Whats rustling your jimmies?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Damn. If anyone was too big to dive I would think it was me. But I've talked to a half dozen instructors about taking classes over the last couple years and not one has said anything about that. Does this bitch look more like Jabba the Hutt than a human?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Co worker is back from vacation. Apparently she tried to go scuba diving and was told she was too fat to dive. She then went to a US dive shop for confirmation and they told her the same thing. She's currently ranting about the "size-ist conspiracy" to anyone who will stand still for 15 seconds.
lol, is it gear or just that you can't actually sink?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I googled it and apparently, fat people are highly prone to dropping dead when submerged in water (hypertension and all that.) And then there's the whole problem of getting the bloated corpse back onto the boat. And now you're renting scuba gear that had a dead person in it.

Just guessing but they also might be afraid of attracting sharks and rogue chinese whalers.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
lol, is it gear or just that you can't actually sink?
You usually get either a weight belt or there are pockets in your scuba jacket to hold weights in to counter buoyancy. Though we did have one time with my mom, who is quite floaty, where her belt came off during the dive and our poor instructor had to hold onto her for dear life to keep her from rocketing back up to the surface until we could get it on again.

As for the bitch in the story, I can imagine they either didn't have a big enough vest for her fat ass or maybe just not enough weights. Been a long ass time since I did my diving training and I can't remember if PADI actually has any strict weight limits or something.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You usually get either a weight belt or there are pockets in your scuba jacket to hold weights in to counter buoyancy. Though we did have one time with my mom, who is quite floaty, where her belt came off during the dive and our poor instructor had to hold onto her for dear life to keep her from rocketing back up to the surface until we could get it on again.

As for the bitch in the story, I can imagine they either didn't have a big enough vest for her fat ass or maybe just not enough weights. Been a long ass time since I did my diving training and I can't remember if PADI actually has any strict weight limits or something.
Ah that makes sense. I've never been SCUBA diving but when I'm diving in pools I have to swim down usually only taking partial breaths, just enough to put back-pressure to prevent chlorine up the nose. I could certainly see where someone could get to the point that they couldn't really go 'down'.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Ah that makes sense. I've never been SCUBA diving but when I'm diving in pools I have to swim down usually only taking partial breaths, just enough to put back-pressure to prevent chlorine up the nose. I could certainly see where someone could get to the point that they couldn't really go 'down'.
Pretty much everyone has to carry some amount of weight (the idea is that with your buoyancy control device completely empty of air that you should sink reasonably quickly, then you use the BCD to set your buoyancy to neutral or slightly negative), unless they are lean as all fuck and not wearing any sort of a wet suit. Some skinny little dive masters in warm waters will go entirely without weights or even a BCD, but that's rare. I doubt that she was told to screw off because of that. It's likely either because they didn't have a BCD that would fit her fat ass, or they simply didn't feel she was physically capable of putting the gear on, getting in and out of the boat, etc etc.

Although maybe Kreugen's info plays a part as well. I don't recall that ever being raised in any of the diving courses I've taken, and I've dove with some pretty obese people. But I suppose that could make sense, as well. If someone's cardiovascular system is already pinned because of what a fat mess they are, then I don't imagine subjecting them to 2-4 times atmospheric pressure is going to do them any favors.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Webinars. Love them when the people hosting them have to talk for 15-20 minutes at the start to tell you what they are going to talk about in the acutal 30 minute webinar. Then have you take 5 polls and such. They manage to get 10-15 minutes of info crammed into an hour plus.

Best one ever was the lady had her laptop screen up at the start and our IT guy said "you're battery is about to die" since it was at 1%. She muted everyone and made a statement that there would be time for questions after she talked. Her battery died about 1 minute later and we just blew off the webinar lol.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Taking scuba now and they basically said you have to be in somewhat decent shape because the more your have to exert yourself the more likely you are to die.

