Wheel of Time

Sevens

Log Wizard
Who is Shad?

In the books breaking out of shields is possible but harder than just blocking the weaves from forming the shield. The stronger you are versus the person holding the shield the easier it is to break, but still hard. If there is a certain # of people maintaining the shield then you’re fucked and can’t break it, so the reds travel together in huge packs so they can always have that number holding the shield in place, and rotate people out for rest.

Hands were not required in the books. Movement isn’t even required period, it’s all mental. Just more stupid show changes.
While you are correct in saying hands or movement isnt required the book did also say a lot of the women picked up bad habits for weaving and now cant do it without the hand gestures / movements

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This show seems super half-baked.

A lot of the scenes are just hyper-unexplainable. One example is the battle where the kings army randomly appears over the top of the hill and like 7 witches that can contain the greatest power in the land can't handle them and are just making the ground go boom incredibly ineffeciently.

Another example is when the barkeep wench RANDOMLY OUT OF NOWHERE is out to get the two separated guys and then the older guy RANDOMLY OUT OF NOWHERE shows up to kill her.

Another, is how the asian witch-protector took them into the city of the damned. WTF!? They didn't go through it, they literally made camp. And then the lazy kid goes down dark creepy passages, until he finds a BURIED CHEST, only to do the one thing they were told not to do. And when Moraine wakes up, she's immediately like, "You've killed us!". NO SHIT!? Why did he do that? And then they just ignore it after they escape. Nobody cares or talks about it. WTF!?

The last example is how the RANDOM FRIEND THAT BARELY MATTERS is suddenly more powerful than all the witches combined!? LEFT FIELD! WHY? And we only learn this after witch-protector guy does an equally unexplainable thing and explodes his axe into everyone throats! WTF!?

NOTHING MAKES SENSE! This is the only show in recent memory where I'll watch half an episode, get super bored or annoyed, turn it off, and then come back a day or two later to finish it, bc wtf else am I gonna watch?

I did like the gypsy people though. That was the only decent world-building part thus far. Everything else feels like a forced soap opera.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
This show seems super half-baked.

A lot of the scenes are just hyper-unexplainable. One example is the battle where the kings army randomly appears over the top of the hill and like 7 witches that can contain the greatest power in the land can't handle them and are just making the ground go boom incredibly ineffeciently.

Another example is when the barkeep wench RANDOMLY OUT OF NOWHERE is out to get the two separated guys and then the older guy RANDOMLY OUT OF NOWHERE shows up to kill her.

Another, is how the asian witch-protector took them into the city of the damned. WTF!? They didn't go through it, they literally made camp. And then the lazy kid goes down dark creepy passages, until he finds a BURIED CHEST, only to do the one thing they were told not to do. And when Moraine wakes up, she's immediately like, "You've killed us!". NO SHIT!? Why did he do that? And then they just ignore it after they escape. Nobody cares or talks about it. WTF!?

The last example is how the RANDOM FRIEND THAT BARELY MATTERS is suddenly more powerful than all the witches combined!? LEFT FIELD! WHY? And we only learn this after witch-protector guy does an equally unexplainable thing and explodes his axe into everyone throats! WTF!?

NOTHING MAKES SENSE! This is the only show in recent memory where I'll watch half an episode, get super bored or annoyed, turn it off, and then come back a day or two later to finish it, bc wtf else am I gonna watch?

I did like the gypsy people though. That was the only decent world-building part thus far. Everything else feels like a forced soap opera.
Yep, that’s what happens when they butcher the story and cut lots of content at the same time. They forget to include scenes that explain why things matter, what is motivating someone, what they can and can’t do with the Power. Why someone was around to kill the dark friend.

For example, Thom the bard guy, he was at the farm village from the start. He went with the group when they left the town (for a reason revealed later) He was with the two boys the entire time, traveling with them. He did not show up out of nowhere in the book like he did in the show.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hand waving for weaves is fine but the show needs to find balance between minimal hand waving and whatever the fuck Moiraine is doing, which is entirely too much compared to every other Aes Sedai on the show.

If the show makes it to later seasons they can explain how those who are more powerful don't need to do it, and then some things can be done without the hand waving... like why does someone need to do it for lightning? or for shielding? Fireballs, ground rupture, etc. I could see justification in it.

