Wheel of Time series

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm 200 pages into The Dragon Reborn and I'm already contemplating skipping most of the chapters about the girls, they just get so bogged down with prattling on about some of the dumbest shit. If there weren't tidbits of important story elements here and there, I'd skip them in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I've been really enjoying getting back into these books. I grew up in a very rural area, tramping the woods on my grandfather's farm, and then moved to "civilization" after I got older, so the books following 3 farm boys from the Two Rivers getting thrust into the world, has always firmly checked a box I didn't realize I had till I got older. I've put off finishing them because I just never wanted them to really be over, but it is time to finish them, for better or worse.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'm 200 pages into The Dragon Reborn and I'm already contemplating skipping most of the chapters about the girls, they just get so bogged down with prattling on about some of the dumbest shit. If there weren't tidbits of important story elements here and there, I'd skip them in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I've been really enjoying getting back into these books. I grew up in a very rural area, tramping the woods on my grandfather's farm, and then moved to "civilization" after I got older, so the books following 3 farm boys from the Two Rivers getting thrust into the world, has always firmly checked a box I didn't realize I had till I got older. I've put off finishing them because I just never wanted them to really be over, but it is time to finish them, for better or worse.
You’ll be wanting to skip every Faille and Perrin chapter. Egwene chapters are pretty good just because of the plot arc she is involved in later, Nynaeve is hit or miss (she’s a terrible character), and Elaynes are pretty forgettable but not awful.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This series is great the first few books. Maybe the TV show could be too. Anyone expecting game of thrones can laughably be ignored, though. This series is nothing like GOT at all.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Started book 5 this morning before work, already 100 pages in. I'm pretty sure if I didn't post a pic on these forums, it'd be some kind of blasphemy. This was my favorite of the books that I've read when I was younger, really interested to see if it holds up, I've been surprised by how much different I feel rereading the first 4 so far. Great books still, Jordan does an awesome job with character growth for most characters in the earlier half of the series, it has been interesting how age and maturity have altered the reasons I enjoy these books. The more I find myself rereading books I haven't read since high school, I realize how much shit I didn't pick up on, partially because I consumed them so quickly in short bursts with year long gaps between some of the books because my local library fucking sucked as a kid.

20190712_200002.jpg

• 3Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I finally found a good, super high resolution map that should be spoiler free, to help with following along for anyone interested.

wheel_of_time___western_lands_by_sevenbridges.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Started book 5 this morning before work, already 100 pages in. I'm pretty sure if I didn't post a pic on these forums, it'd be some kind of blasphemy. This was my favorite of the books that I've read when I was younger, really interested to see if it holds up, I've been surprised by how much different I feel rereading the first 4 so far. Great books still, Jordan does an awesome job with character growth for most characters in the earlier half of the series, it has been interesting how age and maturity have altered the reasons I enjoy these books. The more I find myself rereading books I haven't read since high school, I realize how much shit I didn't pick up on, partially because I consumed them so quickly in short bursts with year long gaps between some of the books because my local library fucking sucked as a kid.

View attachment 214974

I was going to say something derogatory about your taste due to the poster on the wall, but if that’s a (albeit odd version) meeseeks in the bottom right, I’ll waive it.

• 1Solidarity

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
That is a meeseek's, the wall poster was a gift from my wife who assumes that because I like Star Wars, I like ALL Star Wars.... le sigh.

• 1Worf

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm about half way through book 9.... fuckin shoot me already, even skimming some of the worst chapters, it's starting to drag a bit. Book 8 was a pleasant surprise though, realized a couple hundred pages in, I had never read Path of Daggers before apparently. God it sucked trying to find these books in sequence from the library when I was younger, and I though PoD was a pretty decent book overall, still can't believe I hadn't ever managed to pick it up. I've definitely read Winter's Heart, I was hoping it would be better after reading PoD, maybe I had missed stuff that would have made it better... nope lol.

They are also black washing the Two Rivers.... What little hopes I had for the TV show are officially dead, already sliding down the slippery slope (not that I didn't expect it), and with a series this heavily detailed my money is on it falling apart really fast. Sucks, Rosamund Pike as Moiraine peaked my interest and allowed a small kernel of hope to grow.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Finished the first book! On to the Great Hunt.

I want more Wolf Brother!

Book 5 done! You may have heard the name before, The Fires of Heaven! Feels kinda satisfying to finaly read the namesake of this website (and the guild of course)

I skipped s few of the girl chapters, man those bitches like to babble. Hope they get better. Faile is my most hated character, what a cunt.
Killed my love for wolf bro. Tricking Loyial like that.

I feel like it’s taken Rand forever to scream fuck you at the world and teleport into an enemy stronghold to just destroy mother fuckers... was worth it, even if Nineveh had to help.

I assume moraine and lanfear are still alive somehow?

Hope the next...9 books can be as good

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Maul

Dental Dammer
Book 5 done! You may have heard the name before, The Fires of Heaven! Feels kinda satisfying to finaly read the namesake of this website (and the guild of course)

I skipped s few of the girl chapters, man those bitches like to babble. Hope they get better. Faile is my most hated character, what a cunt.
Killed my love for wolf bro. Tricking Loyial like that.

I feel like it’s taken Rand forever to scream fuck you at the world and teleport into an enemy stronghold to just destroy mother fuckers... was worth it, even if Nineveh had to help.

I assume moraine and lanfear are still alive somehow?

Hope the next...9 books can be as good
You're half right.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
All the things you said you don’t like become the only things in a few of the books

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
The Battle of Dumai's Wells remains one of my favorite chapters/scenes that I've ever read. So he still has that to look forward to!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users