I found this passage about a world class deep divers fatal dive where he basically became exhausted and died educational.
"Shaw died on 8 January 2005 while seeking to recover the body of Dreyer.[4][5]

Shaw recorded his dive with an underwater camera, which allowed researchers to determine that he suffered from respiratory issues due to the high pressure.[6][7] Shaw ran into difficulties when he cut loose Dreyer's harness and the body unexpectedly began to float. Shaw had been advised by various experts that the body would remain negatively buoyant because the visible parts were reduced to the skeleton. However, within his wetsuit, Dreyer's corpse had turned into a soap-like substance called adipocere, which floats. Shaw had been working with both hands, and so had been resting his can light on the cave floor. The powerful underwater lights that cave divers use are connected by wires to heavy battery canisters, normally worn on the cave diver's waist, or sometimes attached to their tanks. Normally he would have wrapped the wire behind his neck, but he was unable to do so; the lines from the body bag appear to have become entangled with the light head, and the physical effort of trying to free himself led to his death. The next day, both of the bodies floated up to near the surface as the dive team was retrieving their equipment.

The dive on which Shaw died was the 333rd dive of his career. At the time of his world record setting dive, he had been diving for just over five years."

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
1. you leaving blood on the toilet seat is 100 times worse than me leaving the seat up/dripping on the floor because urine is sterile and blood is not
2. you leave blood on the toilet seat more often than you think, because you don't ever see or clean the blood off the underside of the toilet seat

and yet somehow I'm the gross and inconsiderate one.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
1. you leaving blood on the toilet seat is 100 times worse than me leaving the seat up/dripping on the floor because urine is sterile and blood is not
2. you leave blood on the toilet seat more often than you think, because you don't ever see or clean the blood off the underside of the toilet seat

and yet somehow I'm the gross and inconsiderate one.
Did the person who told you urine was sterile also tell you that you can get gonorrhea from riding a tractor in your bathing suit?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Cheap gas, drop in ridership to force Amtrak budget cuts

This asshole really has no idea what it's like for us to work on board. Cutting back on hiring is just going to make it even less of a safe work environment. Why am I expected to work 3 different positions at the same time on the same trip? That shit ain't safe at all.
I thought making amtrak a total piece of shit was intentional because the auto industry had lobbied it so.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Did the person who told you urine was sterile also tell you that you can get gonorrhea from riding a tractor in your bathing suit?
No, but he did also tell him you could make napalm by mixing equal parts gasoline and frozen orange juice.

And Etwynn, I'm not saying blood on the toilet seat isn't gross, but if you piss on the floor,wipe that shit up.Jesus Christ.

Havent Killed Since 1984

Golden Knight of the Realm
Taking scuba now and they basically said you have to be in somewhat decent shape because the more your have to exert yourself the more likely you are to die.

I found this passage about a world class deep divers fatal dive where he basically became exhausted and died educational.
"Shaw died on 8 January 2005 while seeking to recover the body of Dreyer.[4][5]

Shaw recorded his dive with an underwater camera, which allowed researchers to determine that he suffered from respiratory issues due to the high pressure.[6][7] Shaw ran into difficulties when he cut loose Dreyer's harness and the body unexpectedly began to float. Shaw had been advised by various experts that the body would remain negatively buoyant because the visible parts were reduced to the skeleton. However, within his wetsuit, Dreyer's corpse had turned into a soap-like substance called adipocere, which floats. Shaw had been working with both hands, and so had been resting his can light on the cave floor. The powerful underwater lights that cave divers use are connected by wires to heavy battery canisters, normally worn on the cave diver's waist, or sometimes attached to their tanks. Normally he would have wrapped the wire behind his neck, but he was unable to do so; the lines from the body bag appear to have become entangled with the light head, and the physical effort of trying to free himself led to his death. The next day, both of the bodies floated up to near the surface as the dive team was retrieving their equipment.

The dive on which Shaw died was the 333rd dive of his career. At the time of his world record setting dive, he had been diving for just over five years."
Shaw's death had nothing to do with being (or not being) in decent shape, and everything to do with the narcotizing effects of oxygen when diving deep. Overexerting himself at that depth made him go to sleep, then drown, and the same would have happened to Michael Phelps.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Coworker has voice of the Nanny, complains about everything, takes extended breaks on the clock and refuses to do anything extra.
Me? When I walk into a mess, I clean it up and move on and have it tidy at the end of my shift.
She tells me she wants the supervisors to see how lazy our coworkers are so she literally restaged all the stuff I cleaned up.
I was off yesterday; when I came back, it was still 'staged'. She sees me looking at it and says, "Can you believe how lazy people are?" And she "catches me up" to all the bullshit drama I don't care about.