Whats rustling your jimmies?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
At my company, you have to answer your secret questions over the phone whenever you call the helpdesk in order to verify your identity. And if you put some bullshit in there, they will make you fix it.

Seriously, and IT people wonder why everyone hates them. Maybe if you didn't act like an arrogant prick all the time with regards to IT policies that don't remotely reflect objective reality, people wouldn't give you so much shit all the time. At work, I have six different passwords. One to actually log into the computer, one to log into Citrix Desktop, one for Antrim, one for Co-Path, one to look at/print out my pay stub, and a sixth one I forget because I never use the application. According to policy, all these passwords must be different, and all must be at least 12 characters consisting of mixed case and symbols. They must be changed at different intervals ranging from 90 days to six months, and no new password can be substantially similar to the previous password. Also, according to policy, we must memorize all these passwords and never write them down anywhere, and they have security occasionally check for people putting passwords on post-its and leaving them on the computers. The system also tracks your "access pattern" and will lock you out if it detects something abnormal, I have no idea how this shit is programmed but I get locked out at least once per quarter. When I get locked out, I of course have to call the helpdesk and go through their stupid troubleshooting script even though I have the error code in front of me and they of course have the ability to check to see if my account is actually locked as I claim. No, we need to restart the computer and check all the connections first before we'll help you.

Healthcare IT can die in a goddamn fire.
Not really IT's fault that the company puts as many fail safes in place so that customer data can't be stolen. You think it's annoying to call into the helpdesk once a quarter because you get locked out? Try dealing with the same call 200 times a fucking day because morons can't remember their passwords. You ready for this, I'm about to blow your god damn mind. Password 1: ThisIsMyPassword1, Password 2: ThisIsMyPassword2, etc. You can just change the last number digit at the end and cycle through it everytime it needs changed. Write it down, put it in your wallet, PROBLEM SOLVED. Better yet, save it on a note in your smart phone and just update it every time you have to refresh it.

Siliconemelons

At my company, you have to answer your secret questions over the phone whenever you call the helpdesk in order to verify your identity. And if you put some bullshit in there, they will make you fix it.

Seriously, and IT people wonder why everyone hates them. Maybe if you didn't act like an arrogant prick all the time with regards to IT policies that don't remotely reflect objective reality, people wouldn't give you so much shit all the time. At work, I have six different passwords. One to actually log into the computer, one to log into Citrix Desktop, one for Antrim, one for Co-Path, one to look at/print out my pay stub, and a sixth one I forget because I never use the application. According to policy, all these passwords must be different, and all must be at least 12 characters consisting of mixed case and symbols. They must be changed at different intervals ranging from 90 days to six months, and no new password can be substantially similar to the previous password. Also, according to policy, we must memorize all these passwords and never write them down anywhere, and they have security occasionally check for people putting passwords on post-its and leaving them on the computers. The system also tracks your "access pattern" and will lock you out if it detects something abnormal, I have no idea how this shit is programmed but I get locked out at least once per quarter. When I get locked out, I of course have to call the helpdesk and go through their stupid troubleshooting script even though I have the error code in front of me and they of course have the ability to check to see if my account is actually locked as I claim. No, we need to restart the computer and check all the connections first before we'll help you.

Its the current state of IT education, they have attached metrics to password complexity - and there are many "standards" that have equations that will state a password with 6+ char and 2+ special and 2+ capital will equate to a 9848559383736 year auto decryption crack and a 99.9999% secure rate over our current password policy that is only a 487273 year decrypt crack rate and 99.998% secure- the upper management loves to have "an actionable plan" to combat "the extreme threat to the company of rouge hackers" - although improper user access is rarely the door used...anywho... this is all taught heavily in the IT security and IT management classes- I wrote many papers and discussion posts on the fallacy of this- most people in these class paths are upper management getting "acquainted" with tech or students that have never held a real IT job attempting to jump into supervisor/manager role out of college- I come with years of desktop support behind me and basically sum it up with "The more password restrictions beyond a reasonable measure, the post it notes with their passwords stuck to their keyboard or desk increase exponentially, no amount of password complexity will stop a valid stolen password." But they just say "people are not supposed to do that." well...yeah, good luck with that.

