Whats rustling your jimmies?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I use Brave also and haven't had any ads on YouTube for a long time...until now. Literally just went to watch a video and it's attempting to play, but only the audio is coming through, not the video. I have it set to aggressively block ads, so not sure how these are suddenly getting through just now. Anyone else starting to get this?

e: looks like I'm not alone. Jimmies now rustled if this can't get patched soon.

Goatface

I use Brave also and haven't had any ads on YouTube for a long time...until now. Literally just went to watch a video and it's attempting to play, but only the audio is coming through, not the video. I have it set to aggressively block ads, so not sure how these are suddenly getting through just now. Anyone else starting to get this?

e: looks like I'm not alone. Jimmies now rustled if this can't get patched soon.

youtube posted a while back about being more proactive in forcing ads. uBlockOrigin users are reporting that some videos will never load with it active.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
I've been using Adblock Plus for youtube for years. No ads, no issues. So far.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
1691467143952.png

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I have to figure this out for my Nvidia shield (open to hardware replacement suggestions!), but yeah aside from that 0 ads on youtube for all my other devices. It's insufferable without it, like 2 15 second ads every other video.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This rant is about the people who still use those non-self-checkout aisles in the grocery story. There is something fucking wrong with them.

This isnt about the policy or what self checkout is like or anything like that. I'm talking about the people. Stick with me.

So yesterday I had to use the non-self-checkout aisle. I figured OK this won't be too bad, some people do this all the time, I can do it too. It won't be that bad. Mother of God, was I wrong.

The cashier (young hispanic dude) is telling the customer (a white woman who looks like she's seen her share of meth back in the day) about his business idea. Something aquarium related, I dunno because I'm stuck sitting here wondering WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU HAVING THIS CONVERSATION IN THE CHECKOUT?

A few minutes go by. The topic shifts to the prices of local Aquariums. The cashier contends that our local aquarium is an affordable form of enterntainment and lower priced than others. The woman contends that for a family, those "low priced" tickets really add up and it ends up being too expensive. Fascinating, but I'm forced again to wonder WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU HAVING THIS CONVERSATION IN THE CHECKOUT?

He's about halfway through her groceries now. The topic shifts to the economy. He expresses his wisdom that "I dunno why they can't just bring down the price of housing". She agrees, saying "its because somebodys gotta make money on it". At this stage I'm almost not mad because how can I be mad, receiving such priceless wisdom for free? I only wonder WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU HAVING THIS CONVERSATION IN THE CHECKOUT?

After we lock up all the LGBTQIA2sQWTF+ people in institutions where they belong, the very next people on the list are the kind of people who do this shit. We can lock them all up in a psyche ward together and they can have their fascinating conversations all day long.

What in the actual fuck is wrong with people

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This rant is about the people who still use those non-self-checkout aisles in the grocery story. There is something fucking wrong with them.

This isnt about the policy or what self checkout is like or anything like that. I'm talking about the people. Stick with me.

So yesterday I had to use the non-self-checkout aisle. I figured OK this won't be too bad, some people do this all the time, I can do it too. It won't be that bad. Mother of God, was I wrong.

The cashier (young hispanic dude) is telling the customer (a white woman who looks like she's seen her share of meth back in the day) about his business idea. Something aquarium related, I dunno because I'm stuck sitting here wondering WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU HAVING THIS CONVERSATION IN THE CHECKOUT?

A few minutes go by. The topic shifts to the prices of local Aquariums. The cashier contends that our local aquarium is an affordable form of enterntainment and lower priced than others. The woman contends that for a family, those "low priced" tickets really add up and it ends up being too expensive. Fascinating, but I'm forced again to wonder WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU HAVING THIS CONVERSATION IN THE CHECKOUT?

He's about halfway through her groceries now. The topic shifts to the economy. He expresses his wisdom that "I dunno why they can't just bring down the price of housing". She agrees, saying "its because somebodys gotta make money on it". At this stage I'm almost not mad because how can I be mad, receiving such priceless wisdom for free? I only wonder WHY THE ACTUAL FUCK ARE YOU HAVING THIS CONVERSATION IN THE CHECKOUT?

After we lock up all the LGBTQIA2sQWTF+ people in institutions where they belong, the very next people on the list are the kind of people who do this shit. We can lock them all up in a psyche ward together and they can have their fascinating conversations all day long.

Take a Xanax bro

• 3Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I don't get any ads at all. I haven't come across this issue... Yet. I have noticed that videos take longer to load but no ads.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I have to figure this out for my Nvidia shield (open to hardware replacement suggestions!), but yeah aside from that 0 ads on youtube for all my other devices. It's insufferable without it, like 2 15 second ads every other video.
Never replace your Shield.

Install SmartTube instead. SmartTubeNext APK 18.69 Download Official (2023)

You'll need to manually install the APK, but after that it self-updates without any effort from you (except saying Yes to the update).

It takes some getting used to because the UI is a lot different than the YouTube one, and you'll also have to get used to what it does, but once you do you'll love it. It completely removes any and all YT ads, of course, but it also has a pretty good ability to skip other shit too. I don't know if it works off of predictive stuff or people manually send in info or what, but it will put a little notification up in the upper right for stuff like in-video sponsors ("Get Raid Shadow Legends with my promo code!!!") or interaction reminders (Like and subscribe!) and you can either clear them out with the back key on your remote or skip that content by pressing the middle button. I'd say it is about 99% accurate with stuff like the in-video sponsors; just click the button and you're instantly to the spot where the real content starts up again.

