Whats rustling your jimmies?

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
As you and Burren say, yeah. Been already thinking about some mitigation. This will include having to explicitly tell certain other people to not dump problem customers onto me. My rates were already going up anyway. 120/hr tends to scare away a certain element.
Let’s see the tattoo

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Ac decided to half way die.

So blower motor is about to die(figured as much from how it sounded at the return). Guy quoted me $4500 to replace it and $11000 to replace the entire AC with a 14 seer 3.5 ton AC.

Jimmies further rustled by such blatant grifting. Guy should have at least gone with a 3 ton unit to not make it so obvious.

So now I sit here with my house at 82 degrees as my AC is limping along.

Last edited:

Goatface

Ac decided to half way die.

So blower motor is about to die(figured as much from how it sounded at the return). Guy quoted me $4500 to replace it and $11000 to replace the entire AC with a 14 seer 3.5 ton AC.

Jimmies further rustled by such blatant grifting. Guy should have at least gone with a 3 ton unit to not make it so obvious.

So now I sit here with my house at 82 degrees as my AC is limping along.

replacing to whole air handler? we replaced ours last year and supposed retail on the motor was $650, and that was told that was on the higher end.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
9/10 times an AC breaks it's a stupid capacitor. One died in my outside unit, one died in the attic unit. My blower broke last month, was only just under $400, you're getting ripped off.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
9/10 times an AC breaks it's a stupid capacitor. One died in my outside unit, one died in the attic unit. My blower broke last month, was only just under $400, you're getting ripped off.
have an extra cap for both the furnace fan and condensor

• 1Solidarity

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Turned out capaictor wasnt the issue, blower motor decided to finally die.

Annoying thing is the motor is an ecm motor. A "new" replacement is $400+, but picked up a used old for $145 off ebay. No AC in 105 degree heat will make you a religious man.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Getting emails from the electric company to keep the AC at 78 degrees because of the heat wave. Fuck off it is 110 here everyday. Need both AC and fan on to even stay cool.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Took my daughter to the city for the day to go to a trampoline place. Im so fucking tired of crowds, lines, etc. I godamn hate being in towns and cities with populations over 30k.

Edit: also, apparently I'm a minority in SE Washington

• 1Harrow
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm on a call right now with 8x engineers for the city of Portland. They all just introduced themselves and included their pronouns in the introductions.

• 4Worf
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 4 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I got a guy I've been tattooing for 2+ years. He's in bad shape. Had open heart surgery after getting sepsis started from a tooth infection, has a pacemaker in. Knew he did stints in jail and on drugs but usually had his shit together. Not today.

He showed up shirtless, soaked with sweat, tweaked out of his fucking mind. Has his 'girlfriend' with him that he's never mentioned once, who promptly shows up and goes in the bathroom for 10 minutes. As I'm prepping him he literally cannot stop moving. I smell the strangest odor. One of his eyes is bloodshot like he got punched. We get the stencil on and I lay him down and realize that his entire body is wafting with this overpowering plasticine sweat odor that I've only smelled out in the street in passing from the worst kind of druggies. It's either meth or crack cocaine.

Do I get to tell him to get the fuck out? Even as he admits that the giant bottle full of orange juice he brought is half vodka? I have half the mind to do so when he gets on the phone and starts yelling about some guy living in his apartment planning on doing a driveby, he's gonna beat some fucker up, all this crazy fucking shit that is so far removed from normal that I become frightened of speaking up. This is a person who could very well be HIV positive and I am put in the position of either A) kicking his ass out of the shop and dealing with the fallout or B) tattooing him despite the fact that he is shaking, sweating, and tweaked. I go with B because I've lived in the city all my life and I know standing up for yourself or making the wrong comment has gotten some fuckers killed.

Halfway through he bottoms out. He's passing out in the chair. Girlfriend tells me he hasn't been sleeping, but twice I have to physically use my body to stop him from rolling out onto the fucking floor. My room reeks of sickness. The stink is still here.

I'm so angry about it. I'm angry about my entire fucking job situation and the fact that as a 120-lb white chick I have to put up with literally anything that comes through the door. I hate I have to be nice and understanding of people that bring in their entire clown car of fucked up shit and dump it in my chair. I'm pissed I had to listen to some crackhead trying to fake a cool accent run her mouth the entire goddamn time. I'm angry that I did one of the best tattoos of my career on a guy that's going to be dead within a few years. I'm angry because it's been three fucking hours and I swear on my loved ones that the stench of burnt crack cocaine or meth sweat is stuck in my nostrils, despite a shower bomb, scrubbing, brushing my teeth, and washing my hair.

This sucks, but isn’t this also a bit of YGWYFD? If I open a weave shop, I know who my clientele will be…

Try mentholatum in your nostrils for the smell, that sometimes resets things.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
How many times did you slap each of them?
I'm already tired of of this proposal and I have plenty of shit to do, so I seriously considered just hanging up on them and unplugging my desk phone. If we didn't have a bunch of other projects underway for them already, I would have.

Edit - I was just bitching to this about the engineering manager in my office and he said that City of Portland employees are required to declare their pronouns in all communications, and so are consultants. I said "You should see what happens if someone tries to push that issue with me and my smartass mouth". He laughed and said "Invite me on the next call then, I want to witness you giving them all PTSD".

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Harrow
Reactions: 1 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
This sucks, but isn’t this also a bit of YGWYFD? If I open a weave shop, I know who my clientele will be…

Try mentholatum in your nostrils for the smell, that sometimes resets things.

Not really. I don't work in a dive shop, I'm 120/hr minimum specifically to keep my clientele in a certain...'range.' The reason dive shops fail (outside of the fact that they're oftentimes staffed by bad tattooers) is you're putting up with poor people bullshit all the time. They waste your time. They haggle. They skip appointments. They ask for unreasonable shit. You can't refuse service if Becky walks in and Xanax-trips all over the place while making her appointment, but if she misses one appointment that's it, she's got to wait 3 months to get back on the books. But the screening process is never gonna be 100% foolproof. I feel like the potential of dealing with poors/drunks/addicts/crazies is honestly no different in this job than any other forward-facing service career. Hell of a lot less than if I was an ER nurse or a bar wench or, yes, working in one of the shops that's within walking distance of Section 8.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Not really. I don't work in a dive shop, I'm 120/hr minimum specifically to keep my clientele in a certain...'range.' The reason dive shops fail (outside of the fact that they're oftentimes staffed by bad tattooers) is you're putting up with poor people bullshit all the time. They waste your time. They haggle. They skip appointments. They ask for unreasonable shit. You can't refuse service if Becky walks in and Xanax-trips all over the place while making her appointment, but if she misses one appointment that's it, she's got to wait 3 months to get back on the books. But the screening process is never gonna be 100% foolproof. I feel like the potential of dealing with poors/drunks/addicts/crazies is honestly no different in this job than any other forward-facing service career. Hell of a lot less than if I was an ER nurse or a bar wench or, yes, working in one of the shops that's within walking distance of Section 8.
You don't sound bitter at all...

• 2Worf
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Oh my god you're right. One incident that lead to a single conversation that resulted in a pay raise, a percentage change, full booking autonomy, and a pep talk about my legal rights in refusing service.

crying-wiping-tears-with-money.gif

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I feel like the potential of dealing with poors/drunks/addicts/crazies is honestly no different in this job than any other forward-facing service career. Hell of a lot less than if I was an ER nurse or a bar wench or, yes, working in one of the shops that's within walking distance of Section 8.

I'm not so sure about that. Sure bar maid will definitely deal with more drunks but it won't be one on one. Tattoo artist might be worst job regarding dealing with these people.