edit:
Sutekh explains the problem in the solution...

lurker

Vyemm Raider
...cycle through iteverytime it needs changed...
This grammar error rustles my jimmies. I don't know if it's some feature of the device people are using to post with or laziness or some new edgy way to write, but is it so fucking hard to add the two little words "to be" to the sentence? There, I said it. I feel a little better and I hope there's no grammar or spelling errors in what I just wrote.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Seriously, and IT people wonder why everyone hates them. Maybe if you didn't act like an arrogant prick all the time with regards to IT policies that don't remotely reflect objective reality, people wouldn't give you so much shit all the time.

Re: First line, which rustles me. A lot of the password complexity and standards IT/Help Desk staff have to enforce aren't mandated by them, you can hate them if you want but it's misdirected at someone who had little to no say in the actual policies being put in place. You can look to the managers and security personnel if you want to blame anyone for that. At my current job if you didn't literally follow every security check when resetting a users password it was actually cause for dismissal, end users bitching and moaning doesn't really register as a "Give a shit worthy" problem to us worth being terminated for.

Last line doesn't rustle me it does however lend some insight into why your password count and the complexity of them is annoying. Health Care is a bureaucratic hell that i'd rather get a job working in retail again rather than do IT in that kind of environment.

e: missed Sutekh's post, spot on.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
This grammar error rustles my jimmies. I don't know if it's some feature of the device people are using to post with or laziness or some new edgy way to write, but is it so fucking hard to add the two little words "to be" to the sentence? There, I said it. I feel a little better and I hope there's no grammar or spelling errors in what I just wrote.
I think it's more than I don't really care. English was my worst subject therefore I rebel against it.

ezcw_sl

shitlord
DirecTV's channel guide ticking in 30 minute chunks and the TV shows that end at weird times. I just want to change the channel, fine the showing is over, no I don't want to record, stop taking me to this screen because I clicked a minute too early. If the show is over, why the fuck is it still there!!

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I think it's more than I don't really care. English was my worst subject therefore I rebel against it.
Nah, it's not just you. I see it on every forum I frequent. That's why I think it might be some auto-complete feature or something similar. It grates. I love English.

Pinch_sl

shitlord
This grammar error rustles my jimmies. I don't know if it's some feature of the devicewith whichpeople are using to post,or laziness,or some new edgy way to write, but is it so fucking hard to add the two little words "to be" to the sentence? There, I said it. I feel a little better,and I hope thereareno grammar or spelling errors in what I just wrote.

rrr_img_82154.png

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
People who drive with dogs on their laps. Small dog, big dog, window down or up, fuck each and every dangerous stupid one of them.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Nah, it's not just you. I see it on every forum I frequent. That's why I think it might be some auto-complete feature or something similar. It grates. I love English.
It sounds like an incorrect variation on the structuresomething needs verb-ing, like "the car needs washing" or "the lawn needs mowing." It's similar to when people say things like "I've already ate" instead of "I've already eaten," which is quite common in certain places and from certain people.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Not really IT's fault that the company puts as many fail safes in place so that customer data can't be stolen. You think it's annoying to call into the helpdesk once a quarter because you get locked out? Try dealing with the same call 200 times a fucking day because morons can't remember their passwords. You ready for this, I'm about to blow your god damn mind. Password 1: ThisIsMyPassword1, Password 2: ThisIsMyPassword2, etc. You can just change the last number digit at the end and cycle through it everytime it needs changed. Write it down, put it in your wallet, PROBLEM SOLVED. Better yet, save it on a note in your smart phone and just update it every time you have to refresh it.
They actually have some kind of check for similar passwords, if you try to go for "password2" it says its too similar and won't accept it.