But again, Moiraine is doing like an interpretive dance for her weaves and she needs to tone it the fuck down.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caliane

again, not read the books.

are magical items a thing in this world? or cursed? is the knife magical, cursed? or is it just Tom and the taint?

Sterling

El Presidente

are magical items a thing in this world? or cursed? is the knife magical, cursed? or is it just Tom and the taint?
There are some items related to the power, but calling the dagger cursed is a reasonable way to describe it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob

the knife is so cursed the actor got thrown off the TV show and was recast for season 2

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Cyrr

Trakanon Raider
This show feels like a video-game adaptation, not a book adaptation.

And by that I mean it's fucking bad.
Yeah i can't help but think of this as Legend of the Seeker if they developed it in 2020 - 2021 or so, budget and all. Except i really liked Legend of the Seeker (for what it was and when it released), i go back and rewatch parts of it all the time. This Wheel of Time adaptation? So much wrong with it (especially as somebody familiar with the books, but maybe because i've read them).

It's even more ridiculous when you consider what the supposed budget was per episode, something like $10m or 3x The Expanse. Worse still when you wonder where the fuck that money went, it definitely didn't go to the no name actors that nobody's heard of (sure, they want relatively unknown actors that they can pay well and keep for multiple seasons, not having to worry about scheduling conflicts with big names etc, but still).

All things considered i'm not exactly looking forward to seeing how the LOTR adaptation is. Say what you will about some of the seasons of it, but at least The Expanse was fuckin' beautiful (especially in 4k) and had a great cast in general.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Yes to both. There are various types of magical items and each type has a different name. (I’m probably going to fuck up the names and spellings.) There are items that amplify a users amount of power they can pull in “angrael”, there are items that greatly to vastly amplify it “sa’angrael”. Those are solely made for channelers and amplifying.

There are items that are magical and only serve one very specific function, Ta’angrael. Some can be used by magic users, some can be used by anyone. Some items are used by current people for functions they had no intention of being used for when they were made, the knowledge was lost to time. Some they have no idea what they do. Some people have lost the ability to channel or died by using them wrong. Some are locked away in various places, some are kept by royalty, some are used by armies or aes sedai, etc.

The Oath Rod Moiraine mentioned to Ugwene (and they showed a scene with) is a Ta’angrael. When trainees get to the point of becoming an aes sedai they must swear oaths while holding the rod. It forces them to those oathes. They literally can not lie, use the power as a weapon unless as a defense for their life. They bend the truth like a mother fucker though which is why they showed that scene of her explaining how she was able to fool the white cloaks with false stories. There was enough truth in her stories she could say it. She wouldn’t have been able to say “I have never been to the two rivers” for example. If they try to lie it doesn’t come out at all or they choke on their words or something, I forget.

These items all take whatever shape possible, when they were made. From little gemstones, to tiny statues, to swords, rods, helmets, door frames, massive statues, literally anything. There are also just magically imbued buildings, weapons, bridges that aren’t really magical in a sense that they do anything extra. But they can stay sharp forever, never rot, etc. “This sword was power wrought” means someone did something with the power to enhance it in some way.

Cursed items, yes too. Basically anything from that city they were in, shadar logoth, was cursed. He just happened to take the dagger. Taking the dagger didn’t actually start that mold spread, that happens every night in that town. And it was supposed to be mist, not mold, but whatever. It’s part of the cities curse.

Thom is not a part of the taint or the cursed dagger except being around mat while he has it.

There is a huge pool of power that all magic users touch when they channel it to use magic, a male half and a female half, think of it as a literal liquid pool, split in half. The yin yang symbols you see in the show, on flags, banners, the pool of water when nynaeve soloed the trolloc represents the two halves of the power. White for female, black for male. Anyways, the male half is tainted. It has a layer of taint/curse on top of it, to reach through it to use the pure power underneath the men must go through that taint. Think of it like cursed oil floating on the surface of the water (power). They reach through that nasty shit when they channel and it slowly drives them insane. Thom isn’t a channeler.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Caliane

actually had meant Matt, not Thom at all. typo there.

but yeah, was considering, were my suspicions on the knife based on things show in this, versus out of media knowledge, and cliches had they actually established that enchanted items even existed.

did that questioner scene happen in the books? shad was picking it apart as well.
women wearing a blue dress, with a well armed highly trained male companion. hmmmmm?
"yes or no, are you an Aie Sedia?" "I want you to lie to me. tell me your dress is green. Now, what color is your dress?" on his end, I suppose he could have let them go on purpose, to follow them. but on her end, she must have known how obvious they would have been to the White cloaks.. and know how easy it would be for someone to test if you can lie. unless we are supposed to believe the white cloaks don't know that.. despite, her freely passing that information on so easily.

