Whiskey

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I like the flavor of the Henry McKenna BIB. It's middle of the road price is good for me too. Regular go-to is Knob Creek - thank you Costco.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have no idea what I am doing, most expensive alcohol I have ever bought is like 30 bucks. Open to all ideas.
There’s plenty of excellent booze options under $200 for scotch. For bourbon most of the stuff you can find on the shelves for greater than $100 is overpriced trash as the real good stuff gets cleaned out instantly.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of bourbon, I much prefer scotch but I tried this over the weekend and it was good:
oldf120-lg.jpg

Got a bottle of this now and it's excellent but pricey:
Macallan-Edition4-NewsHeader.jpg

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
My friend is a big scotch drinker, and I'd like to buy him a bottle for his birthday. He seems to prefer highland scotch, but he enjoys them all. I'd like to get something he hasn't had before. He buys a lot, especially from some of the more well-known ones like McCallan, Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, Scapa, Bowmore. So I'd like to avoid those. Any suggestions on a less well-known (but delicious) scotch that's still fairly widely available? My budget is $100, though I could go a bit higher for something good.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
My friend is a big scotch drinker, and I'd like to buy him a bottle for his birthday. He seems to prefer highland scotch, but he enjoys them all. I'd like to get something he hasn't had before. He buys a lot, especially from some of the more well-known ones like McCallan, Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, Scapa, Bowmore. So I'd like to avoid those. Any suggestions on a less well-known (but delicious) scotch that's still fairly widely available? My budget is $100, though I could go a bit higher for something good.

An excellent scotch that is very approachable and easy to drink. My wife, who hates peaty scotch will drink this. About $80, but I’d say it’s worth it. Below is also a great starter scotch and it’s a bit cheaper though not as good or complex as the Balvenie.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Also finally got a bottle of Angels Envy, it’s great for $45 but think it’s slightly overrated

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Got to drink on some Yamazaki 12yr this week and really liked it. Not sure what it goes for around town.

fris

Vyemm Raider
i've been on a Manhattan and old fashion kick lately. Crown makes a decent Rye. out of principle, and my best friend preferring bourbon, what non-bourbon whiskeys do y'all prefer to use in mixed drinks?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Been drinking Widow Jane, Buffalo Trace, and Wild Turkey 101. I think Buffalo Trace is the best whiskey under 30 bucks. Worth probably twice that.
Widow Jane has a really unique taste but is fairly pricey. Wild Turkey is a great bourbon with some kick. It's high proof so you can use ice like I tend to and not feel like you are watering it down.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Been drinking Widow Jane, Buffalo Trace, and Wild Turkey 101. I think Buffalo Trace is the best whiskey under 30 bucks. Worth probably twice that.
Widow Jane has a really unique taste but is fairly pricey. Wild Turkey is a great bourbon with some kick. It's high proof so you can use ice like I tend to and not feel like you are watering it down.

Ive been telling bourbon drinkers for years that evan williams is actually good unless your into the makers style of higher sweetness. Evans is my goto for my non-social drinking, and usually pick up basil haydens for social drinking. I also drink a fair bit of wt 101 if im aiming for a good drunk, for the mentioned higher abv

• 1Like

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Got an Oban 14 year single malt. Isn't bad but not as smooth as I expected. A bit high priced for the rough finish IMO.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I got to try skrewball today. It's the new peanut butter whiskey similar to fireball. Holy shit is good, and smooth

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Very likely yes. They are giving me a bottle to sample to customers, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell the shit out of it to anybody willing to taste it. It's damn good. I think it's still like 70 or 75 proof. I have to imagine it would give you a horrendous hangover though

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
A couple of our local bars do $2 Fireball Friday’s or $2 specials whenever certain sports events are on. We would go through 5-7 a night each. Next morning was always miserable. Then we all gave up Fireball for Lent and tried one when it was over, absolute disgusting and haven’t had one since. Of course I just shoot other stuff now that isn’t $2 so isn’t really helping.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
One time I took a swig off of a bottle of fireball that someone was passing around and thought it was great. Then I went to the liquor store and bought a pint of it and thought it was horrendous. I don't know what I tasted the first time but that stuff is not good.