Whats rustling your jimmies?

TheWoodenHorse

Bronze Knight of the Realm
"Anonymous" corporate morale surveys that ask for what office and what division you're in. Yeah. There's 3 of us in the office in that division so what's anonymous again?

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
But what's the rational for banning self-serving pumps? Do the legislators think the people in these states are to stupid to pump gas? Or is it some corporate shit to drive up prices?

lurker

Vyemm Raider
But what's the rational for banning self-serving pumps? Do the legislators think the people in these states are to stupid to pump gas? Or is it some corporate shit to drive up prices?
On my trip, the gas in Oregon was cheaper than in neighboring Idaho and Washington so it's not because of pricing.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Jobs program. One passed they can't repeal it and put people out of work.

The Garden State self-service gas station ban dates back to 1949, when the New Jersey Legislature passed the Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Act, primarily over concerns about the safety of consumers pumping petroleum themselves.
And this. Gotta keep people employed.

Oregon and New Jersey are the only remaining "Pump For Me" states. Back in 1951, when Oregon first mandated that only trained station workers could put "Class 1 flammable liquids" into cars, the state mainly didn't want people accidentally blowing things up.

But despite big safety advances in pump and auto technology, Oregon voters and legislators have resisted changing things. In fact, the statute contains 17 justifications for the self-serve ban. They run the gamut from protecting small children left in cars to preventing spills to keeping older drivers from "unreasonable discomfort."

"The justification that's cited most often is that the law creates jobs," said Oregon State University economist Patrick Emerson. Of course, Emerson, who writes about "life, liberty and the pursuit of self-service gas" on his blog, is convinced the ban is not only archaic but actually drags down the economy.
$500 fine for pumping your own gas in OR.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Flight got redirected into newark and experienced this. Guy working the pump had to be 70 and was working 4 pumps, a native got out of his car and yelled "ya too schlow" in his face. Rudest and most uncomfortable shit I've experienced and my total time in state was hours.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Again, I don't have a problem with the concept. Many times I've shown up at a gas station in a tux on my way to a gig and the last thing I need is to smell like gasoline when I get there, so it would be nice if someone else could pump the gas for me. But the two stations I stopped at in OR had only one guy running a bunch of pumps. The wait was long, tempers were short compounded by assholes who just abandoned their cars to shop at the quicky-mart and the poor employee was run ragged, one on the verge of quitting right then.

The owners of these stations seem short sighted. They figure 1 employee for 12 pumps will save them money. People have to buy gas anyway so fuck 'em, let 'em wait. But the station could get people in and out quicker and sell more gas with two people working. Shit, if they had 3, everybody in town would go there for gas.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Why have 3 people working when every other place is just as shitty. Get mad? Go some place else you'll be back, not like you're going to pump it yourself.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I'll agree with Draegan on pumping gas in terrible NJ weather. Getting out of my nice warm car in the middle of freezing-cold February? Fuck that. Fuck that right in its ass.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Go to the bathroom and do my business, jump in the shower and right when I step in let loose a fart that smells like death. Combine that with the shower and end up creating poision fucking mist that ruined my entire morning.