Sterling

El Presidente
angreal, sa'angreal are the things that magnify power. ter'angreal are items that do stuff.

also it's Mat, not Matt.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
While you are correct in saying hands or movement isnt required the book did also say a lot of the women picked up bad habits for weaving and now cant do it without the hand gestures / movements
The Aes Sendai for the most part use their hands. I remember there’s a part in one book where other womanz casters make fun of that fact because it’s entirely unnecessary.

• 1Like

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah. I think it was tied to how they learned it and mental blocks people had like someone mentioned earlier. None of the forsaken ever use motions that I remember. I think it was just during a girl learning and she thinks it makes sense to her that she needs to point where the fireball goes, so she just did it that way.

Maybe I’m misremembering and some stuff did require motion, but I do remember tons of stuff happening with zero motion from the channelers.

Yeah. Most of the damane the Seanchan use didn't really do any hands.

Yes about the male and female having a hard time countering the other sex’s magic. Current users don’t know how to see each other’s. That knowledge eventually comes back. Currently they can kind of feel each other’s magic. And can tell when their weaves run into each other/interact but it’s still invisible.

Also correct about easier to shield someone who isn’t holding the power. When they’re connected to it it’s like they’re holding a rope that someone has to cut before they can throw the shield up. If they aren’t connected to the power they can just throw the shield up and the person won’t know they’re shielded until they reach for that rope and can’t grab it.

Nobody could see the weaves from opposite sexes. Cadsuane had a bird amulet that detected channeling and pointed into the direction, but among all of the ter/sa/angreal, that was pretty much the only one we were told about. And True power didn't even give that effect apparently. Example in Memory of Light, when Min exposes the Shadow's spy and the nearby damage and sul'dam gasp. I.e. they were totally surprised that knife stopped in the air.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nobody could see the weaves from opposite sexes. Cadsuane had a bird amulet that detected channeling and pointed into the direction, but among all of the ter/sa/angreal, that was pretty much the only one we were told about. And True power didn't even give that effect apparently. Example in Memory of Light, when Min exposes the Shadow's spy and the nearby damage and sul'dam gasp. I.e. they were totally surprised that knife stopped in the air.
Yeah you’re right, I was thinking of inverted weaves, which is when the forsaken come along and laugh that no one knows how to do it anymore. Inverted weaves is hiding it from your own sex though, not the other.

spronk

FPS noob
episode 5 has aired, only 3 left. no spoilers.

pretty uneven quality still, some parts good some parts real bad. Visuals all over the place. Its a real shame they decided to skip Caemlyn for now and move straight to Tar Valon, a lot of stuff just does NOT make sense doing this - how the fuck are Whitecloaks camping right outside Tar Valon, lol.

Matt/Rand and Egwene/Perrin were great although the CGI for Perrin is super awful. Child Valdan is an awesome crazy zealot. All the warder stuff was crap, no emotional connection really and should have been time used for more important stuff. Most of the stuff felt super rushed, its a real shame.

I'm guessing the next episode is the biggie of the season with a lot of shit going down, so 5 feels like a long, long bridge episode. Show still hasn't completely gone off the rails, its not good but its not so awful (Foundation, Y The Last Man) that its fun to laugh at. Just extremely mediocre with some really bad casting.

• 4Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
For a show that most people seem to agree sucks, it sure does get a lot of conversation around here, haha.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
E1D07D84-8880-4434-B44B-93654E66A16B.jpeg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
For a show that most people seem to agree sucks, it sure does get a lot of conversation around here, haha.
It's turned into a game of what large swath of plot will they remove or change drastically and what characters will they alter to the point of being barely recognizable.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf

Sterling

El Presidente
So episode 5 is where they officially stop pretending that they care about the source material at all.

• 1Like