Wheel of Time

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This looked pretty bad and I’m willing to bet money they go way over the top with the woman good, man bad angle. Then add in all the braid pulling while bickering between themselves.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
yeah if you're gonna go woke and insist to rainbow road your cast and mix it up all up with shades of brown, why not at least hire crazy attractive people? Shadow And Bones from Netflix is full of a diverse cast but they are all pretty smoking hot so I enjoyed the show.

the cast of wheel of time looks like people I see every day. I feel bad for women, the dudes look like mostly homeless guys except for the asian guy. matt looks like a recovering meth addict, perrin looks like he is 5 minutes away from a 20 year domestic abuse prison stint, and the redhead looks like a serial killer.

https%3A%2F%2Fwinteriscoming.net%2Ffiles%2F2020%2F05%2FEESO56WWkAA3Lyt-850x560.jpeg

the women aren't ugly but they aren't hollywood hot, and all we used to get on movies and TV is hollywood hot except for the one single character actor who you could rely on to actually carry the acting and looked like Steve Buscemi, Michael Shannon, Kathy Bates, Margo Martindale, etc.

i can't wait for the reboot of 50 Shades of Grey starring Danny DeVito and Melissa McCarthy
I have a thing for Rosamund Pike. I think she is sexy and there would be much debauchery if she would allow it.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Saw the trailer on TV last night. I was pleasantly surprised by parts. While Lan's casting remains odd, he looked better in action. Moraine looks good.

But goddam, the fugly black chick is just so jarring. Ghetto Starfire jarring.

Not sure who thats supposed to be, and doesnt really matter. Every scene where she pops her head in its like one of those live action movies with a cartoon character it it. Where its obvious that the character isnt even a part of the same reality as the setting.

Fucking idiots

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Saw the trailer on TV last night. I was pleasantly surprised by parts. While Lan's casting remains odd, he looked better in action. Moraine looks good.

But goddam, the fugly black chick is just so jarring. Ghetto Starfire jarring.

Not sure who thats supposed to be, and doesnt really matter. Every scene where she pops her head in its like one of those live action movies with a cartoon character it it. Where its obvious that the character isnt even a part of the same reality as the setting.

Fucking idiots
I think you're talking about Suian, who is from Tear. The casting, again, shows that they have NO intention of following the story of the books. The books are only a reference from which to make their own abridged story about women fighting evil men.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
interesting comparison to mull over, here is the original first trailer for Game of Thrones

GoT I think did something unexpected: it bridged the fans of HBO who were into Sopranos, Rome, True Detective, Wire, etc - with fantasy fans. Season 1 and the trailer of GoT was ALL about personal drama aka people sitting around talking a lot. It didn't really heavily focus on fantasy for a good while.

Which makes a lot of sense, fantasy people are already going to be all in, they are thirsty for more. But the general audience who are into Law & Order or Sopranos or Grey's Anatomy maybe don't want high concept fantasy or sci-fi shows, they want the HBO touch adult dramas that focus on family, something everyone can relate to.

The first trailer of Wheel of Time leans far more heavily into fantasy, with about 70% of the trailer involving fantasy landscapes, magic, or high fantasy.

It'll be interesting to see if broad audiences respond to that or just shrug it off as "meh, not for me". Maybe Game of Thrones changed people's tastes?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
GoT I think did something unexpected: it bridged the fans of HBO who were into Sopranos, Rome, True Detective, Wire, etc - with fantasy fans. Season 1 and the trailer of GoT was ALL about personal drama aka people sitting around talking a lot. It didn't really heavily focus on fantasy for a good while.

The first trailer of Wheel of Time leans far more heavily into fantasy, with about 70% of the trailer involving fantasy landscapes, magic, or high fantasy.
To be fair, the books were like this too. GoT was basically 99% personal drama and backstabbing/scheming. Magic stuff was very minor and slowly built up in comparison.

And I don't think we have too much evidence that this show is gonna jump the shark yet. There's definitely some concerning stuff, but I remember how horrible witcher looked on the first take and that turned out to be good fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
To be fair, the books were like this too. GoT was basically 99% personal drama and backstabbing/scheming. Magic stuff was very minor and slowly built up in comparison.

This pretty much - it wasn't the trailer or the show treatment that bridged the gap with other genre fans, it was the stories themselves. The white walkers are pretty much there as a backdrop to highlight how short-sighted their political bickering is.

The same is, in no way, true of Wheel of Time. It starts as a cheap Tolkien knockoff, which sort of grows into it's own thing as the story goes on, but it's still mostly black and white good guys vs the great evil that is behind pretty much everything.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
The white walkers are pretty much there as a backdrop to highlight how short-sighted their political bickering is.
UNLESS, that is, there is a plucky young girl with a knife around.

then they may freely ignore the white walkers and carry on with political bickering

• 2Worf

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If I'm assigned male at birth but self identify as female, which half of the one power do I use?

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
If I'm assigned male at birth but self identify as female, which half of the one power do I use?

I realise this is probably rhetorical virtue signalling rather than a real question, but it's actually answered in the series. The one you are born with, even if you literally take over a completely different body of the opposite gender.

• 2Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I realise this is probably rhetorical virtue signalling rather than a real question, but it's actually answered in the series. The one you are born with, even if you literally take over a completely different body of the opposite gender.
I know it's answered in the series, that's the point. I wonder if the TV series will be faithful in this aspect.

Pointing out potential logical inconsistencies isn't really virtue signalling.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know it's answered in the series, that's the point. I wonder if the TV series will be faithful in this aspect.

Pointing out potential logical inconsistencies isn't really virtue signalling.
I can't see them going past Eye of the World, so getting to a point where such an issue would need to be addressed probably won't happen. If it does, they can't really skip it since its a huge plot point during Egwene's story parts.

• 2Like

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
When do we see Avienda? If she is red haired, Ygrette like, but hotter, then maybe some of the blunders are forgiven?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
When do we see Avienda? If she is red haired, Ygrette like, but hotter, then maybe some of the blunders are forgiven?

while we might see some proto-aiel (before the breaking) in season 1, I doubt we get to elayne or avienda. the show is already greenlit for season 2, so those characters will likely show up next season.

it is interesting to think about where season 1 will end. I seriously doubt it'll get to the Eye of the World which is the end of book 1. Season 1 is only 8 episodes.

I bet they will load up a bit of "3000 years ago" show time to do some world building, so its possible season 1 won't even get through half of book 1 while moving some stuff from later books in. The Expanse, Game of Thrones, etc all did something similar.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Elayne was just only recently cast so she’s definitely season 2. I believe someone said during a Q&A on Instagram that season 1 is going to have events from both the first and second books so they are definitely mixing things up.