Of course, I do just keep the passwords in my phone. This is not technically allowed either, but everyone does something like this. What annoys me is IT is putting out policies it damn well knows nobody will follow and then acts annoyed/surprised/angry when they figure out nobody is following them.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
They actually have some kind of check for similar passwords, if you try to go for "password2" it says its too similar and won't accept it.

Of course, I do just keep the passwords in my phone. This is not technically allowed either, but everyone does something like this. What annoys me is IT is putting out policies it damn well knows nobody will follow and then acts annoyed/surprised/angry when they figure out nobody is following them.
It shouldn't annoy you that people are doing their jobs!

Telestin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What annoys me is these sluts who use social media to trick people into donating money to them. I just sit back and watch in morbid curiosity as people get screwed out of their money. No, I have not donated any money. But I know a few people who have.

Case in point is the "model" Fate aka Nikki Townsend aka Destiny Townsend. She recently made a post saying she was homeless and made a GoFundMe page to raise money for her to move from the east coast to the west coast.http://www.gofundme.com/FateMove. She raises over $1300 in a couple of hours, and then her social media shows pictures of her partying, new stuff she bought and a trip she took with the money.

Here is her "fan" pagehttps://www.facebook.com/00Fateand here is her personal pagehttps://www.facebook.com/eviternovices. You can see how fucked up she is.

The sad thing is . . I'm betting you all know someone just like her.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What annoys me is these sluts who use social media to trick people into donating money to them. I just sit back and watch in morbid curiosity as people get screwed out of their money. No, I have not donated any money. But I know a few people who have.

Case in point is the "model" Fate aka Nikki Townsend aka Destiny Townsend. She recently made a post saying she was homeless and made a GoFundMe page to raise money for her to move from the east coast to the west coast.http://www.gofundme.com/FateMove. She raises over $1300 in a couple of hours, and then her social media shows pictures of her partying, new stuff she bought and a trip she took with the money.

Here is her "fan" pagehttps://www.facebook.com/00Fateand here is her personal pagehttps://www.facebook.com/eviternovices. You can see how fucked up she is.

The sad thing is . . I'm betting you all know someone just like her.
Zero sympathy for the fucking retards who fall for that shit.

My Rustle of the day: Can't play this stupid, unimportant, mind-wasting game that I'd been looking forward to playing and it's likely the whole weekend I won't be able to either, because they can't get their shit together.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
What gets me is how mainstream media, its TV specifically I'm referring to, feel the need to be "in touch" with their audience and be "interactive" in that they like to run twitter messages onscreen and prompt people to send them in.

To explain, the G20 is being held in Brisbane, I'm watching Barack Obama's speech at one of the state's largest Universities. But during the speech they're popping up various tweets fromwhogivesafucksome teenagers stupid msg about "OMG he said fourex LOL"

Why does the TV station think that anyone is interested in the tweets of some random person. It's not anything that should or could be considered news worthy or a gauge of public opinion. Just stop it, it's about as relevant as graffiti on a toilet wall.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I assume its the same idea why the shithole known as twitch is so popular, interaction. ZOMG MY TWEETS ON TV GUYS! ZOMG GUYS THIS STREAMER JUST READ MY MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just stop it, it's about as relevant as graffiti on a toilet wall.
Speaking of which, toilet stall graffiti rustles my jimmies.

But what I came here to drop a bitch on is that no matter what lamp I try to use in my house has the switch rotated perfectly away from the most convenient direction. Every time I rotate it back to where my fingers would naturally want it to be and then the cycle repeats itself the next time I try to use it.
Does it slowly reset itself.. or is my fiance' opposite to me and resets them all manually? I don't know, but its fucking annoying - like rubbing a wall in the dark knowing that damned switch is there somewhere.

Replican_sl

shitlord
Every time I leave the room I hear a big play happen in whatever game I was watching. For instance as I type this Penn State just scored.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finding out the milk you just poured over your bowl of ice cream is sour.

And this was a sealed jug of milk with an expiration date 5 days from now.

Mega rustled.