Occasionally a video with a bunch of random clips and memes and stuff interspersed throughout will get a ton of content mislabeled as off-topic and it can get a little annoying with the little notification in the corner, but I'd say that happens less than once every couple hundred videos, so it isn't really a big deal.

The only issue I've seen so far is if you try to watch some of the free movies on YT. I almost never do that, but once I saw something I liked and thought I'd just put it on for a bit while I did something else, and it just sat there with a black screen and the trying to load spinning circle. So if you absolutely have to watch the free movies there, I guess you'll have to go back to the real YT app. But for everything else, fuck YouTube.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Never replace your Shield.

Install SmartTube instead. SmartTubeNext APK 18.69 Download Official (2023)

You'll need to manually install the APK, but after that it self-updates without any effort from you (except saying Yes to the update).

It takes some getting used to because the UI is a lot different than the YouTube one, and you'll also have to get used to what it does, but once you do you'll love it. It completely removes any and all YT ads, of course, but it also has a pretty good ability to skip other shit too. I don't know if it works off of predictive stuff or people manually send in info or what, but it will put a little notification up in the upper right for stuff like in-video sponsors ("Get Raid Shadow Legends with my promo code!!!") or interaction reminders (Like and subscribe!) and you can either clear them out with the back key on your remote or skip that content by pressing the middle button. I'd say it is about 99% accurate with stuff like the in-video sponsors; just click the button and you're instantly to the spot where the real content starts up again.

Occasionally a video with a bunch of random clips and memes and stuff interspersed throughout will get a ton of content mislabeled as off-topic and it can get a little annoying with the little notification in the corner, but I'd say that happens less than once every couple hundred videos, so it isn't really a big deal.

The only issue I've seen so far is if you try to watch some of the free movies on YT. I almost never do that, but once I saw something I liked and thought I'd just put it on for a bit while I did something else, and it just sat there with a black screen and the trying to load spinning circle. So if you absolutely have to watch the free movies there, I guess you'll have to go back to the real YT app. But for everything else, fuck YouTube.
For someone that doesn't watch videos, you sure have extensive knowledge of how to scrape the fat off the top sir!

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀

I’m sorry man but the picture of some wisp Mexican and methlady looking over to some purple faced guy quaking in his targeted ad t shirt while standing in checkout is hilarious

• 4Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Blocktube isn't for ads (I also use Brave). Its for filter out video topics you have no interest in. Since I watch a lot of music videos I could do without "Black people react to Tool!". There's nothing gained from it. Same reason I block youtube shorts due to it mostly being a bunch of tiktok level retarded stuff.
wha???
you don't like to see black ppl watch a video while eating kfc and jumping out of their seats!!!

das racist

blocktube is also great to just say no to youtube shorts and movies (who the fuck buys movies on youtube?)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
For someone that doesn't watch videos, you sure have extensive knowledge of how to scrape the fat off the top sir!
I watch videos all the time. I just can't easily listen to the audio while I'm at work. And when I'm at home, if I even remembered to think about it (spoiler alert: I don't), there's absolutely no fucking way I'm wasting my precious time watching the stuff you link! I did that a few times and learned my lesson. Fool me once, blah blah.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
The guy I've been trying to hire (as my boss) for years keeps getting promoted at his company and is now the VP. He's trying to get me to come work for him and is getting serious about it. But I want to work with him in a technical capacity, not upper management/sales/marketing. I know he'd have me flying all over the fucking world to peacock at trade shows and conferences, but all I want to do is go to the office, play with my kid and play in my garage. I hate cities.

• 4Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I’m sorry man but the picture of some wisp Mexican and methlady looking over to some purple faced guy quaking in his targeted ad t shirt while standing in checkout is hilarious
Fair enough, I was rustled, I am not gonna deny it.

I think everyone in the thread, even that dude who loooooves chattin up the cashiers, would have been rustled by it.

It probably lasted a good 7 minutes.

If transcribed into text it would have been longer than a short story, but shorter than a novel.

And both of them were just goin about it like this was a perfectly normal non fucking psychotic thing to do in the checkout line.

• 1Worf

Haus

<Silver Donator>

I saw the form of the apocolypse this last weekend involving self-checkout.
The Wally world near my house has , as most have, gone to almost all self checkout with MAYBE 2 old school registers left. I dropped in because I needed two things. I grab them in a minute or two and start to head out. I then see the line... from the front of the store all the way to the back and into the dairy section. All the self checkout kiosks were down. I dropped my two things and decided they would just have to be purchased at the local Tom Thumb instead and left.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Goatface

my recent trip to walmart, got one of those $1 off coupons that is stuck to the item. self check out, "product does not match coupon" check coupon and item all is good. scan the coupon again. same message, but now register is locked and saying help is coming. no one comes, look around and all 3 chicks working are gabbing. get one to come over, she enters codes, scans, still rejected. she hands the coupon back, "it should work, but we are no longer allowed to input them anymore, sorry"

• 1Rustled